The TV you like thread
  • So episode 1 of Shogun got off to a decent start. Cosmo Jarvis seemingly channeling his inner Tom Hardy. The last oriental show of this ilk I quite enjoyed was Marco Polo, but this seems a few notches higher, in terms of production and acting. Just don't call it 'the Japanese Game of Thrones' because that's something only a Western barbarian dog would say.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • watching strike which i think is quite old. Its pretty good
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I liked the first series. Think there's a new one out soon?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    So episode 1 of Shogun got off to a decent start. Cosmo Jarvis seemingly channeling his inner Tom Hardy. The last oriental show of this ilk I quite enjoyed was Marco Polo, but this seems a few notches higher, in terms of production and acting. Just don't call it 'the Japanese Game of Thrones' because that's something only a Western barbarian dog would say.

Can't wait to see this, had it on my watchlist for a while now.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • The regime trailer looks ace, Kate Winslet, political satire, succession influence = sign me up
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    So episode 1 of Shogun got off to a decent start. Cosmo Jarvis seemingly channeling his inner Tom Hardy. The last oriental show of this ilk I quite enjoyed was Marco Polo, but this seems a few notches higher, in terms of production and acting. Just don't call it 'the Japanese Game of Thrones' because that's something only a Western barbarian dog would say.

Can't wait to see this, had it on my watchlist for a while now.

2 episodes down and it's great.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The New Look - the new big budget story of Christian Dior. Where to start with this fucking dumpster fire of a show? First off, it's deathly dull. There's nazis and war and torture etc so there should be some spark of excitement. But no, not an iota of it. It plods along at a leaden pace.

Secondly, whoever cast this thing should be shot. Ben Mendehlson, playing against type, bumbles and mumbles and bores his way through the lead role. He has as much character as a toilet roll. Maisey Williams is supposed to be his sister in spite of being 30 years younger than him. So every time she appears we think she's his daughter. Even Dior seems to think this sometimes judging by the way he treats her. And the less said about whatever John Malkovich is doing the better. 

The thing that really bugs the shit out of me, though, and it's not something that bothers everyone it seems, is the accents. Everyone has a put-on cod accent. The French speak to each other with this cod French accent. I suppose this is meant to indicate they are speaking French (btw, John Malkovich can't even do a cod French accent, he just sounds like he's had a stroke). The Germans speak to each other in cod German accents, for the same reason I guess. The problem then is that when the French speak to the Germans they continue in English using those same cod accents. So what language are they supposed to be speaking to each other? English characters join and they also just speak English to everyone. They go to Spain and everyone just continues speaking English in their cod accents. Everyone understands everyone else with absolutely no difficulty. So what fucking language are they speaking and how did they all learn it so perfectly? Claes Bang's stupid character speaks German at one point, to indicate he's bilingual. So what the fuck is everyone else doing? 

I'll probably be forced to watch the rest of it, but really it's the televisual equivalent of being put through a wood chipper.
  • "From the people who brought you 'Allo 'Allo".
  • From the film thread, but this is actually a TV series on Apple:
    g.man wrote:
    Oh yes please!

First 2 episodes "out" on the streaming sites. I've watched the first 3.5 minutes and was amused, so can confidently say that if you like Fielding and Boosh, you'll like this.
  • Really, I thought it was a film. Silly me.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Caught the first episode of HBO's The Regime last night and I'm not sure what to make of it.  Initially trailers maybe hinted at a future fascist Britain, but apparently it's set in a fictitious central-European state.  But all the actors speak in either a plum British accent or regional ones, which only adds to the confusion.  Kate Winslet always gives good bang for her buck, but she's let down by the script here - its a like a much less funny 'The Death of Stalin'.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Shogun ep 1 was pretty good. Makes such good use of its run time. Got a bit confused with the Portuguese in English bit but that's probably the only thing that broke me out of the episode. Looking forward to watching ep 2 tonight.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Caught the first episode of HBO's The Regime last night and I'm not sure what to make of it.  Initially trailers maybe hinted at a future fascist Britain, but apparently it's set in a fictitious central-European state.  But all the actors speak in either a plum British accent or regional ones, which only adds to the confusion.  Kate Winslet always gives good bang for her buck, but she's let down by the script here - it’s a like a much less funny 'The Death of Stalin'.
    Yeah very underwhelming, I have too many issues with it to list
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But annoyed that both Google and Wikipedia told me Constellation was 4 episodes long when both actually meant 4 episodes out so far but it's 8 long.

Do yeah the end was not the end.

It's got some decent scenes and there's scope for fun in the premise. Enjoying the occasional jump scare and the woman and daughter are both quite good, but some of the pseudo science is starting to do my head in a bit too much...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Always got some time for a bit of Farrell.

• djchump wrote:
    From the film thread, but this is actually a TV series on Apple:
    g.man wrote:
    Oh yes please!

First 2 episodes "out" on the streaming sites. I've watched the first 3.5 minutes and was amused, so can confidently say that if you like Fielding and Boosh, you'll like this.

Watched the first few episodes tonight. Really enjoyed it, it's like a never ending line up of British comedian actors. Lots of fun.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Shogun ep 1 was pretty good. Makes such good use of its run time. Got a bit confused with the Portuguese in English bit but that's probably the only thing that broke me out of the episode. Looking forward to watching ep 2 tonight.

Up to episode 3 but yeah, the accents thing is annoying as usual. At least the Japanese speak Japanese and they don't understand the others automatically. But some of the Portuguese speakers have a put-on accent, and some don't. The Spanish have the same put-on accent. But when the English guy changes between Portuguese and English his accent stays the same. Seeing as the Portuguese don't seem to be any big name actors they could just have got real Portuguese in there and got Jarvis to learn a few words of it. As it is, it's a bit of a mess.
  • Yeah but then we wouldn’t be able to enjoy Jarvis channeling his inner Tom Hardy from Taboo.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I accepted it for ep 2. I'm guessing that Blackthorne is supposed to be fluent in both Portuguese and English. Accent thickness seems to suggest fluency.

This Jarvis bloke is a smoosh together of Tom Hardy and Andrew Lincoln. Crazy eyes acting.
  • Just wait till ep 3 when he loses the plot when conversing with the locals.  Hilarious, but in a good way.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But did he lose the plot in English or Portuguese?
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Loved the first two episodes of Shogun. If this was a Euro-Japanese production I’d get if they went full languages and subtitles, but I think it’s a fair compromise to have English-Japanese only. The most appealing part of the story is Hardy-Lite’s character fish out of water experience of being in a completely foreign land.

You could argue there shouldn’t be any Japanese subtitles, I think they did that in the first TV miniseries, but this version is focussing on the Japanese characters much more.
    Things can only get better.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Just wait till ep 3 when he loses the plot when conversing with the locals.  Hilarious, but in a good way.

Ha! Didn't realise the ep 3 was also out so had a suprise double bill. That bit was great.
    Kow wrote:

It was Dutch, actually.
    mannaboy wrote:
    ... first TV miniseries, but this version is focussing on the Japanese characters much more.

There's a miniseries? I can has more?

• mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Yeah Richard Chamberlain in surprisingly good adaptation from what I recall.
    Things can only get better.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's from 1980. It was pretty popular at the time but I don't remember much about it. In fact, I probably wasn't allowed to watch it. Toshiro Mifune is in it, which alone makes it worth a watch.
  • Oooooh, it's older than me. Dunno why that's a surprise, TV definitely existed back then.
  • Can't believe I didn't realise a whole adventure time spin off mini series came out late last year.
    It's called Fionna and Cake and if you like adventure time you need to watch it. It was excellent.
  • Kow wrote:
    It was Dutch, actually.

It's all Greek to me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!