Far Cries...
  • What’s the opinion on best in the genre then? (The genre being open world FPS.) The format is somewhat honed and doesn’t change much sure but personally I don’t think anything really rivals Far Cry for what it is, and I always like to play one every few years.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R will always hold the title for the best open world FPS. Its atmosphere is without parallel.

Of course Metro tried to become an open world FPS, but then shat the bed in its last few levels, reverting to type and becoming a corridor shooter again. First two levels were great though.

You could even argue Fallout 4 deserves a mention, but let's not blur the lines here with FPS-RPG hybrids.

Dunno where Far Cry really sits in the pantheon of open world FPS's. Too many sequels made it too bland a series in the end. All that tower climbing, icon enemy tagging, upgrade mechanics and Ubi-map stuff just made everything too god damn samey.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm with Blocks here. STALKER is the absolute ruthless daddy. I cleared two of those games and they absolutely sucked my soul dry.
    I would champion Far Cry a little, however, in the classic Ubisoft manner there's a real nice difficulty slope, there's a great progression model, and they're not afraid to let you absolutely fuck stuff up as they're confident in the systems they built.
    I don't think they ever bettered 4 (3 is more insane fun, but man I played it on 360 and it was JANKY, which coloured my opinion) and I've found some of the spinoffs cheap shite. The Blood Dragon one in particular was a massive grab at the cult popularity of Drive and Tron getting released and just feels really poorly dated now. Which I guess is apt as it's an 80s themed game.
    Metro has been an up and down experience for me. I loved the first and again had a heavy dark experience on PC. Helped because where the PC was in the place we were renting was essentially a cupboard and I had to have headphones on. I really bounced off the new one. It looks the business but it's not my Metro which is obviously as fucking subjective as it comes, but it just feels too much pretty funnel stealth. Possibly that's exactly at odds with my Far Cry love, but the latter lets me still rek a joint with brute force when the alarms are pulled.

TL;Dr stalker for the leets, far cry between the sheets.
  • Far cry 4 is the sweet spot but five is plenty playable as long as you don’t expect to much interaction
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bounced quite hard off 4; didn't reallly dig the setting and it was clear it was a PS3 port when I had it on PS4.  Liking what I've sampled of FC5 so far.  No more climbing towers, so you can just explore things organically, makes a big difference. Gunplay feels as solid as ever, if not more. And at this early stage, feels like I'm really having to earn my dollar to buy new weapons and stuff.

Of course playing on Hard without the enemy tagging makes it feel like new too.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    that sounds hard
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    is that even with the doggy?
  • Yeah got the dog on my team.
  • And it’s co op isn’t it?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • jpg

Bonafide leak apparently. Yes it's him off Breaking Bad as the main...baddie  antagonist. Back to the Jungle though. Yawn.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Haven’t touched Far Cry since 3, though I liked the sound of 5.  Next gen jungle foliage...might be back in.
    Get schwifty.
  • Who was he in breaking bad?? Doesn't ring a bell. More Far Cry can fuck off. They should've quit with 3.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Clearly the owner of the burger chain.
    Get schwifty.
  • It's been years since I watched that show. I don't really remember much about it tbh.
  • Far Cry 5 had the shittest story of anything ever.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I don’t really play a Far Cry game for the story.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Far Cry 5 had the shittest story of anything ever.

It sure did but it also had some amazing combat rooms
  • Raiziel wrote:

Yeah and this is why Far Cry 5 was so utterly shit, the story was forced on you, repeatedly and repetitively. I ended up muting the game audio and watching something else on a second screen while I played through the utter shite sections as fast as I could so I could get back to actual decent part of the game, the open world traipsing.

Basically a terrible game but fun could be had if you ignored the story as much as possible and just wandered around with some companions doing your own thing, disabling almost all HUD elements helped greatly too.

A low 4/10.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:

Yeah and this is why Far Cry 5 was so utterly shit, the story was forced on you, repeatedly and repetitively. I ended up muting the game audio and watching something else on a second screen while I played through the utter shite sections as fast as I could so I could get back to actual decent part of the game, the open world traipsing.

Basically a terrible game but fun could be had if you ignored the story as much as possible and just wandered around with some companions doing your own thing, disabling almost all HUD elements helped greatly too.

A low 4/10.

I'm not gonna argue massively above your 4, but I think there were some incredible shootouts and some (overly done,) sidequests that let you do some great mechanics - the plane flying ones were a standout.

It's not a "severely compromised" game. It's maybe a solid 6.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Far Cry 6 it is, then.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Far Cry 6 it is, then.

Seems apt
  • I thought the all flying stuff was incredibly dreadful but I'm glad you got some enjoyment from it. The physics were just sort of messed up and the sense of speed was all wrong. The driving wasn't too bad though as I recall, they did a good job of making it work well on mouse & keyboard, most games don't bother having the right kind of gradual acceleration on the inputs.
  • Raiziel wrote:

Chicken chain.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    Chicken chain.

Clearly.
    Get schwifty.
  • Was Far Cry Primal any good?  I've got that in my games library for some reason but have never played.
  • Also, not sure that's another jungle area in 6, looks like it could be somewhere like Morocco, which would be cool.  Can't believe there's not more love for FC4, it was pretty stellar I thought.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Also, not sure that's another jungle area in 6, looks like it could be somewhere like Morocco, which would be cool.  Can't believe there's not more love for FC4, it was pretty stellar I thought.

I loved it

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Rock the casbah
  • I loved 4 as well.

Haven't enjoyed 5 as much, not played it in months, I'll go back to it eventually. It's a bit like ghost recon breakpoint - I loved wildlands, couldn't wait for breakpoint, then was immensely disappointed in it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, I did about 8 hours of 5 then was done.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!