@_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    ‘Michael Nonceface 69000’ Now, that’s stella entertainment.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Context is everything.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Mare of Eastown finale was a fine finish to a great series, no sign of them making a second season, but I've no problem with that.

Something I pondered before was cleared up:
    Spoiler:
    Things can only get better.
  • I don't typically watch cop dramas but glad I stuck with Mare, excellent stuff all round. Enjoyed Mare's Mum performance; thought I recognised Jean Smart from somewhere!
    Spoiler:
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yar, Mare was excellent. I'm very glad there's quality like this out there, when we seem to be swamped with bollocks like Fargo s4 and other forgettable trash.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    I don't typically watch cop dramas but glad I stuck with Mare, excellent stuff all round. Enjoyed Mare's Mum performance; thought I recognised Jean Smart from somewhere!
    Spoiler:

Every time she came on screen me and my wife would shout “put your brother on… put your brother on… PUT YOUR BROTHER ON THE PHONE!”

Edit: also was super impressed by the representation of the excellent ‘mannequin pussy’ throughout the early episodes. Incredible band getting its due!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I was disappointed when Cox ascended Cadwalladr, because of course CERN's brilliant. So was Fermilab.

The ESA, NASA, Russia and others all cooperate on astro projects, leaving the EU's inclusiveness at odds with its excludes under that light. I'm not really challenging Cox's view ('tis his — fair enough), but his vociferousness struck me as pretty one-sided for someone who quantifies uncertainties.

The EU's been great to me, and so within my own realm of exposure I thoroughly support it, but I realise I don't have enough time to research its complexities beyond that, and wouldn't wish to patronise those who feel less fortunate by asserting it's always had their interests equally at heart.

My feeling is that it likely has, but I respect their right to disagree based on their life experiences in contrast to mine.
  • Big thanks for the early episode buzz for Easttown in here, I would have missed it otherwise.  Superb stuff. 

Fargo S4 next.
  • I enjoyed the end of Easttown. I hope there isn't another series. But it was great. Real downer towards the end.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Inside No.9 was good fun last night.
  • Escape wrote:
    I was disappointed when Cox ascended Cadwalladr, because of course CERN's brilliant. So was Fermilab.

The ESA, NASA, Russia and others all cooperate on astro projects, leaving the EU's inclusiveness at odds with its excludes under that light. I'm not really challenging Cox's view ('tis his — fair enough), but his vociferousness struck me as pretty one-sided for someone who quantifies uncertainties.

The EU's been great to me, and so within my own realm of exposure I thoroughly support it, but I realise I don't have enough time to research its complexities beyond that, and wouldn't wish to patronise those who feel less fortunate by asserting it's always had their interests equally at heart.

My feeling is that it likely has, but I respect their right to disagree based on their life experiences in contrast to mine.

No yeah you’re right we should continue to bend over backwards to check our middle class privilege when referring to people who still don’t understand what they lost, that sounds like a brilliant presenting style
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I wasn't a leaver, but my lower-class lifestyle's such that I haven't noticed any difference yet. I sure didn't want the Tories taking us out; that's agreed. To gather enough steam for rejoin you'll need lots of leavers to change their tune. I should've crossquoted in the pol thread.

I think Cox is a nice enough bloke, but the reasons behind his career making the EU attractive to him and extraneous to me should've framed our telly chats (about our likes and dislikes in common), rather than being engineered towards both sides digging each other in, of which I feel he was a guilty participant. Albeit genuine and well-meaning in his tweets. Anyway, it's old ground, innit.

If only Partridge were retreading his. I read about some people wanting Coogan and Fielding to present The One Show, as if their toothless satire's appropriately respectful instead of a missed open...

Goal.gif

Feels like lowkey homage was a BBC condition.

Key should've ripped Allwright's consumermanning to shreds. Reflects badly on me, dunnit. Like when I enjoyed Stewart Lee calling Chiles a speaking Toby jug, filled to the brim with hot piss.

Key's talented and they give him his touchscreen shite every week, when there's so much realworld inspiration for glorious self-assuredness in that role. I get that he can't step on Alan's toes in that way, but his awkward self-awareness is unrealistic beyond local radio.

It might've been fun to apply Morgan and Reid's faux tension, with Jennie as a female Alan offscreen. She's halfway there, really, but without his BC pathos.
  • JonB wrote:
    Just over halfway through The Innocent, an 8-part Spanish crime drama on Netflix. It's been good so far. Focusing on different characters each episode and slowly revealing who they are as their stories converge. It could still end up trying to be too clever for its own good, but so far it's managed its twists without getting too daft.
    Finished now, and while there was something annoyingly stupid in the final episode, it wasn't enough to ruin it. If you fancy a twisty-turny thriller, you could do a lot worse.
  • Film Critic Hulk has done a piece on Mare of Eastwood and the tropes of small-town murder dramas. As usual, it’s lo-o-o-ng but good.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/51987407
  • I also liked this weeks number 9
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yeah another decent No.9 this week.
  • JonB wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Just over halfway through The Innocent, an 8-part Spanish crime drama on Netflix. It's been good so far. Focusing on different characters each episode and slowly revealing who they are as their stories converge. It could still end up trying to be too clever for its own good, but so far it's managed its twists without getting too daft.
    Finished now, and while there was something annoyingly stupid in the final episode, it wasn't enough to ruin it. If you fancy a twisty-turny thriller, you could do a lot worse.

I quite enjoyed this. It's another one of the Netflix Harlan Coben adaptations, and I think being Spanish gave it a certain grit and plausibility that would've been lost if it were English, like The Stranger (also on Netflix) from last year.
  • The Stranger just felt amateurish, I think. Poorly acted, poorly shot, etc. Same as that Behind Her Eyes thing recently – was that one of his?
  • kestla wrote:
    I quite enjoyed this. It's another one of the Netflix Harlan Coben adaptations, and I think being Spanish gave it a certain grit and plausibility that would've been lost if it were English, like The Stranger (also on Netflix) from last year.
    Yeah, I think so. It was much better than The Stranger anyway.
  • Just finished s5 of veep. Struggling to see how s6 is gonna work. Will see it out anyway as it's been a cracker overall.

What a bunch of glorious assholes.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • poprock wrote:
    The Stranger just felt amateurish, I think. Poorly acted, poorly shot, etc. Same as that Behind Her Eyes thing recently – was that one of his?

Na, I think that was someone else, but I agree, that was cack as well.

• Series 2 of This Time with Alan Partridge is the weakest Partridge. A few good laughs scattered through a lot of mediocrity. Well behind Mid Morning Matters, light years away from Ianucci era. Still very watchable.
  • Would agree with that.

I hear the Oasthouse is good, gonna give that a spin next I think.
  • I still enjoyed Alan on TV every Friday still, ofc.
  • Oasthouse is good aye.
  • Oasthouse is solid. Definitely better than the latest TV stuff which has been justfinebutnotmuchmore.
  • Finished watching The Great last night. Really liked it, a wonderful mix of hilarious dialogue, brutal historical detail and good performances. Recommended.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Oasthouse is great fun, very funny.
    The latest series however is quite weak.

My brother just bought tickets for my dad and I to go with him to see his new Live Show in London next year. Should be good
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • This series has been miles better than the first which I thought was a bit weak. Oasthouse is the best Partridge has been since the travel tavern - it’s absolutely wonderful.
  • High praise. It is brilliant but I think the books (well, audiobooks narrated by Partridge) still top it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!