Ask the Bear & Badger
  • TOO SLOW.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Manuka honey, the expensive stuff. Two teaspoons a day until it clears. Also standard honey and real lemon juice with boiling water, then fresh air, hot curry/chilli, bag of satsumas, paracetamol/ ibuprofen. If you have a sore throat toast, cloudy lemonade and salt and vinegar crisps. That lot sorts me out in a couple of days normally. Forget beachams etc.

Balls x 1000!  Reg, stock up on symptomatic relief.  There's no cure obviously but proper actual medicine can cut the symptoms down to a teeny level, so get nasal sprays, throat sprays, Strepsils, cough medicine, and some cold/flu pills.

If honey, lemon juice, chilli etc actually do anything then it's either not as effective as actual medicine or it's a big old placebo.
  • Works for me.

All the cold remedy stuff does nothing more than a 20p a pack paracetamol personally. Except vicks, which obviously will clear nasal congestion.
  • My doctor told me to take a paracetamol with a glass of thick hot squash. Apparently the squash coats the throat and eases the irritation and the paracetamol numbs the pain, the same as any commercial remedy.
  • What Elm says, but just don't buy branded stuff.  Paracetamol on its own isn't enough to relieve symptoms, because cold/flu relief medicines generally also have decongestants/expectorants/anti-inflammatories and some pick-me-ups like caffeine etc.

The bottom line is that if you take medicine, it'll clear up in 7-10 days, but if ou don't take anything you'll feel better in a week to a week and a half.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I have a cold. What is the best cold cure.

Time, basically.  It's a self limiting illness, it'll get better whatever you do.  So yes, manuka honey will give the illusion of working, as will any of Pliny's cures so helpfully provided by krs.  (So long as you don't actively poison yourself.)

However other stuff will genuinely help relieve symptoms in the interim.  Paracetamol and/or ibuprofen (if you're not asthmatic and don't have stomach problems) work really well.  Get the cheap and cheerful 16p stuff.  The expensive ones add nothing other than perhaps a bit of caffeine (which is what "Plus" usually means).  To be fair there is some evidence that caffeine potentiates analgesia, but you might as well have cheap medicines and coffee.  Most cough medicines are a bit of a con, and basically just line your throat for a bit to make it transiently comfortable - so for that you might as well stick to honey and lemon.  (Cheap honey is fine.)

Finally, if there was something you had when you were a kid that made you feel better take that.  Chances are it does absolutely nothing at all, but the placebo effect of "thing that made you better when Mum gave it to you" is not to be underestimated.  (I'm looking at you Buttercup Syrup.)
  • buttercup syrup is rank, I've never forgiven my mom for making me take it.
  • n0face wrote:
    buttercup syrup is rank, I've never forgiven my mom for making me take it.

True, but having had it shoved down my throat every time I had the slightest sniffle, my brain now regards it as synonymous with being looked after.

Also I'm told it's rather good in cocktails.  (That last bit of advice comes from a pretty much constantly inebriated friend and should almost certainly not be followed.)
  • My cure for a cold either pre or during is to go out and get shitfaced. Normally that's ten pints of Stella. Enough so I'm pissing every 20 minutes by the end of te night.

Reason it works I think is because I end up having a fcking awesome night sleep. And sleep is pretty much te best cure for most things. Sleep is heal time. It's fairly tried and tested for me.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Cheers guys. Had a spicy dinner, some honey and lemon because I like it, and some proper tablets. Feeling ok ATM. Anyone else get that feeling shitty in the morning and evening then feeling fine in the afternoon thing?
  • three1ne wrote:
    How are onscreen graphics done for live tv when something intersects them? Ive noticed this over the last year. But basically watch any Olympic event and youll see graphics for each country laid out on the track/field. The athletes pass over these graphics and appear to be matted out perfectly. Are they? Or is it just a basic matte (along with a planned out camera move) and we/I assume its a pin point matte? alympiks.jpg
    There are a number of different ways this has been achieved over the years, but as technology has progressed, in Europe the most popular systems are probably EVS Epsio Air & Epsio Live. Live is what we use on the footy, while Air tends to be used more for wanky sponsors logos.
    The cameras do have to perform various pans of the pitch prior to the live event, and the system records these pans and then triangulates all the information in real time.

all done by computer

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Awesome.
  • What should I have for my tea?  Needs to be fairly comforting, and quick to prepare.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Macaroni cheese
  • With 'awesome' being so established, by way of progression I propose replacing it with 'awful' since 'awesome' means 'some awe', not 'full of awe'.

That onscreen graphics technology is awful. Just awful.

Better, no?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I may just have that myself.
  • awful macaroni?

that a Wozza speciality?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    When a macaroni cheese is made properly it's something else. Best thing Gordon Ramsey ever did was a recipe for a posh mac and cheese with leek and pancetta and white wine. I make it every now and again - an exercise in indulgence.
  • krs wrote:
    ...since 'awesome' means 'some awe', not 'full of awe'.
    This is where your hypothesis fails.
  • And, instead of 'fulsome', 'fulful'.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ewe.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    krs wrote:
    And, instead of 'fulsome', 'fulful'.
    Gesundheit.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • krs wrote:
    And, instead of 'fulsome', 'fulful'.
    Not sure it works so well with 'wholesome' though.

Although that's possibly because 'wholesome' is a stupid word in the first place.
  • @Liveinadive
    @g.man
    1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg
    krs wrote:
    With 'awesome' being so established, by way of progression I propose replacing it with 'awful' since 'awesome' means 'some awe', not 'full of awe'.

equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Jerry Seinfeld - not funny, now with less hair.
  • Yeah, I dunno about him. I do like. Good timing, well crafted but all a bit too safe and obvious.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • How can I tell if my plants need more water, or have had too much water?  They're not looking too healthy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Keep adding water.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!