Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Weirdly I’ve done it before (in multiple sittings) but it seems to have forgotten that and my high scores too. But not my XP/level. Does it reset your scores each month or something?

I’ve had fewer mis-drops playing in handheld mode with the Hori d-pad joycon. I don’t know if my Pro Pad is feeling it’s age but the d-pad on that is pony.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No idea about score resetting etc...maybe the updates messed that up? I'm playing the Steam version.

I haven't really applied myself to be honest. Have only clocked up a few hours on the game in all its modes but I intend to get stuck in. I have the physical copy on order from limitedrun for Switch too (hence my post in the Switch thread about getting a proper dpad). I have played a fair bit of Tetris with an arcade stick (played the Wii game using a stick) - I may prefer that way. I have a stick for Switch so may give that a try too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Let me know how it is with an arcade stick. I was pondering the Hori mini just to play TEC with.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Update from the Enhance discord suggests that the loss of scores was a bug on the Switch version after the last update. There’s another update to resolve the issue, but if you want your old scores back, you can go to the title screen, then OPTIONS, GAMEPLAY, and then RESTORE HIGH SCORE. This’ll only work if you had it set to share your scores with the community. However, if your current local scores are better than the shared ones before the wipe, you’ll lose those doing the process above.

I think I’ll go for it. I didn’t break any of my records after the wipe, except Journey mode. And that crashed before it recorded my score anyway. So I don’t have anything to lose.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Let me know how it is with an arcade stick. I was pondering the Hori mini just to play TEC with.

I have a the Hori mini. I got it to play the shmups I am picking up for it but I haven't used it in anger yet. It's a bit light - no metal base - but it seems OK. Have played some Darius Gaiden with it but will give it an outing with Tetris Effect arrives.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I have a the Hori mini. I got it to play the shmups I am picking up for it but I haven't used it in anger yet. It's a bit light - no metal base - but it seems OK. Have played some Darius Gaiden with it but will give it an outing with Tetris Effect arrives.

Hilarious....I plugged that wee stick into my PC and it works OK. Now I would need to map my controls - I kept rotating the wrong way because A and B locations on Switch controls are opposite to me.....but I cleared that level I was stuck on first go!!  No mistaken hard drops.

The stick is a mite small for lap play, and it really is light -it's lighter than a standard pad for example - but it's grand. Stick nice and clicky and the buttons are a good size and responsive. I tried playing Mushi for the first time in months with it too - felt good to me. But the size does take getting used to.  Great for the price - you could do a LOT worse.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'll definitely think about it. Hori make good stuff and the price is right, but as you mention, it's not really something you can keep on your lap.

So far I'm doing OK playing TEC on my Switch in handheld mode, but using the Hori dpad joycon.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Stick v pad comes down to the individual. I've seen mad shmup clears done (The Futari v1.01 clear at GDQ) with a 360 pad which is considered a bad one (though I always thought it was fine.). Moving from one to the other takes time and you have to suffer a drop in performance for a short time. I've always preferred a stick for shmups and Tetris. I play quite a bit of Tetris with a pad but if I'm trying to grind out a 40line best time I will use the stick. I prefer a pad for platformers et al.

Plonk a cushion on your lap and the Hori stick will be grand. I have a PS1 mini Hori too - but it's a chunky wee rascal. Has the same lap footprint issue though so I do have a bigger Hori stick for PS1/2 and I can use it with PC via an adaptor.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Completed Journey mode.

This feels like a Dreamcast game. Or at least what the Dreamcast was about.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The Zone meter would have been on the VMU screen.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    In other news, digging the Humanity demo.

Though I have let thousands die already. This is going to be like Pikmin, where the biggest barrier to completing the game is my inflated sense of guilt.
  • It's amazing how quickly you can get used to letting hundreds of people plummet stupidly to their doom. More like lemmings than Lemmings.

It turns out trying to save all of humanity is impossible.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Luckily I feel no such need to protect tetriminos.

Sprint in Tetris Effect Connected down to 1:29.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh I say. congrats.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Getting closer!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Returned to Puyo Puyo v Tetris on Switch in advance of Tetris Effect arriving for it (if the delivery company takes their fingers out of their arse that is). I only really played it casually because of the joycons being useless for it but the 8bitDO pro plays really well with it. (well - my skills are only casual plus despite my liking for the game - I still haven't beaten a proper 15 level marathon mode on a modern game...)

It's a really nice implementation though I could without the silly kiddy branding and cutscenes (skippable mercifully).

68 edit:128 seconds for 40 lines. Dear oh dear. Need to knuckle down.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    1m 8 is really fast!

Talking of Puyo Puyo Tetris, I need to go back to the sequel; I’m at the final boss.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    1m 8 is really fast!

Talking of Puyo Puyo Tetris, I need to go back to the sequel; I’m at the final boss.

Shit.....128secs!!!!!!!!! What a dick I am.....:(
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah. That’s still really good! You can aim for under two minutes.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Something that's become part of my daily routine, Full Rainbow.

Solve the seven letter anagram as quickly as possible to get the fullest 'rainbow'.
  • That’s a good one. Cheers Swirl.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Ah. That’s still really good! You can aim for under two minutes.

My best is 1'58" but not getting to close.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    That’s a good one. Cheers Swirl.

No problem, enjoy.
    davyK wrote:
    My best is 1'58" but not getting to close.

Like JRPGs of old, Tetris is all about the grind.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye...you need to put the time in.  My rotations are still not always instinctive - esp. on L pieces.

Need to consciously practice soft focussing on the piece queue as well. I'm not consistent enough at that.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Need to consciously practice soft focussing on the piece queue as well. I'm not consistent enough at that.

Yeah. Like learning to type looking at the screen and not your hands.
  • I never ever look at the queue and often forget the reserve slot.  That's why I am so shit at Tetris.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I keep a straight line in the reserve slot - when I remember to.  I also use it occasionally.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Yeah. Like learning to type looking at the screen and not your hands.

Modern tetris games are well designed - the colour of each piece tells you its shape so you only have to see the colour - but I'm not good/practiced enough to use that well.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah. In TEC I see the L and J as orange and blue rather than left/right or L/J. I know what each colour will fit into.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Limitedrun have written off my copy of Tetris Effect as lost in transit so they are sending me another one. They offered a refund but I'd rather just have the game.

I ordered it pre-Christmas and it probably got lost in the madness - likely a Royal Mail fuckup.

So another few weeks then.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!