The Car thread
  • Nice. I’ll be interested to see how it is, my work are starting a salary sacrifice thing from next month, don’t know what the deal is yet, but if it’s similar to yours I’ll be jumping in.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Sent a few chaser emails and finally got my reply. It's been two weeks since I've ordered my car through the salary sacrifice scheme and not heard a jot.
    Today I've been told "your order is now processed and with the dealership. They will be in contact very shortly to discuss delivery. Estimated delivery within 2 weeks"

EXCITE!!.

Downside is they quoted me 8 weeks until installation of my home charger point.

Worked out we do at most 20 miles a day. Car has an estimated 200+miles of range. Means once a week I take the kids to the service station just 5 mins up the road for a McDonald's dinner and charge it there

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Remember company cars. Does that happen anymore anywhere?
  • Yeah but mainly for people who need to use them specifically for the job. So more of a fleet car.

They made it so the value of the car as a perk was taxable as income. Same goes for rail passes.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Nice. I’ll be interested to see how it is, my work are starting a salary sacrifice thing from next month, don’t know what the deal is yet, but if it’s similar to yours I’ll be jumping in.

It seems like a great deal. The monthly amount covers insurance, road tax, all maintenance, breakdown cover and all services and MOTs and is taken from you salary pre tax, so you save on your tax bill each month.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Cazoo has appointed administrators.. cinch will be next.
    The Forum Herald™
  • @Wookienopants there's no issue without a home charger.  You'll probably get a 3-pin plug 'emergency' charger, which will manage 1-2KW.  A home charger is almost always 7KW.  Out and about, you'll have 'untethered' chargers which are ones where you use your own cable (provided, and don't lose it, they're expensive).  These are AC, so are 11KW or 22KW, but only charge at the capacity of your car's inverter.  My Hyundai was 11KW, my Nissan is 22KW.  

The DC chargers are the 'fast' ones you see at McDonalds etc.  They have a CCS (combined charging system) plug instead of a normal type 2 one, so they'll use the additional 2 plugs on the bottom of your charging port.  They're DC, so will run as fast as your car's internal infrastructure.  Some are 400V, some 800V, so you generally get at least 150KW as a maximum.  Some are limited to 50KW.  My Hyundai could handle 350KW, but because of battery temperature, time of day, etc, I don't think I ever saw more than 185KW from it.  My Nissan's capped at around 150KW because it's a lower voltage system.

Hyundai had a 77KWh battery, so 77 kilowatt hours; if you charge it at 1KW, it takes 77 hours to charge.  Charge it at 154KW, it takes 30 minutes to charge.  That's in theory, because charging tails off as you get towards 100%, but the maths works for the critical 20-80% range.  In general, minimise the number of times you run your battery below about 10%, and minimise the number of times you charge above about 85%.  In 2-3 years of ownership though it doesn't really matter.

It took me ages to learn all this stuff.  Download Zapmap immediately, and look at who provides local chargers; I got a Chargeplace Scotland account before the car arrived, which helped hugely, but also have a BP Pulse subscription to access their cheaper prices because we have a few of those.

We've managed fine with an EV since October 2022 without a home charger.  It's the least important part of the equation; but when you get one, consider Octopus's EV tariffs, that can give you a full 200-ish-mile charge for about £6 overnight.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    A lot of older AC chargers are just 7 kW and usually the power will be halved if two vehicles plug into a charger with two sockets at the same time, which is something to bear in mind since it has a big impact on charging times.
  • Still not comfortable with going full 'leccy. Will probably opt for a sporty PHEV when I buy my next car. Can charge it when I go into the office.
  • The performance is one of the reasons to go full EV. My massive, multi tonne Nissan SUV does 0-60 in just over 5 seconds, and the way you get absolutely instant full torque from electric motors is properly addictive.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Here’s a few others ;)

Big mistake having Volvo XC40 PHEV for a year believing we’d save money - but going anywhere except the commute cost an arm and a leg because the weight of both drive systems. Hybrids still throw out toxic emissions unless you’re pootling about and they still need servicing.

Been together in electric dreams for nearly three years and will never go back to a fossil fuel car.

Those waiting for hydrogen or ecofuels to be a thing, I’ve got a bridge to sell ya.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Those waiting for hydrogen or ecofuels to be a thing, I’ve got a bridge to sell ya.

They’re both still going to be a thing, but for different things. You stick with your leccy car. I’ll embrace synthetic fuels when they’re more affordable as a way of keeping my classics on the road. And let people keep looking at hydrogen for haulage etc.

One day hydrogen could still be a better answer for personal cars too, but not for a long time yet.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Was talking mainstream Pops. Absolutely with you keeping classics on the road.
  • I think it does depend on your usage.

I've loved our Superb, best car I've ever owned by some distance. Our usage is small local journeys to supermarket, kids activities, the odd local jaunt to forest / days out etc; coupled with semi-regular 120 mile journeys to my parents' (about once every two months), and an annual long driving holiday (usually about 1,000-1,500 miles).

A full electric would be difficult for this use case - our drive to and from parents (who do not have a home charger or live near any decent charging infrastructure, where decent = close, available, working and fast) would become longer due to need to charge on motorway. Our drives through eg: France would involve having to stay at places with chargers, limiting our longer daily distances, etc. None of this the end of the world, it's true, but inconvenient nonetheless.We've also moved to bikes a LOT for the local journeys, but some days the rain is bad, it's cold, it's dark and we've got young kids etc.

A hybrid, with 60+ miles of electric range and a home charger which we could get, covers literally 100% of our local journeys. Then the petrol engine takes care of the longer journeys. And it's overall cheaper to buy than an electric vehicle with less comfort and features and most importantly load size than our Superb.

So in short, it's individual cases to consider if full EV works for you I'd say
  • I would love our next car to be full EV. the only even vaguely affordable options for our needs (size mainly) are Model Y, and it's not a great option imo for lots of reasons; and maybe the Polestar 3 (which is really stretching the definition of affordable at £75K up. or rather, it has broken the definition so let's just rule it out). There are a few others - the Kias look OK for eg - but they're still pricier than even a nicer hybrid like the new Superb coming this year.
  • For my daily, I was just selfish. I test drove EVs. Lots of them. But as cars, as a driver experience … they felt cheap. The interiors weren’t up to scratch. The build quality wasn’t either. For the same prices, I could get a hybrid from a much, much stronger brand with a much, much better car.

Basically, an EV at the same price as a petrol or a hybrid isn’t currently like-for-like. For the money, old tech comes with a fancier car attached. And I like fancy cars.
  • I'm quite happy with the build quality of mine; even the last one (which was a Hyundai Ioniq 5) was very nicely put together, and even had EV-specific road-noise-deadening tyres on it.  You can obviously get an EV from Mercedes, BMW, Audi, even Lotus if you want something higher-end.  

Funk, I'd still consider one.  We get an easy 300 mile range out of ours worst case, and do a 100-ish mile trip to my mother-in-law's monthly.  We often stop for a coffee and charge for 20 mins on the way up and down to arrive with more, but rarely bother charging there unless we've gone somewhere local with a rapid charger.  

For a 1500 miles trip through France, yeah, there's a whole other whack of planning for that.  You could always take the phenomenal fuel savings (Octopus Energy again; £5-6 for a full charge as long as it's after midnight!), and hire a car for the holiday?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    And I like fancy cars.

Have driven different high end cars every week for years and as yet still wouldn’t swap anything for our Model 3 long range AWD.

Safe as houses, super direct steering and face melting acceleration, 360 camera security system, THE best infotainment suite, all the extras as standard and software upgrades every other month. A bit hard over some bumps but so are the performance motors from Audi and the like. Makes me smile each trip and genuinely love her (Pepper) - she’s more than fancy enough for this fussy badger ;)

Pays yer money etc.

• I really didn't like the Model Y I test drove, so people considering EVs, make sure you realise there are a lot of good alternatives to Tesla now.  The camera suite was the only thing I liked. The Kia/Hyundais have the same blind spot views, but the sentry mode is a brilliant idea.  

I'm a tech guy, but I hated the infotainment.  No CarPlay, and I don't want to have to go through 2 menus to open the glovebox.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Open glove box voice command works. Also has a numeric key entry for extra security from string back thieves. Don’t miss car play myself but would like the option TBH.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Model 3 ride comfort is supposed to be much improved in the latest model. When I EV I’ll still be considering a Tesla.
  • Have driven different high end cars every week for years and as yet still wouldn’t swap anything for our Model 3 long range AWD.

Good. Glad you’re happy with it.

The only way I could get the level of quality, luxury and materials I wanted in an EV would have been to go super-high end. A Taycan or something. Which I couldn’t afford. Would have been looking at £60/70k for something three years old in good condition. My Lexus hybrid was £35k and arguably even better on quality/luxury/materials (it’s far lower on performance, but speed wasn’t my want/need for this car). I’ve driven some ridiculous cars in my time, and this Lexus has one of the nicest interiors I’ve ever sat in. I don’t know how they do it for the price, quite frankly.

Also, it’s damned handsome.

uuid-B15-D7415-A9-EB-4543-8593-1677158-F29-A9-library-1-type-1-mode-2-loc-true-cap-true.jpg
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    They do do lovely interiors and that’s a handsome car.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    The Model 3 ride comfort is supposed to be much improved in the latest model. When I EV I’ll still be considering a Tesla.

Especially as by law it will be able to pick up/chauffeur/drop you off anywhere soon…

WTpRUab.jpeg

• My hope with driverless cars in the long run is that I no longer have to own one at all.
    Instead being like Uber but can go tot he opposite end of the country if I so wish and the car will just redistribute themselves.
    Or like a rental without insane credit card deposits.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    That’ll be a reality too Liv.

QoRA714.jpeg

gLTugtZ.jpeg

mlAm5vJ.jpeg[img]VNwev8G.jpeg
  • That Lexus is lovely. I think their coolness stock improved massively with the LFA. I'm considering an RC myself, from 2018 onwards as the face-lift elevates them into most gorgeous car ever made territory.
  • I fucking HATE cars
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • There is nothing this year that has caused me more stress, pain and financial loss than car ownership. I hate it. HATE IT
  • When I think about their impact on the environment, and wonder what it would be like if we had a huge and complex railway network, with clean, comfortable and warm carriages, that could get you places quickly, and you wouldn't be stressed and could have more time in your day to read, work or study on the train, then yeah I hate them too.

Also this 
    Screenshot-20240522-164104-Google.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!