Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Season 2 of The Responder and Martin Freeman is proving he's a hell of a versatile actor. Although he does the desperate, on-the-edge cop to a tee, his comedy chops show through in a wicked little vein of black humour too.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yep we've watched the first couple of episodes and it's very good, as was the whole first series. The cycles are depressing, but like you say, here's great in it. His cop partner is good too, the rest of the cast then somewhat weaker, but I'm looking forward to the painful rest...
  • @davyK

You see your referencing a lot of stuff that I'm not aware of, Cursed Earth et al. I need to look that one up obviously.

But Fallout is a gaming series that goes back twenty-five years + and, The Last of Us withstanding, I don't think there's been a more faithful videogame adaptation to small-screen than this.

Bethesda even supplied them with all their original artwork, and the series creators 3D-printed them all out - everything you see, from the picket fences to the hanging pictures on the walls of the post-apocalyptic shacks, it's all real. As a life-long Fallout fan, it's so gratifying to see such attention to detail!

The casting is also superb as well - many people have drawn parallels between the two protagonists and what we had to endure with the rebooted Star Wars franchise, Rey and Finn - they are alike, but instead, so well written.

And that ending really is the crux of the matter - the far off vista, that glimpse of New Vegas, (which the so-called faithful Fallout fans have used to deride this TV series so much because it broke the lore - which of course it didn't!) - that's such a HUGE prospect for this series, The Strip, being such a revered place in the video game franchise -yet never fully realised on screen before because of Obsidian's shortcomings. Golly, that really set the heart a flutter, seeing that city shimmering in the distance....
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Really enjoyed a man in full, considering it was written 25 years ago it's themes have aged very well.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Kow wrote:
    Season 2 of The Responder and Martin Freeman is proving he's a hell of a versatile actor. Although he does the desperate, on-the-edge cop to a tee, his comedy chops show through in a wicked little vein of black humour too.

Yeah, he’s fucking ace in it. Love the little bits of scouse black humour. He’s having quite the career.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Fallout is a fun show but it is so contrived that all these characters kept meeting each other across the wasteland that just showed some really lazy writing by Nolan and co. That is its biggest weakness. Its strength is it nails my memories of the tone of the game even if it’s not completely accurate.

I wouldn’t even try to compare it to The Last of Us which is far far above it as a TV show with two leads who I didn’t think were right for the show but now I can’t imagine anyone else playing them. Series 2 is going to be fucking brutal.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The contrived meetings are fine with me - things like that are what made Fargo fun for example. And there was the maguffin they were looking for after all.

I ended up enjoying Fallout and I imagine if I had played the games I'd have likely loved it. I suspect the food items and packaging were enjoyable references to the original material.

For all my moans I did keep watching and the cast were excellent.  It was fun.  I'm a bit of a contrarian and instinctively kick against hype.

Have always been suspicious of licenced games, adaptations etc.  So this fell into that category.

@Blocks100 - Cursed Earth was a multi-episode Judge Dredd adventure from classic era 2000AD (circa 1978) involving crossing a radioactive wasteland. Some of the episodes caused controversy because of its unauthorised use of known brands at the time (the Mc D v King war was one example, and use of the jolly green giant in another episode). Its visual depiction of old bashed up tech being re-used  pretty much set the template for that type of romp.

To be fair it took inspiration from a book called Damnation Alley - which was about a  journey across a wasteland. There was a film of that with George Peppard I think. It was a bit crap if I remember right. But the artwork and ideas in this strip were/are astounding.

cursed-earth-int.jpg

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.howtolovecomics.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F08%2FCursed02-e1471427195948.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=8634e7c9baecf21a2d19cd6bbd80f8fc0cca7c0ccf60eb5a9ede462330583816&ipo=images
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In a form of a retraction....2000AD printed this mini strip after the jolly green giant episode..

f4f87692846373e3e91bfce3001697c5--to-the-green.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Last night's Inside No 9 was a top tenner for me. Great performances and bleak as fuck.
  • I enjoyed it more than the first episode but not a top tenner for me. I do hope they do one or two proper horror episodes this series.
  • 7/10 for me I think.
  • Thought both episodes of Inside number 9 was pish.
    The ending of the first one was ridiculous while the second episode had huge plot holes.
    No doubt there will be a couple of good episodes this series but really won’t miss this show.

• 6.5 and 7 for me.  Happy enough.  Would like to see them doing something else now though.
  • I'd love a Xmas episode every year though, that always seems like an event.
  • Thought both episodes of Inside number 9 was pish. The ending of the first one was ridiculous while the second episode had huge plot holes. No doubt there will be a couple of good episodes this series but really won’t miss this show.

What were the huge plot holes in the second episode? Not saying there weren't any just that nothing really bothered me or stood out.
  • Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:

• Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:

• Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Fair enough, you two both feel it was plausible, I found the original plan was so ambiguous that it was impossible to piece together what was adhoc / luck and that meant I wasn't buying any of it.
    There's bits there that are just too convenient to help the plot along that I can't believe would actually happen

• Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Defo easy to see how it can be read both ways, s'all gravy
  • Defo easy to see how it can be read both ways, s'all gravy
    Fucking hate gravy :)

• What do you put on your chips then?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!