PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ill make it
  • Do it. Just don't forget to add the chilli flakes when you add the tomato.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Will do.
  • And throw in the fennel seeds when you add the garlic.
  • Let me know how it turns out. I make it at least once a fortnight.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It'll likely be Sunday when I make it
  • That sounds good SG, I'll be on that too. Ta
  • You might want to tinker with it if you find it too rich. It's pretty hardcore. Women in particular seem to find it better with dried tubular pasta and maybe substituting half the passata with a tin of chopped tomatoes. And I actually prefer it with more than a teaspoon of fennel seeds. Either way, you'll know it's a winner when you try it, but the richness can be a problem for some.
  • Excellent instructions and philosophy in that recipe SG, I'll make.
  • That sounds pretty good.
  • I've been cooking a roast pretty much every Sunday for the last few years trying to learn each part of it really well.  Yorkshires were the most difficult, although every recipe i tried was similar, they all seemed to need tweaking. Here's one that never fails.

Foolproof high rise crispy Yorkshire puddings

(6 individual Yorkshires)

50ml of full fat or semi skimmed milk
    35 grams of plain flour
    3 medium eggs

Blend the milk, flour and eggs BUT only add the WHITE of the last egg.  This mixture really only needs 2 eggs but the 3rd white helps it rise every time.

Add a touch of salt to the mixture.

Leave for as long as possible, at least an hour.

With sunflower oil (can withstand higher temps), grease 6 bits of a cup cake style baking tray, get your finger in there and make sure the walls of each bit are covered in oil.  You want about a small teaspoon in each compartment, any more and you'll get soggy greasy puddings.

Preheat for 5 minutes on at least 220 or gas mark 9.

Take the pan out really carefully and put on hob, it should be smoking a little, if you have a rubbish oven put the hob on for this bit. Pour the mixture in quick but carefully. It should sizzle, the hob helps.

Quickly put it back in the oven for about 13-15 minutes.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Lard, surely. It must be lard.
  • The key to yorkshires I found was the heat to be as high as possible.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Here's something I'd not heard of until recently.

When making garlic butter, stick a pint of milk in a casserole dish and add however much garlic you need. Stick it in a medium oven and poach the garlic for an hour-ish; until you can mash it with a fork. Then just do what you would normally do to make your garlic butter; it adds a delicious creamy, almost-sweet-but-not-quite quality to it.

But here's the thing; you now have almost a pint of garlic infused milk...
    Make a bechamel with it and you get a cracking lasagne. I imagine it works in any savoury dish that calls for bechamel but I've only tried it in lasagne because I love lasagne. 
    Serve it with garlic bread made with your butter for plate wiping.... ooh baby.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Lard works great but is well unhealthy, not that loads of sunflower oil is that much better! Can't use anything else though as Dante says, the temp had to be super high and other oils of butter just burn.
  • I feel I need a sunday dinner right now...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just made SG's ragu.

That shit is DEEP.
  • Some of the recipes in the op have got me hyped for new stuff!  Have also been watching Ottolenghi's Mediterranean cookery program which is awesome.
  • My Yorkshires are amazing.
  • My Yorkshires bring all the boys to the yard
  • If Kelis was a Northern gal...
  • Arg wrote:
    I feel I need a sunday dinner right now...

You're a few days early.

I made a Gnocci bake tonight that was AMAZING.

1 pack of Gnocci (500g I think)
    1 pound of sausage meat
    100g mature cheddar
    100g mozzarella
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    1 carrot
    Onion salt
    Garlic granules
    Black pepper
    Cayenne pepper
    Mixed herbs
    Lemon juice
    Flour

The tomatoes down are to make a tomato sauce. You could use real garlic and onion if you wanted, but I don't really like them, and it's far easier to have them in the house than garlic and onions. Basically chuck the lot in a blender (making sure to chop the carrot!), spice amounts to taste. Only put a bit of flour in, it's there to add a little thickness and make a nicer colour. I tend to use a lot of cayenne, but depends how spicy you want it. This is the tomato sauce I use for basically everything.

Grate your cheese (mozzarella is a ballache to grate, so I buy ready grated), and mix together well.

Cut the sausage meat up and fry until brown, and cook the gnocci as normal. Mine was from frozen so took about the same time as the sausage meat. I added a load of pepper on the sausage as it was cooking, but it's probably not necessary. Once cooked, drain the gnocci, and any excess fat from the sausage. Add the tomato sauce and the gnocci to the sausage, then mix together. Add about half the cheese and mix some more. Empty the mixture into a casserole dish, then top with the rest of the cheese.

Chuck into a pre-heated oven at 200c for about 15-20 mins (when the cheese is browning and the sauce is bubbling nicely). Eat.

IMG-20130307-00868_zps7d1f0c76.jpg
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Just made SG's ragu. That shit is DEEP.

You can always use white wine or dried pasta if it gets a bit much. I like to knock it up when I'm home from the pub, but it's not for the fainthearted.
  • I put tandoori powder in my chilli. It's great.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Just made SG's ragu. That shit is DEEP.
    You can always use white wine or dried pasta if it gets a bit much. I like to knock it up when I'm home from the pub, but it's not for the fainthearted.

Making this later.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I'm making pork shoulder today. It has been in the oven for 2 hours so far. It's a bbc recipe, but it's hella good.

Ingredients
    For the pulled pork
    - oil, for greasing
    - 2kg/4lb 6½oz pork shoulder
    - 1 tbsp chilli flakes
    - 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
    - salt and freshly ground black pepper
    - 200ml/7¼fl oz white wine vinegar
    - 250ml/9fl oz cider
    - 3 onions, finely sliced
    - 6 cloves garlic, sliced
    For the coleslaw
    - half white cabbage, finely chopped
    - 2 carrots, grated
    - 2 red onions, finely sliced
    - 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
    - 175g/6oz mayonnaise
    - salt and freshly ground black pepper
    - 1 lime, juice only
    - 1 tbsp soy sauce
    To serve
    - soft white bread rolls
    - ready-made barbecue sauce

Method
    1. Preheat the oven to 170C/340F/Gas 3.
    2. For the pulled pork, oil a baking tray and place the pork shoulder on top. Mix together the chilli, mustard and salt and freshly ground black pepper, then rub the mixture into the pork shoulder.
    3. Pour the vinegar and cider over, then scatter over the onion and garlic.
    4. Cover with parchment paper, then wrap in foil and place into the oven to roast for three hours. Remove the parchment and foil, then roast for another hour.
    5. 'Pull' the pork by sticking a fork in the shoulder and shredding the meat into small pieces with another fork.
    6. For the coleslaw, in a separate bowl, mix together all of the coleslaw ingredients until well combined.
    7. To serve, pile the pulled pork shoulder on a serving plate and spoon the coleslaw next to it. Serve with soft white rolls and barbecue sauce to taste.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I've always been an orderer of saag paneer but have decided I should pull my finger out and get on the case with my own.

After reading various recipes and following a disaster or two, I believe the following hybrid to be well worth sticking next to one's curry. You can buy the paneer of course but where's the fun in that?

Paneer:

4 pints milk
    The juice of 1.5/2 lemons (size dependent. 8 units of milk to 0.3 of lemon juice)
    Butter

Saag paneer:

The above paneer
    500g spinach
    1 red chilli
    4 cloves of garlic
    An inch (or a thumb... ginger is measured strangely) of peeled ginger
    6 tbsp of double cream
    Tsp Garam masala
    Tsp Cayene pepper powder
    Salt

Cheese:

In a large saucepan, bring the milk to just below the simmer; juice you lemons as you wait. Keep stirring to avoid scolding.

Whilst you wait (and stir) line a colander with 4 layers of muslin.

When it's on the cusp of simmering, tip in the lemon juice and stir some more. Curds should start forming immediately; keep stirring. After about 60 secs you'll probably have all you're going to get.

Slowly pour into the muslin lined colander (it should almost fill it if it's a "normal" sized one; don't let in overflow. you will need to gather the corners of the muslin together). Let it drain whilst you go and do something more fun.

Seems like it's done draining? It's squeezin' time! Get a spoon and scrape as much curd as possible into the middle and then gather the corners together; we're aiming for a sealed in ball here.
    When you've got that, squeeze the crap out of it until you physically can't get any more liquid out of it.

Get a deep bowl (I used the pan I cooked the milk in) and suspend your cheesy package over it. (I used a clothes peg and the wooden spoon that I'd been stirring with.)
    Let it drain whilst you go and do something more fun (like shredding spinach) for about an hour.

Meanwhile, shred your spinach. About 5mm across, lose the big stalks (but don't worry too much). Set aside. 

Come back and open your cheese ball. Carefully scrape any curds that are up on the side back into the main cheese, stick it on a plate with the corners folded back over it and press it. I used the big pan refilled with water. Leave for as long as possible. Several hours at least.
    Unwrap and dice (1cm cubed) and fry in hot butter until browned in a wok/frypan you can cover (you'll see later). 
    It should look like well cooked halloumi.
    Set the paneer aside on a warm plate but keep the pan you've cooked it in; chuck some more butter in if it looks dry whilst you work on the rest.

The main event:

Keep the buttery pan on a mid heat.

Blitz the ginger, garlic and chili with a splash of water. You're looking for a thickish paste. 
    Chuck it in the pan; nice sizzle required.

When you've got the lovely aromatics going add the spinach. Toss it with the ginger, garlic and chilli mix, turn the heat down and lid it.

15 mins with the occasional stir to stop it catching.

When it's nicely wilted, add the garam masala and the cayenne. Give them a short time and a good mix in the pan and then add the cream and paneer cubes. Give it 5-10 mins.
    Stir, add the salt (to taste) and stir again. It should not require any further reducing, the cream is more of a lubricant. 

Serve. It's a side; the above recipe would be good for 2 with a nice curry but I just ate a bowl of it.

Edit: Oh yeah; ghee if you have it instead of butter. Regular butter seems ok to me though.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Crossposting for maximum spammage
    Yay, new post! How to make a FUCKING AWESOME brisket at home:

http://ilikeeatingwell.blogspot.co.uk
    /

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!