The Car thread
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Any idea of budget?

Hmm not really as it's dependant on some other factors. Would end up being a monthly type deal I think. Probably £3-400 per month

That price range is fine on an EV lease, tbh - probably…

In that price range I would recommend you start looking at the Hyundai Ioniq, BMW i3, Honda E and Ora Cat. Those should go for 250-350 a month and give you a good idea what’s out there. Then you can branch out from there. If it launches in the UK I’d absolutely recommend an Xpeng but I think they’re only in Norway right now.

Edit:

The Fiat and the Ora are the most “future-y” there but maybe a little small for families. So have a look.
  • I love the Honda E. My wife thinks it’s a hate crime. Edit - originally wrote Fiat, my mistake.
  • Seems the Honda is about 400-450 per month, which is a little much for what it offers, but it’s so pretty…

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/honda-e/offers/eFinance.html
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Matty, once you go outside your car’s range it can get a bit of a lottery on fast charging stations, so would not discount Tesla in your short list.

The car nav from Surrey to Scotland tells you what the current speed, availability and cost of the superchargers are, greatly reducing range anxiety.

NLtbq8r.jpg

8f4RCKe.jpg
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Took back my car until they get the parts. Can't book me back in til Wednesday. When I'm meant to be working. Joy.

I know, I know, I know, I can learn it all and do it myself but with no tools and on-street parking at mines, I just really can't be bothered going to the lengths. It's just the general tardiness and god awful communication folk at the garage have. Big burly mechanic giving me the "aye pal it's this this n this" chat about my car, then when I ask "here m8 any idea of a rough ballpark figure?" he scuttles off in a hurry. Oh, you'll need to speak to Gemma. That's her thing. Oh righty. I'll just go fuck myself then.
  • Matty, once you go outside your car’s range it can get a bit of a lottery on fast charging stations, so would not discount Tesla in your short list.

Yeah, that was my next question. A lot depends on whether he as access to charging facilities near home or at work. The Ora has fast charge and will do 50% battery in 30 minutes, but so much depends on infrastructure. Tesla deffo the best set up for charging in a lot of places.
  • I really like the Honda e bit there's no way I'd pay the price of it.

I like that it has a 240v socket and HDMI so you can have whatever entertainment system you want.
  • The Honda e is really cute, I see some on the roads around here. But it’s range is comparatively low, I think?
  • I love them but yeah thats an awful lot of money for the practicality.
  • poprock wrote:
    The Honda e is really cute, I see some on the roads around here. But it’s range is comparatively low, I think?

Yeah, but it’s pitched as an urban EV. If you’re usually running sub-200 miles, there should be no issue. Not value for money though.
  • We looked at EV for our car, back in 2020. The reality in the UK is that unless you only want to pootle around the town / country, AND have an off-street home charger, Tesla remains the only option. If you only use the car for 100+ mile journeys every so often (read: less than 4 times a year) then sure plan around the 1 hour stop somewhere if you're lucky enough to find a fast charger which a) works and b) isn't busy when you need it and get non-Tesla.

But for anything approaching regular 100+mile journeys I'd advise begin and end with model 3 or Y.

The reason we didn't go for Model 3 is the boot being saloon, which is the fuck for practical family cars; and the Y wasn't yet available or reviewed.

Our next car in half a decade or so will be an EV by which time I hope the wider charging network will be much better (or Tesla do finally open up their SC network)
  • I've got chargers both next to work and about 5 mins away at the local station, but would look at getting it installed at home as well. I've got two outside power sockets already, so assume I can branch off the cabling somehow
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Funk knows.

Though will say the Model 3 does have a large boot and a handy froot.
  • handy froot

Takes one to know one.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Googling ‘fruit fucking’ for a suitable image is quite something.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    If learning spark plugs I would have someone teach you IRL rather than a youtube video. They are easy but you really dont want to over tighten them and that is a bit of a feeling thing.
    Totally. In fact, counter to what ’Scape said I think spark plugs are one thing where a torque wrench is essential.

I torque mine, but all the mechanics I know laugh at me for it. Snug+turn should be in their instructions, so it's the amount of turn rather than feel.

That said, ‘snug’ can be slightly unclear at first (fingertight varies between us), and a torque wrench removes all doubt. Modern plugs don't need anti-seize, so that helps.
  • ... And just like that, no more warning light. Hmm.

Still booked in for Wednesday, but still a small relief I'm okay to drive til then. I think. I hope.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I know, I know, I know, I can learn it all and do it myself but with no tools and on-street parking at mines, I just really can't be bothered going to the lengths.

I'm the same with cars, TBH, but I've still a local mechanic at £15ph with his own pit. Mainly 'cause of street parking, like you say, plus the danger of starting something I can't finish, leaving me carless.

If it rains while I'm working on my bike I can just wheel it back into my lockup, and since I only ride for fun I can leave it in bits if I need to learn more or wait for parts. Which can take a week to arrive because it's quite rare.

Another thing with older vehicles is how jobs often take longer, when rounded-off bolts and seized parts are way more common. I almost had to drill out a bolt for a paddock-stand bobbin, and those aren't even tightened that much. Managed to grab it with a screw extractor in the end, but only just.

Everyone'll tell you that changing throttle cables is simple, but when I installed a Domino quick throttle I found mine was stuck pretty hard at the carb end, and without removing the carb bank you can only get your fingertips to it. Got there in the end, again, but with a lot of swearing and time. I did find out that WD-40's famous contact cleaner's great for getting throttle grips on and off.

And then finally, I've lost count of the times I've had the bike in bits and found something that needs replacing during another job. Just leave it like that, order the parts, and come back.

So no, unless you're certain you can finish any job you start (my mechanic can get most parts the same or next day), and it might rain, or you might get run over, it probably is best to garage it. When LIDL have their Parkside 216-piece socket set for £70, though, that is worth getting. Really decent for the money.
  • I'm getting ever closer to "asking for socket set and being really genuinely taken aback and thankful" age. I'll get there.
  • £200 for the "engine coil set" and spark plugs. Hmph.

Anyone want a kidney?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Time to eat a big slice of humble pie. I’ve started looking into EV as my next car next year. Need to start looking as lead times on leases are ridiculous. And have to say I’m considering more and more a Tesla!

God help me. I know it looks like someone hasn’t finished designing it but the more I look into the spec vs price vs the competition and the more it looks like a good deal. The only negatives (apart from looks) are the lack of physical controls but I’ve read that the voice control is very very good, and the poor fit and finish with panels (again I’ve heard it’s improved but the Y seems to be a much better built car).

I’m still looking at the Ionic 5 but when you start to spec it up like for like the price difference isn’t that much on a lease.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Tesla fan here.

Not going into much detail but the Model 3 saved my arse tonight.

With no provocation whatsoever a had a real ‘Duel’ event where a speeding transit van drove into my rear twice. Immediately pulled into a side road, I jumped out but on inspection - not a scratch. The car automatically had jolted forward to stop any collision. That’s some damn impressive safety performance.

Nowt wrong with the panel fit either.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You had someone try to ram you?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yep. The adrenaline is still a bit present. Didn’t get their number but hope I was the last they got at. Hell of a thing.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Bloody hell, hope you're okay. Don't the cameras on the Tesla capture things like that? Might be worth ring customer services and seeing if there is anything they can grab.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Only turned off the auto record this week in favour of horn activation. Kicking myself a bit. Still, the car saved us some money and a possible trip to A&E.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I wouldn't be surprised if they don't still capture collisions and the like though. Glad you're okay though. I'm not sure how I would have reacted in that situation.
  • Every time I see a Tesla on the motorway they're always chilling, would love to see one just boot it. Suppose that's the whole point of their wonderful computery stuff.

Glad you're ok, Hair.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Cheers bud.

It’s no small thing knowing you can show a clean pair of heels to most things if needs.

I'm not sure how I would have reacted in that situation.

Nerves forged by years of FNF.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!