#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I did a double-take on the name Brian Sibley, so did a quick Google and he was one of the writers of the BBC radio play of The Lord of the Rings. It’s, for my money, the most faithful adaptation of the book

I’ll buy the new book, because I can’t not.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    On the one hand I'm not sure about them doing full-on mainline Tolkien books that are basically TV tie-ins. On the other hand, I liked the Second Age stuff from Unfinished Tales and I think it is worth putting it in the more accessible Great Tales format so casual fans aren't having to drag themselves through Unfinished Tales (increasingly redundant apart from essay-type material) and The History of Middle-Earth.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Recently picked up 2 nice Hunter S. Thompson hardbacks. Hadn't read the Hell's Angels book. A good read - in the 2022 reading list thread.

erWRSJd.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fear and Loathing has a couple of extra articles in the back I'll read. Will re-read Fear and Loathing at one point. One of the few books that made me belly laugh (the scene in the Circus Circus rotating bar).

Also picking through 2 compilation books:

Finders Keeper - by Seamus Heaney. A selection of essays, lectures and prose.
    Low Life - by Jeffrey Bernard. A collection of Bernard's "Low Life" column in the Spectator. Now in one volume.
  • Folio Society sample sale 5 minutes away from me but I'm working!  According to some of the Facebook group there have been some absolute bargains and amazing finds.  Gutted I (probably) missed out.  Will probably be nothing special left when I get there after work.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, I think you’ve blown it, elf. Just had an email to say the next two days of the sale are cancelled as they’ve pretty much sold everything today.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah I was about to leave work at around 4:30 when I saw the tweet saying they’re stopping the queue. Then not long after they cancelled the whole weekend. Ho hum.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - I could only drool from Belfast. But to be around the corner....painful.
  • Started The Descent by Jeff Long, on the recommendation of Raz. So far, and I'm only 3 chapters in, this is one of the creepiest books I've read in a long time. It's getting so that I can't put it down already. Great stuff, I'll definitely be seeking out more of his work.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I’m a big fan of Jeff Noon, especially his earlier books - Vurt, Pollen and Nymphomation were beautifully dense pieces of hallucinogenic sci-fi, and Needle in the Groove remains my all-time favourite novel. His more recent work doesn’t push my buttons in the same way - he’s toned down the formal experimentation and settled into a sort of slanted, deliberately weird take on genres like noir and detective thrillers. Still good, but less my thing.

Interzone just published a short story Noon has written that revisits his older sci-fi style. Fucked up text that jitters and breaks down, then speeds up and intensifies to convey the rush of senses on a high. Love it. It’s a quick read - perfect for a lunch break or something.

https://interzone.digital/no-rez

I was gonna copy/paste a paragraph or two as a teaser, but the formatting is part of the point. You need to read it as it’s been typeset.
  • I'm sure there are others here who read the Dragonlance books when they were young. For many people my age (21 plus a little bit), they were one of the entry points into fantasy. Raistlin et al.

Anyway, there's a new one. And I'm reading it. And I'm not far in but I have some real thoughts about this book so far.

So yeah. Just pointing out that there is a new Dragonlance book.
  • Ooh, going to check that out. Loved them in my youth.

For fantasy fans, I can give a glowing report for Tad Williams' Last King of Osten Ard series (the audiobook narrator is excellent). Just finished the 3rd. Can't wait for the final book in the spring.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've got 3 books on the go at present. 2 non fiction and 1 fiction which explains my absence in this thread.

Half way through Anna Karenina.   It lives up to the reputation.  Also reading a book about blockchain and another about the theory of human destiny. Neither are easy going but are keeping me engaged.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Anna Karenina is an excellent read. Oblonsky is a funny cunt*, and as opening lines in literature go, it's probably the most poignant work of art I can think of.

It almost perfectly encapsulates the human condition.

*Tolstoy was said to be a lot like the character, stunting' on hoes
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some of the passages are exquisite - the description of the scything of hay for example. I can only imagine how beautiful it must be to a native Russian reader.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just finished The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty and it’s hands down the best thing I have read so far this year. Both intelligent and philosophical, it’s a book that satisfies the mind as well as the baser desire for just a good horror read. Gorgeous writing, too. The book is utterly perfect. It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but I’m gonna assume right now that Blatty wrote the screenplay for the film. It’s so incredibly faithful, and not intent on sweeping changes, but rather just trimming things down. *Chef’s kiss* all round, really. There’s no way I’m not watching the film tonight.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I read that when I was in my late teens. Read it and the Godfather back to back. Good times.

There's a great making of the Exorcist with Blatty and Friedkin discussing the film and the book. It comes with most of the disc releases of the film but it's bound to be accessible other ways. I think it's called The Fear of God
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good old YT: I think this is it...

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve not yet watched all of the above doc, but it’s interesting that it mentions the battle between writer and director, because it’s one of the most faithful adaptations I’ve ever come across.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I’ve not yet watched all watched all of the above doc, but it’s interesting that it mentions the battle between writer and director, because it’s one of the most faithful adaptations I’ve ever come across.

It is a battle but in this they remain friends. Batty produced the film - Freidkin didn't like his screenplay.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Right, so just finished the film. It’s the perfect adaptation of the perfect book. Brilliant performances all round, but special mention must be given to Ellen Burstyn, who plays the distraught mother to absolute perfection. Favourite parts of the book were the conversations between Karras and the demon, and Detective Kinderman, who in the book is very Colombo-ish.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just finished The Ritual by Adam Nevill. Not a bad book at all, but in my humble opinion this is one of those relatively rare instances when the film adaptation improves upon the source material. Bruckner’s film streamlines and makes crucial changes to the narrative that just make for a more compelling story.

That’s two in a row now. Before The Ritual I read Legion, Blatty’s sequel to The Exorcist. That’s a good read too, but Blatty’s own film adaptation just works better in my opinion.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Off topic : but Exorcist III with George C Scott and Brad Dourif is worth a watch.  Don't google it - there's a splendid scene that will likely be spoiled.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That’s the film I’m talking about. Blatty adapted it from his own book.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Also, I was in the cinema for that scene. The greatest jump scare in cinema history.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That would have been something.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a 27 book Humble Bundle about Tolkien and works that inspired him.

People like @Raizel might want to check it out.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Thanks, Davy, but I’ve pretty much got everything.
    Get schwifty.
  • Expensive, but a birthday gift to myself (I like to think):

https://www.foliosociety.com/uk/frankenstein-limited-edition.html

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!