Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Dark Forces motherfuckers.
    Seconded
    Thirded. This gun fills, like, half the screen!!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skutbox that was just the Darktrooper gun, the rest were saner.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    As I recall.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    krs wrote:
    They were gone once Gilbert and Schafer had gone.

Gilbert and Schafer were gone once Gilbert and Schafer had gone.
  • I_R wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Sorry, but if that were the case there's no way that Disney would have shelled out 4.05 billion for Lucasarts and Lucasfilm. What ip did they have? Indy and Star Wars? I doubt Indy commanded much of that total. So, if Disney don't think that the Star Wars name carries much any more, why shell out all that dough?
    The games had acquired a reputation of not being very good. Disney know how to milk a franchise in almost every other medium, that's why they bought the brand, not to make games.

How much did Lucas arts pay to have swtor made by EA? Zilch. How much to they make? A fuck ton. Leverage the IP burden the risk on other people and profit.

• Day of the tentacle was very good. And I played a lot of x wing and tie fighter as well.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes. DotT was arguably the pinnacle of 2D Lucasarts P&Cs, although I also want to make a mention of Full Throttle and Sam & Max as no-one seems to have done so yet.
    Also: FFSDisneycanyouplzremakeGrimFandangoforaformatthatIownsoIcanfinallyplayitthankyouverymuch?
  • Favourite Lucasart games?

So many good ones. But if I had to choose:

1. The Secret Of Monkey Island
    2. Star Wars: Battlefront
    3. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
  • Skerret wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Dark Forces motherfuckers.
    Seconded
    Thirded. This gun fills, like, half the screen!!

I'm a Jedi Knight the first kinda guy. Dark forces 2 was pimp.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Can't say I'll miss them.

Disney may create some fun thrill rides in their parks with the IP though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Have never actually played DFII. Probably should.
  • Sad to see them go. Monkey Island is probably my fav game ever. And as a Star Wars fan and PC gamer in the 90s I had an absolute blast with the the X-Wing and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games. The Force Unleashed games weren't too bad either. For my shame I even played the Ewok slaughtering DLC.
  • Good riddance to bad shite. Started brilliantly tbf. 

Still, fuck 'em.
  • Did Lucasarts make the 16bit star wars platform games?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Yep. They were really good at the time.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Have never actually played DFII. Probably should.
    Definitely, that was a helluva game.
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbors was one of my favourite SNES games.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors was one of my favourite SNES games.

Was that the one with trampolines and water guns? That was a brilliant game. I used to play it with my brother all the time.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes, it was, and yes it was flipping wonderful. I traded Sonic 2 for it when a young 'un.
  • If you really think about it, all these "I loved Point and Click game X back in the 90s" and "I loved TIE Fighter/Dark Forces/Rogue Squadron/etc" comments really bring it home why LucasArts has gone now - nobody can mention anything from the last 6-7 years, aside from maybe The Force Unleashed, that has been of any kind of high quality.

The LucasArts of the 90s (and early 2000s) sadly never really made it to the current generation.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I don't think that's why they're gone though.

Disney could easily staff up and crank out all sorts of tie-ins for the 3 new films and multitude of spin offs. They just don't want to. As a vehicle to produce StarWars themed games they'd have been perfectly viable.

Disney have gutted their own studios, for whatever reason the efforts they did make didn't work out so they're outta there.
  • Because it's far easier to just license out the IP.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Licensing it out has dramatical decreased its worth, imo. What do work for hire's care about the IP?

I'd have made the Lucasarts/StarWars name on a game mean something again. Then farm it out.
  • There isn't a guarantee of Star Wars games selling these days, not in the numbers you need to justify a budget in the tens of millions. The last two Force Unleashed games bombed hard and 1313 didn't look likely to do better considering it was only going to appear on new consoles and the PC and was apparently already a development disaster.

Publishers will pay them for the rights to make Star Wars Lego games and for the rights to games based on the next films and cartoons. No one will try an MMO, but EA or Activision might shell out for a FPS if they get into a real rut. It's not going to make Disney a fortune, but it's zero risk, easy money.
  • I think LucasArts has proven over the past few years that it isn't capable of making AAA games anymore. Disney probably realised this and decided to just dump the failing studio.

I'd have honestly preferred to see the studio cut down and streamlined/injected with fresh talent rather than a massive cut to jobs, but as has been said, licensing out IP is much cheaper and more profitable.

Look what happened to Metroid when Nintendo licensed it out - we got the critically acclaimed Prime trilogy. Okay, we then got the atrocious Other M but let's just forget about that one...
  • Knights of The Old Republic was well received (at the time), so it's possible for other developers to produce decent Star Wars games.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    And then KOTOR II was a bit shit. It's all right licensing other studios to make games, but you want to be sure you're getting a Bioware not an Obsidian.*

There needs to be a fine balance between low cash risk and high reputational risk. And doing it yourself is I think the best way to manage that.

Disney could farm out their animation properties to any old studio. Would be a lot cheaper but when the quality starts to dive then you've got problems.

*although ironically the MMO proved the exact opposite.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!