Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ha. How the fuck are they still selling then? It's bizzare, the writing must be excellent.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Given the Nintendo Gamer website is staying up, presumably their forum is staying up too. A dead magazine will still have a forum, Edge - Future's flagship gaming magazine - will not. Craziness all round.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    [@ Mod, I don't think you speak for everyone there. I certainly don't want video most of the time. Not for an actual serious review anyway, Zero Punctuation would be the most I'd want. As far as reviews go, since I don't use them to inform buying decisions, I don't really mind if it's a couple of weeks after it came out. Especially when it's on a format I don't have.

I puzzled as to why when I said video not screenshots you thought I meant video reviews, but for clarity I meant gameplay/trailers.

As for not caring about reviews from a purchasing perspective then either a) you don't care about them at all so it doesn't matter if they're online or in print or b) you're reading reviews of games you weren't already interested in; in which case you could read them at release just as easily as in a fortnight.

If the latter, then I'm gald you've got time to read reviews of games you weren't interested in on formats you don't have.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I enjoy reading a well written review, even if it's something I don't want.

I've enjoyed reading all the Guild Wars 2 reviews, even though I won't buy it. Mod, you make it seem like it's HOURS OUT OF YOUR LIFE to read a review. I just like a good piece of game criticism.
  • I didn't think you necessarily meant video reviews. But I thought about what videogame related video I watch and Zero Punctuation was all I came up with. I don't go on stuff like Game Trailers, except for the E3 shows.

I'm not arguing that print gives me any greater ease of reading reviews, just that they aren't really time sensitive to me, so the delay of print isn't a factor. I read the review of The Old Republic in Edge despite no intention of ever playing it.

Do you honestly only ever read the reviews for games you want, on formats you own?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I do like it when I've enjoyed a game and then read a review that is of the same opinion. Reading through a review that is lavishing praise on a game you love and nodding in agreement is great.

I know what Dante is saying regarding using them as a guide to buying games. I know my own taste so even if a game gets poor scores I'll chance my arm if I know it's in a genre I'll enjoy, so they're of no use to me in that way.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Paul's right. I also like it when I've played a game for a bit then check reviews. I bought Kirby's Epic Yarn and played throughout without having seen a review. Then after I finished I looked up reviews and was pleasantly surprised by how many critics liked it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I read Edge's review of Theatrhythm and it was basically "It's a Final Fantasy rhythm game, YMMV. [6]" in listless, bored prose. One of the worst reviews I've ever read.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:

It's fucking weird, it could be from February 1993 or February 1994 but it just seems wrong for both. I'm so fucking confused.

What's the issue number? Mean Machines Sega started in Oct 92 so you should be able to work it out from that.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    'No. 16' apparently.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Do you honestly only ever read the reviews for games you want, on formats you own?

I don't read reviews at all any more, whether I fancy the game or already own it, and certainly not for stuff I'm not already interested in on formats I don't own. I like games but I don't like them that much.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    There's still a huge stack of Mean Machines and Your Sinclairs in my parents loft. And Beanos.
    How do you know what's in Beano's loft?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I've been in Beano's loft.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Can you have a dungeon in the loft? I guess you can have dungeon anywhere really.
  • @Mod74, I listened to an interview with Simon Pegg recently, I'll need to think which podcast it was on so you can look it up.

He was talking about how movie journalism has changed to the detriment of the whole medium.  He said that movie journalism once protected the enjoyment of films and reported in a responsible way, rather than the current trend of sating some consumers' desire for spoilerific previews, trailers, and general hoopla that goes with it.  For better or worse (hint: the latter) the Internet has facilitated those who wish to pander to our short attention spans and requirement for instant gratification.

I think it applies to videogame journalism.  While I consume these things too, I don think constant access to the very latest is necessarily a good thing.  It's all diluted over time.  A monthly magazine saves up all those tid-bits and re-presents them as a filling picnic of info.  A gameplay video is fine, but should be taken in the context of a review.  Given the choice of just one or the other, I honestly think the written review is better, but I think the world would vote otherwise.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Can you have a dungeon in the loft? I guess you can have dungeon anywhere really.
    Etymologically it comes from the principal tower of a castle (so, yes) but has come to mean a confined prison or cell, generally underground (so, kinda yes, but kinda no).
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Saving everything up for a 13 yearly digest is fine if you haven't got the internet, but I have. Once you remove everything newsy, previewy and reviewy you're left with the editorial and features which for most mags is pretty slim pickings.

That's why I picked up Retro Gamer, nothing in there was time sensitive.

As for the video vs review, I'd like to think I can tell much more about my likelihood of enjoying a game from a 2 minute gameplay clip than any written review.
  • Agreed, particularly if you've been at the pastime for decades. Most videogames are not difficult to decipher on sight (anymore).
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's a fucking sad state of affairs.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    FranticPea wrote:
    There's still a huge stack of Mean Machines and Your Sinclairs in my parents loft. And Beanos.
    How do you know what's in Beano's loft?

I know what's in everyone's loft.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Not strictly relevant but to give an example, I bought Sleeping Dogs without seeing a review, or a single trailer/gameplay vid. because I_R said (on Live) it was great.

I hadn't even been reading reactions in the thread because I'd mistakenly thought it was the next game in that Japanese hostess series.

I can trust IR's opinion because I know things he thought were great in the past I did to and things he thought were shit I did as well. When you read a mag you've got no or little previous knowledge of the reviewers tastes, especially if you look at the EDGE. The reviewer might have loved games I hated and hated games I loved.

That's why metacritic has actually been useful, if you're trying to gauge opinion the only reasonable thing you can do is try to take an average from many.

That's not to say there isn't value and worth in reading an entertaining or thought provoking review. But from a will I like this/should I buy this perspective they're -in isolation- pretty useless. To me at least.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    'No. 16' apparently.

Definitely 1994 then. MMS must have started in Nov 92 not Oct, my bad.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Arcade was the best gaming magazine ever.  Shame it didn't last long.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Good shout on Arcade, that was a great mag!

Another multi format one I loved was Ultimate Future Games. The mag probably wasn't that great looking back but I think it was just the excitement of the era. PS, Saturn, 3DO, Jaguar, CD32, CD-i and ULTRA64, lol. So many consoles back then.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Mods speaking sense in his last two posts
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • He is if you're like him. I'm not. He says nothing in Retro Gamer was time sensitive. The entire contents of Edge aren't time sensitive for me.

This isn't to say that Mod's not making a fair point. I'm sure a lot of people are like him, but equally I'd say there are a fair few like me.
  • So, is EDGE next?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have the whole run of Arcade under a bed somewhere. Our maybe I threw them out, can't remember. It was ok at the time, perhaps veering a bit close to laddish territory, given the prevalence of Loaded etc around about then.
  • Was Arcade the Neil West one? I used to buy it but didn't really rate it.

At one point in late 1993 I bought pretty much every games magazine on the shelves just to gawp at the same screen grabs of Sonic 3 and read slightly different previews filled with very little information. So off the top of my head, in one month I probably bought: The Official Sega Magazine, Mean Machines Sega, Megatech, Megadrive Advanced Gaming, Mega, Mega Action, CVG, Diehard Gamefan, Gamesmaster, and I dare say a couple more. Obsessive.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!