Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    E-fuels. It’s a horrible word/phrase, but a sound concept. Ethanol-based petrol replacement that’s made from sustainable short-term crops. No fossil fuels involved - just grow the crop, harvest, make fuel out of it, grow more next season. Short carbon cycles that don’t add to the net carbon count of the planet. They’d run in your petrol car right now with no modifications (although they’re bad for long-term storage because they can erode old rubber seals a bit) but the downside is cost. Manufacturing so far is low volume so it’s about double the price of petrol.

Emissions are a separate issue though. On that score, E-fuels are no better than conventional.

Water and arable land use is an issue though.
  • poprock wrote:
    E-fuels. It’s a horrible word/phrase, but a sound concept. Ethanol-based petrol replacement that’s made from sustainable short-term crops. No fossil fuels involved - just grow the crop, harvest, make fuel out of it, grow more next season. Short carbon cycles that don’t add to the net carbon count of the planet. They’d run in your petrol car right now with no modifications (although they’re bad for long-term storage because they can erode old rubber seals a bit) but the downside is cost. Manufacturing so far is low volume so it’s about double the price of petrol.

Emissions are a separate issue though. On that score, E-fuels are no better than conventional.

Water and arable land use is an issue though.

Yeah, was just about to post something on this. I’m pretty certain it’s almost impossible to sort out without all us wealthy nations hoovering up all the grain and land required to grow it and leaving those poorer less important lot starving and fighting over scraps.
  • [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Someone drove past me in a 60s (I think) e-type Jag yesterday. Stunning car. I'd probably be terrified taking it out and about.
  • I want a '65 Mustang, even a 3.3 auto despite them being slow af. I think they are the best looking car ever made.
  • Never been in the thread before, but I've just put a deposit on a nice wee hybrid. Japanese import Honda Fit. My friend ripping the piss out of me for getting an automatic. (Honestly don't get that?)

Yes I'm middle aged but fuck the efficiency is supposed to be goooooood.
  • Manual gearboxes are for people who actively enjoy driving, or people who like to think they actively enjoy driving.

They add nothing to standard family cars; you're not going to suddenly get your super license because your Focus is a manual.

As someone who sees driving as a necessary evil, I want the most comfortable, safe, and easy ride possible. Automatic all the way, with the ACC on please.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Manual cars are bollocks now for every day driving. I’d never go back.
  • Never drove auto before today. First five minutes were a bit wtf, especially as the dash was still half Japanese. But then I was driving around wondering what the fucking point of the manual was!

I do like a bit of a drive, but I'm planning on a midlife crisis car LATER in life. This one seems like a good purchase for where I'm at.
  • But yeah, I was wondering what others thought. It strikes me as a weird elitism that is out of place for 99% of drivers.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Unpowered steering is the thing I really miss.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've owned auto and manual. I do prefer manual, driving on a lot of hilly country b roads and it is better for that, but I'd not turn my nose up at an auto. Still plenty of fun to drive, and like funk says, far more convenient for the daily urban commute.

Just remember, no clutch pedal in the auto. There's been a few occasions where I've nearly puty own head through the window stamping on what I expected to be the clutch after extended periods of time driving a manual and switching back to auto.
  • Aye, confusion between the brake pedal and what 20-odd years of muscle memory thinks is going to be the clutch … that’s what makes autos tricky for me. I’m sure enough practice would knock that out of my system, but I’ve never given it the time.
  • I can’t believe there’s actual Partridges out there lolling at automatics. Jeez.
  • poprock wrote:
    Aye, confusion between the brake pedal and what 20-odd years of muscle memory thinks is going to be the clutch … that’s what makes autos tricky for me. I’m sure enough practice would knock that out of my system, but I’ve never given it the time.

This is the biggest adjustment. I don't drive an automatic at the moment but you really need to focus on keeping your foot still at first.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Automatic FTW
  • I'd happily drive auto for the school run but no way I'd want the S2000 to be auto. Different cars for different drives.

The FTO I used to have had a neat system. You could override the auto box by tapping the stick to the right. Stopped it changing from second to fourth while going round a roundabout.
  • poprock wrote:
    Aye, confusion between the brake pedal and what 20-odd years of muscle memory thinks is going to be the clutch … that’s what makes autos tricky for me. I’m sure enough practice would knock that out of my system, but I’ve never given it the time.

This is the biggest adjustment. I don't drive an automatic at the moment but you really need to focus on keeping your foot still at first.

It's easy enough. In an auto your left foot does nothing. NOTHING. Ah fuck, I did it again.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Best thing to do if you’re new to autos is bring your knee up and plant your foot flat on the floor. Less temptation to use it then.
  • I've owned auto and manual. I do prefer manual, driving on a lot of hilly country b roads...

I drive a manual and live in a steep sided valley. It's typical for me to have to shift quite a bit, particularly dropping to 1st for hill climbs. Also, having to think about traction in off road sections. I'd like to see how an auto gets on.
  • Well it seems, after looking at a few vehicles, we'll end up with a Ford S-Max. SUVs like the Skoda Kodiaq can't fit two car seats (for a 2.5 and 1 year old) plus an 11 year old in the back. So we need a car with three full size seats in the back and they are limited.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Team Manual & Petrol here
  • 99% of the time I’m driving round London roads. Manual makes absolutely no sense. Auto FTW!

When I was driving round the Cotswolds a couple of years ago, and round Lake District a couple of years before that, I did wish I had a manual. But those times are very few and apart.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Team Manual & Petrol here

geYlZme.jpg
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Whenever I think of autos I picture big fuck off crossovers in white paint saddled by some overweight raging fuck like it's that scene in Wall-E with the humans in their cradles zooming about.

Sorry. A honking take, I know.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's black I'll have you know.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Whenever I think of autos I picture big fuck off crossovers in white paint saddled by some overweight raging fuck like it's that scene in Wall-E with the humans in their cradles zooming about.

Sorry. A honking take, I know.

AUDI-80-00.webp

This was my auto, lovely little car which I miss every now and then. Don't miss the fuel bills though. That thing could sup.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Is it easy to get small dents out?  It was most likely a laptop dinging off the door jamb but I need to sell this shitheap in Feb so I can buy a faster one.

I suppose I should also ask is it usually expensive?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • If it's on a flat bit of panel it should be easier/cheaper than if it's on a crease or fold in the panel.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!