Peeling Onions
  • I hate you all, I made myself sad now.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I hate you all, I made myself sad now.
    Me to :-(
  • In the name of the father.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    metagonzo wrote:
    Cloud Atlas made me cry but only because it was such excrement.  (The film, not the book. The book is a thing of greatness.)
    Really? Loved the book and had high hopes for the film. I did have reservations about Tom Hanks though, I really like him in some films but just could not picture him in this.

If you loved the book then I recommend that you don't watch the film. It almost tarnished my memories of the book.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    metagonzo wrote:
    metagonzo wrote:
    Cloud Atlas made me cry but only because it was such excrement.  (The film, not the book. The book is a thing of greatness.)
    Really? Loved the book and had high hopes for the film. I did have reservations about Tom Hanks though, I really like him in some films but just could not picture him in this.
    If you loved the book then I recommend that you don't watch the film. It almost tarnished my memories of the book.

Did tom do OK or is he one of the problems?
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Graves of the Fireflies

I will cry at anything vaguely emotional, however this never fails to tear my heart up. When he finds the stones that she had thought were sweets. Every time.
  • Me mother took me to see ET on release, literally had to carry me out of the cinema I was so distraught. Project X too, chimps though are always an easy weakness for me.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    5 Centimeters Per Second

The moped scenes, for being sweetly reminiscent of my college days. 50s are slow enough to enjoy the companionship of your fellow riders, without the effort of cycling. Breezing along our quiet moor with an old mate (heading to play some PS1 games) was one of the happiest times in my life.

A Very Long Engagement

A boring film, but a stunning one. The countryside near the end is lit with a muted-yet-saturated autumnicity.
  • I never cried at stuff until my dad died.  After that, anything where a family member dies (especially a father) has me welling up.  

I cried at Apollo 13 ffs,  I've seen it 20 times before but seeing the daughter's face as she stares at the TV in shock during the re-entry scene set me off.

Song For Marion.  I lasted 10 fuckin minutes into that one.

The girlfriend has The Lion King on Blu-ray.  I'm actually scared to watch it.  I might bawl.
  • Cat Stevens didn't do Cats in the Cradle. It was Harry Chapin.

End of 3:10 To Yuma remake made me cry. Anything with weird bravery and sacrifice does it.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    grave of the fireflys.
    (everytime) 

robot and frank came close.

silver lining playbook nearly did the happy tears as did the perks of being a wallflower.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • That thing I posted in the No Subject thread a 5 days ago or thereabouts.  That was the most I've cried in a long time.
  • Requiem for a Dream, too. 

All the stuff with the mum upsets me no end.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    metagonzo wrote:
    metagonzo wrote:
    Did tom do OK or is he one of the problems?

One of the problems. One of his accents had me chuckling away until the gf shushed me.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I'm crying thinking about Up.

:'(

Snipe but makes me smile though :)

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • E.T.

Goddamn I can't stand feeling manipulated into bad emotions though.
  • Band of Brothers. The veterans of Easy Company talking to the camera before the credits of each episode - specifically the way (if I'm remembering this correctly) it's not revealed until the final episode who each man is, via text beneath. Proper tears.

Edit: And The Straight Story. Not even a specific scene, pretty much the whole bloody film.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Really anything overly trite and emotional will get to me. I'm a sucker for a music swell and a "moment" in a film. Notable failures on my part include

Disney's Beauty and the Beast
    The president's speech in Independence Day
    "NOW I KNOW WHY YOU CRY" Terminator 2
    The aforementioned Armageddon
    End of Royal Tenenbaums when Nico comes on
    The half an hour ending of Return of the King
    Chapter 6 of Gatsby (remembering the night with Daisy 5 years ago)
  • And that French singy thing.
  • Fuck that ending (or endings) of return of the king just went on and on and on and on...
  • i'm pretty sure hollywood have developed a special musical note to make things emotional.  disney certainly have it down pat, but so do most studios now it seems.
    you'll be watching something and be all like "yeah whatever, you're all very emotional but i saw it coming, not bothered..." then suddenly the music swells and next thing you know you're having to pretend to yawn, rub your eyes, look at the ceiling "no i'm not crying i have something in my eye woman!"
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Lots of things get to me, but generally I just get the sniffles or a few tears, very rarely full on blubbing.

The scene in the car towards the end of The Sixth Sense
    The hero reveal scene in Unbreakable
    One particular part of SOTC
    The later chapters in Marley and Me (haven't seen the film)
    Some of the Olympic victories - Kath Grainger, Jess Ennis, Chris Hoy and the, as they saw it, failure of Zac Purchase and Mark Hunter.
    The Battle of Britain memorial flight always gets me too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    As a young man, reading the ending of On The Beach had me with tears in my eyes - that was the first time it ever happened to me and as someone who didn't tend toward that sort of thing it was quite remarkable.

As the years have gone on and I got married and had kids I have become susceptible to emotional outbreakings by a great many more things - especially with respect to family trauma.

The ending of The Road in more recent times had a similar effect - I read that in one sitting - remarkable book.

Shoah is pretty much hard going all the way through but one scene in particular is an interview with a barber (it turns out it is set in a fake barber shop for some reason but the testimony is true) who survived the Treblinka death camp and his job was to shave the heads of those being prepared for the gas chamber. This guy keeps it together in the interview but falls apart when telling of the incident when a friend had to shave the heads of his own wife and sister without being able to let them know what was to happen....utterly heartbreaking - I'm struggling with this as I key.

The opening part of Up is another and believe it ot not -- Jessie's song from Toy Story 2. The main reason for that is that as my daughters grow up and leave behind the childish things it resonates with my feeling of them growing out of wanting to play with, and then relating with, me...feck I better stop typing this stuff.

I think Armageddon is a guilty pleasure of many more than who own up to the fact. The main father/daughter goodbye bit is bad enough - but when the relationship between the kid and estranged father is resolved it's even worse.

Part of me gets annoyed at being a patsy for emo Hollywood fodder and the other part of me says, "what the fuck..."

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Aye its a killer is Hachi. Graves of the Fireflies, Boy in;t Striped Pyjamas also. Still to watch Come and See properly. Earthlings too, probably the most harrowing thing I've seen along with Night and Fog.
    Fick yes, only fillum to get me full on UFHUFHUFHUFH and making involuntary weeping squeaks.  Fuckin' people.

Not sure I want to watch Night and Fog now.  I have it though.

The homeless scene set to Host of Seraphim in Baraka is a toughie.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    Lots of things get to me, but generally I just get the sniffles or a few tears, very rarely full on blubbing. The scene in the car towards the end of The Sixth Sense The hero reveal scene in Unbreakable One particular part of SOTC The later chapters in Marley and Me (haven't seen the film) Some of the Olympic victories - Kath Grainger, Jess Ennis, Chris Hoy and the, as they saw it, failure of Zac Purchase and Mark Hunter. The Battle of Britain memorial flight always gets me too.
    I know the part of which you spake.  I believe I was admonished for admitting to going dribbly about it.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • A film called My Life with Michael Keaton. In which he records a video diary for his unborn son as he suffers and dies from cancer. Had me blubbering like a harpooned whale.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    And of course:

OxuRcEt.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    :(
  • Rare that I outright break down, but a recent welling up occurred whilst watching the first clip below from You're Gonna Miss Me. I was drunk at the time so maybe a factor, but Roky's life is filled with tragedy and I don't think it's hard to feel for the guy. From his wiki page:

"Mental illness and legal problems

In 1968, while performing at HemisFair, Erickson began speaking gibberish. He was soon diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and sent to a Houston psychiatric hospital, where he involuntarily received electroconvulsive therapy.[2]

The Elevators were vocal proponents of LSD, mescaline, DMT[citation needed] and marijuana use,[citation needed] and were subject to extra attention from law enforcement agencies. In 1969, Erickson was arrested for possession of a single marijuana joint in Austin. Facing a potential ten-year incarceration, Erickson pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to avoid prison. He was first sent to the Austin State Hospital. After several escapes, he was sent to the Rusk State Hospital for the Criminally Insane, where he was subjected to more forced electroconvulsive therapy and Thorazine treatments, ultimately remaining in custody until 1972."

So yeah, this clip in particular had me. To think that the handsome, young, smiling Roky from the 60s was now this frazzled, rotten toothed man was quite a blow. And on top of that they lyrics aren't exactly cheery.

Anyway, sorry for waffling on! Here's the clip:

AND! This just came to mind, a clip which my housemate says he can only watch in private:

EDIT - Dammit, can't get time-linked YT posts to work, anyone help out? Don't want to link a whole 10min clip.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!