Zelda
  • I’m hoping I’ll remember most of the stuff, played it that much back in the day.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I'm stuck as fuck. Level 2 - Bottle Grotto.
    Spoiler:
    Possible solution but if I’m wrong about where you are it’s a possible spoiler
    Spoiler:

Christ, I didn't know that was a thing. Pretty sure there's absolutely no mention of that in the item description. I'll give it a try, cheers.
  • The witch gives you a clue.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    The witch gives you a clue.
    Of course she does

I remember Patrick Moore giving Zelda tip on games master and thinking that’s some obtuse puzzling

Although we used to have a lot more time back in the day
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nearly at the end. Has been an enjoyable romp. I couldn’t have got far on the original as there is so much I don’t recall. Yet the locations and my memory of them seems bang on. It doesn’t feel like they have changed anything map wise.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    The witch gives you a clue.
    Of course she does

I remember Patrick Moore giving Zelda tip on games master and thinking that’s some obtuse puzzling

Although we used to have a lot more time back in the day

I’d also say we had less choice. I mean with PS+ and Gamepass I have over 200 games I can dip into. In reality I should never need to buy a game ever again.

• I don’t ever remember getting stuck in Link’s Awakening. 

Ocarina I did. Had to look up solution and thought “how the fuck was I supposed to know that?!”
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I thought I was stuck at the start of Link’s Awakening; I could obviously tell that the raccoon was telling me that beating him was the key to progress, but for a long time I thought I was going the wrong way.

Regarding the witch, though, she tells you to try using the magic powder in her house. There’s only one thing in there it works on. And when you’re standing between two torches, one of which is unlit...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    She does, and she also says the powder is in short supply so I didn't want to waste any trying it out on random shit after I'd already used it on the rat and fuck all happened. Since I knew I had to use it on the raccoon I went straight there.

I did clock the unlit torch at the time, but thought it was something else to come back to once I found something that starts fires, like a fire arrow etc. much in the same way I gave up on trying to lift the heavy stuff until I got something to raise my strength.

I never for one second thought that magic mushroom powder is used for both transforming a raccoon into a human and lighting torches, because it makes absolutely no sense at all.
  • Andy wrote:
    I thought I was stuck at the start of Link’s Awakening; I could obviously tell that the raccoon was telling me that beating him was the key to progress, but for a long time I thought I was going the wrong way. Regarding the witch, though, she tells you to try using the magic powder in her house. There’s only one thing in there it works on. And when you’re standing between two torches, one of which is unlit...

Tugging rodents and elderly drug dealers, forgot how left field LA was :D
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • I never for one second thought that magic mushroom powder is used for both transforming a raccoon into a human and lighting torches, because it makes absolutely no sense at all.

Magic powder famously only having one purpose in any fiction which includes it... ;)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Dunno what fiction you're into where transformation powder doubles up as a fire starter, but I've certainly never come across that combination before, so it would have been handy to have that information in the item description.

I've just used it on a rabbit, and it neither transformed it nor set it alight. So shrugs all around here.
  • Try it on the electric blob by the witches house.
  • Using it on electro-cucumber in LttP was funny
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • She does, and she also says the powder is in short supply so I didn't want to waste any trying it out on random shit after I'd already used it on the rat and fuck all happened.

Yeah I thought that, but then I doubled back when I saw I had 20 blasts of it.
  • Dunno what fiction you're into where transformation powder doubles up as a fire starter...

I was just pulling your leg, although it should be pointed out that it’s not just transformation powder, it’s magic powder which, you are explicitly told, will have a variety of effects on different things.

(Also, it’s fairly common in fantasy for magic mcguffins to be used to light torches, or just generally provide light, so I’m unsure why you’re determined to assert that it’s use here is so wildly unimaginable.)
  • It’s like when Bob couldn’t find that map!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Dunno what fiction you're into where transformation powder doubles up as a fire starter...

I was just pulling your leg, although it should be pointed out that it’s not just transformation powder, it’s magic powder which, you are explicitly told, will have a variety of effects on different things.

(Also, it’s fairly common in fantasy for magic mcguffins to be used to light torches, or just generally provide light, so I’m unsure why you’re determined to assert that it’s use here is so wildly unimaginable.)

To be fair, being explicitly told that it's a thing which does stuff isn't the most enlightening (lel) description of an item. Every effect you can imagine could be applied to every object in the game from that incredibly vague nugget of information.

Have you got any examples of other magic mcguffins which are used to light torches, as I can't think of any? And I'm pretty sure there are more examples using regular stuff like a flint, fire arrows, fireball spells etc. which as well as making more sense to me, are also likely to be found in a game like this.

The fact that a fireball was circling the room was also a red herring, I spent a bit of time trying to figure out how to get it to light the torch as again that made a lot more sense to me than trying the magic powder out.
  • Agree with the magic powder being a bit random. 
    Spoiler:
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There have been a couple of moments in this where I've suspected the manual for the original was meant to act as a useful reference. Final Fantasy Adventure is kinda the same as there wasn't enough memory to put all the info in the actual game.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Something that's been annoying me a bit in this
    Spoiler:
  • Yep, but usually there is some clue, like them being out of formation, or the floor texture being different. At least there was on the GB original.
  • Has anyone struggled with the room in the second dungeon where you get the boss key?
    Spoiler:

I remember getting stuck there on the og version for ages with no idea how to proceed. I assume there was the same sound queue when you get it wrong but I always used to play with the sound off as my mum said it saved battery so never heard it. The Internet not being a thing it took so long to find out that the
    Spoiler:
  • There's a thing somewhere that tells you the order, but I never knew what the damn enemies were called.
  • Tempy wrote:
    There's a thing somewhere that tells you the order, but I never knew what the damn enemies were called.
    Oh I didn't know that. I'll need to go back and check.

I just brute forced it this time.
  • Tempy wrote:
    There's a thing somewhere that tells you the order, but I never knew what the damn enemies were called.

Yeah I ended up checking a guide here. As the clue is in a different room somewhere I didn’t even connect the two things.

• The owl tells you the order but yeah it's in another part of the dungeon. 

For all that people go on about it being short, it's bloody hard. It's not designed to be ploughed through. From memory, it's way more bottlenecked by puzzle and quest completion than LttP.
  • weadre wrote:
    Something that's been annoying me a bit in this
    Spoiler:

If you played the original game on gbc or gba the movable objects were also differently colored in some colour modes.
  • Have you got any examples of other magic mcguffins which are used to light torches, as I can't think of any?

Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings are two immediate examples I can think of for magic being used to set things on fire and provide torchlight. I’m sure I’ve seen it in Elder Scrolls videos, and I think I last did it in Nine Parchments, and.. are you really unfamiliar with the notion of magic and the elements going hand in hand?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Are you still pulling my leg? Because I can't see how you get there from what I've said. I even mentioned a fireball spell in the post you quoted. I'm fully aware of elemental magic, this isn't that.

Gandalf is the fire wizard, with a fire ring, not just a general magic dude. Harry Potter has to learn a fire spell and say the right words to cast it, not just shout abracadabra for every spell. In the Elder Scroll games you need to learn fire spells, enchant a weapon with fire etc. you don't just have a magic Swiss army knife that covers a load of completely unrelated uses.

In the Witcher you've got a fire spell, if you use it in combat you can burn up your enemies. Out of combat you can light torches and braziers with it to light dark areas. But that's all it's useful for, Igni is no good for stuff that you don't want to set on fire. Because it's a fire spell.

This powder being a general magic Jack of all trades is bullshit. I've used it to transform a raccoon, kill baddies (although not by burning them, that would have been too handy a hint) and light torches on fire. But I can't transform the rabbits, or kill certain other enemies, or set things other than the torches on fire. Why not? Why didn't it set the raccoon on fire and transform the torch?

What other uses does it have? I've not tried, but I doubt I can use it on deep water to freeze it so Link can walk over the ice, or sprinkle it on a plant to make it grow so I can climb to an inaccessible area, or this or that or anything you can think of within the broad spectrum of "it's cos it's magic innit?".

Total bollocks, how hard would it have been to have a powder to transform the raccoon and separate item or spell to light the torches?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!