Society's Ills - A study in the perceived inequalities between the "haves" and the "have nots"
  • LivDiv wrote:
    What does it say?

It’s saying that rich white folk aren’t completely irredeemable I guess? Good on them for providing sanctuary?
  • Not sure what the motorbikes are for, maybe there’s some kind of festival
  • I didn’t get it either.
  • WAKE UP SHEEPLE!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • *shrug*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    What does it say?
    It’s saying that rich white folk aren’t completely irredeemable I guess? Good on them for providing sanctuary?

The power of PR, in showing the difference in response for vital accommodation when you advertise tenants as hard-working, respectful and honest. As opposed to feckless, wasteful, avocado bandits. Or just now, Russian. We're encouraged who to support and overlook based on capitalist sustainment.

Facebook.jpg

Was Allsopp in another thread?

Toecutter's crew standing in for Captain Misery, as a ragelol nod of self-awareness re: the likelihood of an unshared view. At least some of those empty homes might get used for a bit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I saw the same empathy and outpouring of generosity when Syria was bombed tbf… oh wait.

DLJyglKW4AA4i1B.jpg

*it is great people in this country are supporting Ukraine refugees but let’s not kid ourselves that if these same people were further down the chart they wouldn’t be here.
  • I don't think that is fair. Given that Ukrainian refugees are predominantly all women and children, and Syrians were predominantly young men.
  • Personally I've not taken in a refugee from Syria, Ukraine or anywhere else so I dont think I'll be judging those that have.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m not judging the people at all. I’m judging the right wing rhetoric from the media.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I’m judging the right wing rhetoric from the media.

What those people are doing is indeed good, and so makes ideal rightwing marketing for a self-serving ‘deserve’ narrative.

The Facebook image there is a common not-the-time defence against criticisms of our majority slide in living standards, when this crisis is a fair time to discuss why so many empty properties haven't been utilised until now.

Not saying everyone with an empty should be forced to put up homeless thundercats, but unless they're right at the limit of their means, we could certainly increase their tax. More or less what Labour proposed, IIRC.
  • https://commons.com.ua/uk/zhitlova-politika-pid-chas-vijni/
    Spoiler:
    Such practices of solidarity are an example of the principle on which housing policy should be based: housing is a basic need, not a source of income, not a financial asset.

Unfortunately, the case of Lviv does not differ from other Ukrainian cities. The countries of the European Union are not ready to provide affordable housing for Ukrainian refugees. Although social housing and rental market regulations are more prevalent in the EU than in Ukraine, in recent decades the privatization and financialization of housing has gradually made it less accessible even to EU citizens, not to mention migrants and refugees. In the conditions of a small quantity of available housing there can be conflicts between conditional "own" and "new". Therefore, in addition to the question of whether EU countries want to accept Ukrainian women, it is worth asking whether they will be able to provide them with affordable housing, decent work, and social services. And with this question arises the question of how to create conditions that would equalize the rights of citizens and non-citizens, Ukrainians and Syrians. Answers to such questions can save lives.
    Time to shout

There are mistakes that are better not to learn from. One of these mistakes is Ukraine's real estate-oriented housing policy. The consequence of this policy is that people are not only forced to move to another part of their city, but also to return or stay in places where they may die from the actions of the Russian army.

Before the war, I called these processes displacement. I don't know what to call it now. But I am convinced that it is vital to continue to shout at those who make decisions about housing at the local, national and international levels, to shout in Ukraine and in the EU. Research, developments, recommendations are needed, it is necessary to exert political pressure. Shout about social housing, the protection of tenants' rights, the inadmissibility of the dominance of private property over the right to shelter, the urgent need to plan social and democratic housing policy for the future.

Shout with me, because it's not just about Lviv and not just about Ukraine.
  • This, as a bare fact, feels absolutely nuts. But is logical when you think about it. And must be playing into voting habits too (if you’re well-off you’re driven to vote to keep yourself that way).

One in five people over 65 in the UK is a millionaire.

(This is a three-year old Financial Times article, but what a headline. Wow.)

https://www.ft.com/content/c69b49de-1368-11e9-a581-4ff78404524e
  • How will we ever reach a consensus that the only way forward is to redistribute some of this capital? At some point someone just has to take it from them without asking. Sorry
  • I guess a large amount of that is tied up in property.
    I'm pretty sure my parent's place is worth about half a mil now, its nothing special its just location.
  • The great transition. The chancellor rubbing his hands together over his 40% cut.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I guess a large amount of that is tied up in property.

Exactly, yeah. Basically if you bought a normal-ish house 40 years ago, you’re independently wealthy now. If it was in the South-east of England, you’re a millionaire.
  • I couldn't find the research that article was citing but it suggests a lot of that is from final salary pensions as well.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    The great transition. The chancellor rubbing his hands together over his 40% cut.

Tory cabinet member rubbing his hands together over the prospect of people dying en masse. Nothing new there, I guess.
  • monkey wrote:
    I couldn't find the research that article was citing but it suggests a lot of that is from final salary pensions as well.

Yeah, it says the combo of homeowning plus that has been very powerful.
  • I feel like normalising home ownership ONLY once one might inherit from the previous, which is likely to be at or beyond one's own retirement age anyway, may be a bit unsustainable.
  • Vote Labour

*kazoo sounds

and we will address this problem by building some new homes
  • Vote Labour and we will ensure more homes are designed to be affordable at market rates
  • I guess it's possible that Brits adapt to large familial compound living with several generations under a single roof, somehow. Some houses are probably big enough for that, right.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I guess it's possible that Brits adapt to large familial compound living with several generations under a single roof, somehow.

In a 2 bed terraced.
  • Cosy kneesups every day, belting it out round the piano.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I guess it's possible that Brits adapt to large familial compound living with several generations under a single roof, somehow. Some houses are probably big enough for that, right.
    Fuck that entirely.
  • Maybe if we could get house price rises to slow down a bit that would fix the problem?
  • There should be controls on speculative purchasing, but you're still going to need an alternative mechanism to keep people pensioned if you can't then rely on various piles of bricks appreciating to make up, well, most of it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!