General VR and AR chinwag
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    You can use two kinnects at the same time for some insane and shit hot tracking.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • You could use 4 and it would be amaze but i'm trying to do some practical thought regarding making a thing that sells

Also i'd assume an end result would use a kinect 2 which probably would use USB3 for the data speed which isnt all that common on PCs yet (to have 4 usb3 slots and maybe another for the OR)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    They want to get this to the point it's heavily subsidised (MS / Sony) and available for free.

I WISH.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • I got to dick around with a Rift Friday last week.  I only played the demos supplied and the first couple of levels of Quake but I was mad impressed... I'm certainly looking to get one, although I would wait around for a higher resolution to the Dev kit I was on.

I got to get jettisoned into space as well :)
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • beano wrote:
    They want to get this to the point it's heavily subsidised (MS / Sony) and available for free. I WISH.

Surprised nobody's posted this yet: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/16/oculus-hoping-free-rift-becomes-non-virtual-reality/
    You can imagine if Microsoft and Sony can go out and subsidise consoles because there’s enough money to be made on software and other areas, then there’s the potential that this, in partnership, could get subsidised. Let’s say there was some game you played in VR that everybody loved and everybody played and we made $100 a month – or even $10 a month – at some point the hardware’s cheap enough and we’re making enough that we could be giving away the headset.
  • It may reach a point where its sold below cost price. It'll never be free.
  • Probably not, but it could be thrown in as a freebie with a console purchase or something.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I'm not sure what he's saying. He wants a game that you need to wear the headset and pay $10 a month to play then they can give the headset away for free?

Erm, OK. When this game that's so awesome I'm willing to $10 a month for and wear the headset to play comes along I'll look forward to my free headset.

Paid for MMOs essentially don't exist outside of WoW, what chance one that requires wearing a headset?
  • Do devs have to pay for Rift licensing or something? Otherwise, I'm not sure where they're making money without selling the hardware.
  • I'd guess it could mean consecutive 3rd party game purchases which they get a cut of. I wouldn't read to much into specifics of what he's saying; the gist is that if they can get income coming in from licensing and stuff then the price of the hardware can be offset against it.

Remember that it's a young business and they won't have settled on revenue models yet.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Technically you could make your own rift. So maybe they are trying to be the next RedOctane?
  • beano wrote:
    They want to get this to the point it's heavily subsidised (MS / Sony) and available for free. I WISH.

The next gen consoles won't cope with this very well, but it'll be such a biggie that the next-next generation of consoles will be out in a couple of years to compete with demand for such an awesome thing. 

I've said it before and I'll damn well say it again. This is the future.
  • Microsoft would be MAD not to get OR supported asap, like i said before, mix an OR with a kinect and the possibilities are mindboggling
  • Oculus Bridge
    Middleware between the Rift and a browser using Three.js and WebGL.
  • Love Carmack.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    The more I read/hear/see about this the more I'm coming round to the idea. And it made me realise that if/when the consoles start supporting it I'll definitely want the one with the full body motion tracking.
  • You'll like this then mod ;-)

If xbone got Oculus support, with the kinect and the ability for indie/bedroom devs to use a retail unit as a devkit.... Yeah, that'd turn a lot of enthusiast heads :-)
  • A set up that requires full body control plus a helmet that requires people can't see the world around them could be a bit problematic imo.

At the moment the only way I can full body tracking being useful is in a fully fledged holo deck.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That looks fucking great Tempy. I'd like the gun to have a Resi 4 laser sight thing coming out to aid in aiming the bugger though.

I also reckon there'd be a tidy line in gimmicky, tacky, shan as fuck plastic props to go with it. Even have clicky moving parts to piss about with, such as bang the bottom of a pop out clip to reload, pump action shot guns, bolt action sniper rifles etc. I'd throw my money at all of them.

The biggest problem is still movement, I'd probably settle for a stick, but the 360° conveyor belt thing he mentioned would be the ideal method. Ain't no need for a holodeck if you never move from the same spot Monkey.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Wait, that's not Tempy, it has a penis where the mangina usually is!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Phil "is Home out of beta yet?" Harrison on Oculus

Have you tried Oculus Rift?

Yes I have.

Is that a technology you would like to see on your platform?

Yeah there's high-speed USBs on the back of the console that allow for high-speed data transfer, and our platform is designed to be open and extendable. But we have no particular plans at the moment.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/425845/interviews/interview-phil-harrison-on-xbox-ones-core-games-charge/
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    And the same question to Yoshida

One innovation that a lot of people are talking about is Oculus Rift - I know you have tried it yourself.

Yes and I really like it.

I do wonder if that is a technology Sony is looking to pursue itself.

Y'know, we're Sony, so we have lots of different things and different ideas in R&D. When it come to researching things, we are doing a lot of things that we can't talk about.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/425976/interviews/interview-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4s-indie-explosion/
  • I reckon Sony would be more likely to release their own than use the Rift; they've obviously done the same in the R&D lab (probably ages ago), already fabricate or have supply of the components needed and wouldn't need to pay royalties.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    lfnmGgn.jpg
  • Probably not far from the truth.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'd have thought webcam on a headset and move hobbies for each hand.

But yeah, stylish.
  • That could work, too; doubt it'd need to be a particularly high-res camera.

Edit: oh, wait do you mean to pick up the move controllers? That doesn't seem likely to me, they'd need to be looked at too much.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!