Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Single player but with a one on one versus mode.
  • Ah cool, cheers!
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I can't watch that due to the American talking all over it.

Just noticed this. You really should watch it, shows the ant farm and features and research. 

So, there's 80 maps/missions. You'll only see 30 in one playthrough, so even if you play numerous times you'll still stumble across new ones. Coupled with random enemy groups and patrols on the maps, there's  scope for a lot of my time being lost to this.
  • The maps aren't randomly generated then?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It seems you've only got one ship to get to crash sites so you've got to pick and choose who to help, getting rewards for helping countries but increasing panic in the countries you neglect.

Video shows you can build multiple ships, and customise each one.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    The maps aren't randomly generated then?

No, hand built but they made loads to make up for it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I doubt it would have been too hard to randomly generate maps, I bet the main reason they're not doing that is to peddle some DLC later on. 30 missions doesn't sound like a lot for one playthrough. I was hoping for an endless mode where the invasions don't stop.

On the one ship thing Frantic, I meant that you've only got one ship capable of carrying your squad at any one time, so you can't do more than one mission at once.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    The maps aren't randomly generated then?

No, hand built but they made loads to make up for it.

80 is not loads, I probably went on 150 missions in a typical playthrough.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Surely you'd need four arms to do two missions at once?

30 missions is a lot once you factor in all the time you spend micromanaging your base. Also, they want people to do multiple playthroughs as you'll never get it perfect the first few times. 

Things like the foundry cost a lot of money and therefore require savvy management. Apparently some of the game designers still haven't built one in a playthrough.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh, but fuck doing 150 missions these days. I've a kid now, 30 sounds perfect :)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Surely you'd need four arms to do two missions at once?
    I meant send two squads on two seperate missions at the same time, you control them both as it's a game and it's turn based and you as the player are omnipotent. Silly shite.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Lollers. 

Tbh, I'd rather have a handful of crafted maps than random ones. Means they've been designed with cover, flanking and movement in mind.
  • I micromanaged my squads during every one of those missions, as well as managed up to 10 bases, stocks, supplies, manufacturing and research between ufo crashes in the original.

This new game appears to have less depth and content than the original, which came out 18 years ago and fit on 3 floppy discs.

I'm all for a remake, the original is my favourite game of all time, but I don't see the need to make the game this dumb. People aren't stupid, I wish game devs would stop treating them as such.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm with Roujin. With regard to maps, more is more.
  • The beauty of the randomly generated missions meant that you could occasionally wind up sending a full squad on a clean-up that was just a tiny saucer with one remaining alien still standing. Over in five minutes. 

Then there were the ones where you sent a less than full-strength squad to deal with a coastal invasion with new enemy types. If you didn't get wiped out then there was the inevitable pants-wetting moments towards the end where you're low on ammo and survivors and you just KNOW that the last fucker is in that one building they can see you from.

So you try and set it on fire. As I mentioned, grenades and incendiary ammo were my go-to weapons...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Certainly. I still stand by the fact that random maps cant be as precisely honed, especially now the new cover system has been introduced and has replaced kneeling. 

I will remain optimistic.
  • Of course they can't be precisely honed, but that's the thing. It's the same thing that makes randomly generated maps at times frustrating and other times fun. 

I'm neither pro- or anti–. Just riffing, I guess. I liked that the levels were unpredictable. You just had to deal with whatever you were dropped into. It sucked massively when half the team were wiped out before seeing any aliens because of a seemingly unfair map. 

Good game design/map design will make the point moot. So long as it's fun and allows freedom for creativity when playing then that's all that really matters. 80 maps sounds like plenty when they probably won't have too many of the tiny ones that I mentioned earlier.

And as you said – with kids these days, we don't have time for 150 missions!
  • We may have less time as adults, but that's no reason to settle for less game. We just have to accept that we will take longer to finish a game.

What have kids got to play these days to really get their teeth into if we keep demanding shorter games because of the time constraints of our adult lives.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How can there be only 30 missions? I thought the game would end one of two ways, either you get to a point where Earth is invasion-proof or the fuckers wipe you out. 30 missions sounds like a story led campaign to me.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It saddens me that shite like Tokyo Jungle has more posts in its thread than this does.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I just read somewhere that was the average, not exactly 30. I dunno.

Ive known there's a campaign of sorts since the get go, and that it's about multiple tries because its hard to get right.
  • Psht, this sounds more like Fallout Tactics than X-Com right about now. 

Incidentally the original is £2.99 on Steam.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't know how they're going to fit a story in there, the missions and UFO attacks are random aren't they? You get a choice of missions too, unless when a campaign mission pops up it's the only option. I unno, I'm speculating.
  • There are Campaign and UFO missions, I'm betting the campaign missions come about in a set order, or you get 2 or 3 to pick from at a time and the UFO missions happen at random intervals and are selected randomly from the available maps.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    If its a refined, condensed version of the original ill be more than happy. The logistics in the original became a chore anyway, you'd just milk alien supply lines and end up swamped in more materials than you ever needed anyway. The only material you cared about was Elerium, and that is in the new game.
  • I'm down for refined and condensed versions of games, just not at full price thanks.
  • That map count sounds a massive, massive downer to me, as does the way missions are presented to you. 

Assuming there's still all the variation in level themes- which in the original were city, suburban, rural, desert, mountainous, snowy, jungle and bases- that's what, 10 levels for each template? Would certainly get repetitive for the amount i'd have planned playing the game.

As was mentioned before, one of the best things about the original was having no idea with regards the layout of the level. I don't want to take 3 paces outside my craft and think 'oh, this one again'.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Confirmed details  that have been compiled from interviews and gameplay demos so far
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]GENERAL[/font][ul][li]Released on [38]
    - XBOX360
    - PS3
    - PC
    - Steam
    [/li][li]Release Date [33]
    - October 9th North America
    - October 12th International[/li][li]Collectors Edition [33]
    - PC only
    - "several goodies like an art book, fold-out poster of the XCOM headquarters, XCOM insignia patch, and even some digital stuff like the soundtrack, special art, and more." - 2K Greg[/li][li]Pre-order bonus [39]
    - Classic X-COM Soldier: The blonde, flattop.
    - Soldier Deco packs: Aesthetic upgrades to armour including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
    - Including helmet toggle. [40]
    - Complete color customization: customize your squad's look.[/li][li]Difficulty settings [E, 42]
    - Easy
    - Normal
    - "Classic"
    - Impossible (how long will you last -mode) [37][/li][li]Ironman mode [E]
    - Toggle at campaign start.
    - Auto-save only, one savegame.[/li][li]Interface
    - PC version will have an "enhanced" UI compared to the console. [12]
    - XBOX/PS3, free movement in tactical. [E]
    - PC version, grid overlay in tactical. [E]
    - "Glam-Cam" on/off setting. [31]
    - Soldier voice on/off setting. [31]
    - Possible HP-bar and damage hide/view in-game setting. [31][/li][li]Achievements[/li][/ul][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][/font]STRATEGICAL
    [ul][li]Funding Council 
    - 16 Countries, game over if 8 or more countries lost. [H]
    - Funding and resource bonuses varies [12, 16, 36]
    - North America, "Air and Space" - All aircraft and aircraft weapons cost 50% less to purchase, build and maintain.
    - Europe, "Expert Knowledge" - Labs and workshops cost 50% less to build and maintain.
    - Asia, "Future Combat" - All projects in the foundry and the Officer Training school cost 50% less.
    - South America "We Have Ways" - Autopsies and Interrogations are completed instantly.
    - Africa, "All In" - Monthly XCOM funding increased by 25%.
    [/li][li]Trade & Missions continually [9][/li][li]Satellite Cover for UFO detection
    - Bonus for complete satellite coverage of continents. [16]
    - Satellites can be lost. [35][/li][li]One base only [27]
    - Hangar bases for Interceptors on multiple continents 
    - North America, South America, Asia, Africa, Europe confirmed [C]
    - Up to 4 Interceptors per interceptor-base. [C][/li][/ul][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][/font]Missions[ul][li]Randomly generated mission names. [20][/li][li]Mission types
    - 2-10 types of missions [L]
    - Abductions
    - Terror missions
    - Hostage Extraction [27]
    - VIP rescue, (player controlled VIP) [27, L]
    - UFO Crash site [32]
    - Capture alive alien [34][/li][li]Enviroments [J]
    - Urban
    - Outdoors
    - Alien environments[/li][li]Story or "Set type" missions. [14][/li][li]Large number of hand-crafted maps. [20]
    - Unit placement procedurally generated.[/li][li]Mission Accomplished Screen [D at 15:25]
    - Aliens Killed (6, Excellent!)
    - X-Com Operatives Lost (1, Good)[/li][li]Mission Debrief Screen
    - New Research Available (Xeno-Biology, Weapon Fragments, Alien Materials)
    - Artefacts Recovered (2x Sectoid Corpse, 2x Muton Corpse, 14x Weapon Fragments)[/li][li]NPCs confirmed
    - Targets for aliens.[/li][li]Multiple attacks at once, player have to choose.
    - ""There is not just one group of aliens invading, they are hitting 2 cities at once, or three, or four. You have to make a decision, am I going to Hong Kong or ....." 
    - "..where ever they don't respond to, they have the risk of loosing that country or increasign the panic-meter....." -Casey O'Toole on PAX. [E at 4:16:00].[/li][/ul][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][/font]
    [ul][li]Interceptor [D at 17:28]
    - One weapon mount (Cannon may be standard side-arm)[/li][li]Firestorm [41][/li][li]Weapons [M]
    -Stats
    - Hit% chance
    - Range
    - Fire rate
    - Damage
    - Armour Penetration
    - Avalanche Missile
    - Laser Cannon
    - Plasma Cannon
    - EMP Cannon (less destructive, more loot) [41]
    - "Consumable" items (defence, imp. hit%) [41][/li][li]Abilities/Stances [41]
    - Abort
    - Track 
    - Aim
    - Dodge[/li][/ul][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Crafts[/font]
    [ul][li]Item capture and resource requirement for research. [A, 31][/li][li]Each and every research grants some gameplay bonus, not some only narrative. [31][/li][li]Projects 
    - Xeno-Biology
    Slow (12 days)
    Project Cost: 3 Sectoid Corpse
    - Weapon Fragments
    Normal (6 days)
    Project Cost: 5 Weapon fragments
    - Alien Materials
    Normal (6 days)
    Project Cost: 5 Weapon fragments
    - Alien Materials [41]
    Hints at body armour improvement.
    - Experimental Warfare [41]
    - Sectoid Autopsy [41]
    - Thin Man Autopsy [41][/li][/ul][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Research[/font]
    [ul][li]Static facilities [17]
    - Hangar
    - Mission Control
    - Situation Room - funding council.
    - Armory
    - Barrack
    - Science Labs (?)
    - Engineering (?)
    - Infirmary (?)[/li][li]Expandable facilities 
    - Alien Containment
    - Officer Training School - global perk unlocks for squad
    - Laboratories - boosts Science Lab
    - Workshop - boost Engineering, "Random resource rebate on whatever you built". -GI
    - The Foundry - large manufacturing projects
    - Power Generator [A]
    - Thermal Power Generator - more power, require steam vent
    - Satellite Nexus [A]
    - Satellite Uplink - "monitor the airspace over different countries around the world." [A][/li][li]24 facility expansion slots [27][/li][li]Bonus depending on adjacent facilities [D][/li][li]Base resource: Power [A][/li][/ul][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Base facilities[/font]
    [ul][li]Fog of War [3,9][/li][li]Panic [9,12][/li][li]Cover, looks like three types [screenshots]
    - Ability: "Hunker down", double defence, penalty to vision and cost one turn. [16][/li][li]Line of Sight [3,9][/li][li]Day and Night [9]
    - "No gameplay effect for lighting..."
    - "... better visibility at night, but more shadows at day." - Jake Solomon [35][/li][li]TUs replaced with Move-Action mechanics instead. [9,12,13]
    - Displayed by two small "play" arrows in UI. 
    - Two movements possible, UI displays range of Move-Action on ground. [D][/li][li]Inventory grid page removed, replaced with an Ability Bar. [3, 14]
    - Still some type of inventory "slots" pre-mission.[/li][li]Critical Wounds, possible to revive but suffers permanent penalty to Will stat (panic). [14,15][/li][li]Destructible environments [10,12]
    - Walls and Cover destruct able, Roofs or Ground are not.[/li][li]Overwatch [21][/li][li]Weapons explode into weapon fragments
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    On phone, I'll sort it later.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hey Frantic! It's later!

Playing OldCOM and shot a sectoid through a window. Marvelling at my tactical nous, I then moved a guy only for him to be sniped in one shot from an upstairs window. I'm now on the lookout for some pro tips.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!