Recreational Drugs
  • The outpouring of empathy you feel on MDMA is impossible to describe if you haven't experienced it. It not just about feeling good in yourself (although you do, very very much) but you feel so connected, as if the part of you that is a social animal is enormously magnified. Even if you do it alone that's true. You find yourself thinking intensely about people you know, and even people you don't know and trying to understand how they might think and feel. It's easy to see why it was used in therapy - particularly couples therapy - when it was first developed. Oh god the comedown though. All the residual stimulation once the euphoria is gone. Hellish. Not too bad if you don't redose, but that takes more willpower than I've ever had.

LSD, well. The line between the tangible and the abstract blurring out of focus. The half-smile of of being amused by your own confusion, and being confused by your own amusement. The constant surprise that you can not only withstand but even enjoy the staggering complexity inherent in every moment. Every sound like a word in a language you have long forgotten. Both dreamlike and hyperreal. Way out to sea, no land in sight, on a raft of your own consciousness.

For twelve fucking hours. I know there are shorter acting tryptamines but none of them are as good. LSD has the backbone of both tryptamine and phenethylamine. It is the ur-psychedelic. I haven't done mescaline (nor will I, I wouldn't have the stomach for it these days) so I can't say for sure LSD is the best of the serotonergic psychedelics, but it's as amazing as I'd ever need anything to be.

Now 5-MeO-DMT - remember that Yossarian? Round the Spike with Paul? When the whole entire universe collapsed and reconfigured itself within about six minutes? That scared the hell out of me and I loved it.
  • Yea i totally agree. We'd been heavily drinking so i like to think that impaired our judgement. He was also the sort of character who by his very nature was always going to be the butt of all jokes. Not that that makes it better, of course.

My Dad always spoke of a particularly horrifying experience while he was in the South African army. He'd taken rather a lot of trippy cactus juice the name of which i can never remember. The trip then took a horrible turn and he was caught out by a supervisor. They then rolled him up tightly in an old carpet and left him in a barn to sober up as punishment overnight. He does a better job of telling the story than i ever could, but it sounded fucking horrific.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    San Pedro?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    DMT was amaze.
  • DMT is the one tick I'm ever sorry I never collected and possibly the only thing of that sort I'd possibly still try.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Try ayahuasca and go all David Icke.
  • One day, when I'm about fifty, I do plan to 'go all David Icke.' It just looks like so much fun.
  • Now I'm out of prison, I got me a friend at last
    He don't steal or cheat or drink or lie
    His name's codeine, he's the nicest thing I've seen
    Together we're gonna wait around and die

- Townes Van Zandt

That's the last verse of the first song ol' Townes ever wrote. He used to intravenously inject whiskey, intentionally fell backwards out of a second story window to see how it would feel, and once - right in front of his good friend Steve Earle - loaded three rounds into a revolver, put it to his head and pulled the trigger three times. It took Earle a long old time to forgive him for that.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A song that never made it on to any album unfortunately. But I jumped around a lot to this band at college.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You were at college in '91? You're older than I thought.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A lot older than you think, yes. Pay attention to my wisdom.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hang on, so all the rubbish you spout on here is wisdom? I really need to recalibrate my view of the world.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Tis only rubbish to your young brain. When you're older you'll understand.
  • Kow - that tune is sounding real good on codeine. Fuck I'm good at cold water extraction. Could write a fucking pamphlet.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    metascrawl wrote:
    You would be strongly advised not to incriminate yourself, so only talk about illegal drugs you've done in the past, not illegal drugs you plan to do or are currently on.

How long has it been since this edit?
  • It's been like that all along. What have you been smoking?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nothing, unfortunately.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    metascrawl wrote:
    You would be strongly advised not to incriminate yourself, so only talk about illegal drugs you've done in the past, not illegal drugs you plan to do or are currently on.
    How long has it been since this edit?

That was there from when I changed thread title and original post. I think I'm safe in talking about being up on code, because I bought it legally and as far as I can discern once I own it I can do what I like with it, as long as I don't sell the extract (which of course I would never do). I did say that posting while high is a bad idea in any case because one tends to spout nonsense, but I'm feeling perfectly lucid, and I assume I'm writing that way too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What? I can make out a word of that.
  • I'm off everything at the moment. 

Just in the final stages of IVF treatment and both me and the gf are abstaining from things to increase fertility (me - weed, tobacco, baths; her - coffee, booze). 

My final part in the process is on Wednesday. Then I'm a free man. We've been doing this for a few months now. It's been difficult. I don't drink at all really. I'm a reasonably regular user so breaking the habit has been quite hard. It's opened my eyes a bit about the some of the stuff I do. There's some games I just can't play if I'm not stoned. Nearly all tv is right out.
  • ^ Good on you for having such self control. As much as I am attached to getting high on various things, I like to think that I'd step up to the plate in circumstances such as yours. No drug could possibly be good enough to jeopardize something like having a child, which I'm sure will give you an amazing buzz far in excess of anything drugs can offer. I wish you the very best of luck with the IVF.

Weed isn't an important factor in tv for me (although it certainly was at one time), but beer certainly is. I just can't settle down to watching a film or a show without a cold one to hand. But I'm sure I would do if I had good reason like you - one of the best reasons I could conceive of.

Conceive, geddit? Unintentional pun.
  • That's reasonable punnery.

Cheers anyway. There's only a 30% of IVF working so might all be for nothing. Fingers crossed. Looking forward to Wednesday night though.
  • Better odds than you get in Vegas! I'm routing for you hard. Is it a case of just repeating the process if it doesn't work? Do you get as many shots at it as you want? Sorry, it's quite personal so you don't have to answer that, I'm being quite nosey now! 

I'm also interested in what you'll do when you're a father. Will you continue to smoke (when you get enough of a break from childcare to indulge) and if so, when your kid is old enough that the subject comes up will you be open about it? A friend of mine has two kids (oldest is six) and smokes every day. He doesn't smoke in front of them, but he keeps jars of weed in plain view around the flat. He's a terrific father from what I can see, and I respect his choice, but I don't think it's the path I would take frankly.

Actually my old man got busted for possession recently when he was sniffed out by police dog in Old Street Tube. Imagine that, a fifty-nine year old in a suit getting a dressing down from a cop half his age! My mum was with him and was utterly mortified. He's quit the weed and cigs since then, and gotten pretty fat as a result, much to the amusement of the whole family.
  • It's a good thing I don't have access to codeine other than fucking grinding up nearly a hundred cocodemol pills with the end of beer bottle before mixing it with just the right amount of water and poring it all into a filter that may well break meaning I have to start again and waiting forever for it to drip, drip, drip through and then painstakingly squeezing out the filter without dumping APAP back into the mixture and having start again, etc. fucking ect. An hour's very boring and fiddly work to achieve a two hour, fairly mild high. It's lovely but it's incredibly annoying to get at. Which is the point really isn't? Make it hard for people and they usually can't be fucked with it. It's a strategy that works on me most of the time. God knows where I'd be if I could walk into a chemist and say 'codeine phosphate pills please' or 'a pack of Boots brand oxycodone my good sir.' Or simply 'Can I get a bag of heroin please? Yes it's for me. No I'm not taking any other medication. I'll make sure to take it after meals.'

What I find hard to understand is what on earth 16mg of codeine is supposed to achieve in terms of pain relief. Even with zero tolerance to opoids it can't have any real effect. 512mg only just about gets you high, so what can 16mg possibly do that a gram of paracetamol alone can't take care of?
  • metascrawl wrote:
    Now I'm out of prison, I got me a friend at last He don't steal or cheat or drink or lie His name's codeine, he's the nicest thing I've seen Together we're gonna wait around and die - Townes Van Zandt That's the last verse of the first song ol' Townes ever wrote. He used to intravenously inject whiskey, intentionally fell backwards out of a second story window to see how it would feel, and once - right in front of his good friend Steve Earle - loaded three rounds into a revolver, put it to his head and pulled the trigger three times. It took Earle a long old time to forgive him for that.

It's almost like you're insisting I repost this:

• metascrawl wrote:
    Better odds than you get in Vegas! I'm routing for you hard. Is it a case of just repeating the process if it doesn't work? Do you get as many shots at it as you want? Sorry, it's quite personal so you don't have to answer that, I'm being quite nosey now!  
    That's alright. You can do it as many times as you like, but you only get one go on the NHS, so this one's paid for. It's about 4 grand a pop after that.
    metascrawl wrote:
    I'm also interested in what you'll do when you're a father. Will you continue to smoke (when you get enough of a break from childcare to indulge) and if so, when your kid is old enough that the subject comes up will you be open about it?
    Unknown. Like I said, I don't drink and can't imagine spending the rest of my days sober. I think I'd just keep it discreet, not in the house, much less often, that sort of thing. The girlfriend wants me to give it up completely if we do have a kid. It's not going to happen though, not completely.
  • Moot - I didn't insist that you post it, but now you have I insist that everyone watches it. If you're not moved, at least a little, then you might like to give some serious thought to the proposition that you are dead inside.

Also, everyone should listen to the version of 'Pancho and Lefty' with which he opens his set on the 'Live a the Old Quarter' album - "thanks man, I don't think I ever heard it that quiet in here before." Working out how to play it was one of the most satisfying moments I've ever had as a musician, and it's one of very few songs that I will sing in front of people because it's so well written and moving that it sounds good even when I sing it with my shitty voice.

monkey - That seems very reasonable to me indeed. The fact that you have a kid shouldn't deny you the right to have a private life of your own, and as long as you kept your smoking within that sphere, it couldn't possibly be damaging to your family life. Except of course that there's always lung damage to consider, but not much if you were just smoking now and again - which is all that opportunity would allow for as you've indicated. And anyway, you could always switch to vaporization rather than smoking.

I have been thinking about what I would do if I caught a kid of mine with, for example, ketamine. From what moral high ground could I possible admonish them? And yet I would feel comfortable with condoning it. Tricky.
  • I've been listening to that album since I posted the vid.  The best ever version of Tecumseh Valley.
  • When I worked in HMV in the specialties department there was a regular who was well into his country and would talk to me about it a lot. Townes was his favourite, and he said that his music was like walking down a street on a hot day, and then turning a corner towards the wind and feeling a cool breeze hit your face. It was the only even vaguely poetic thing that guy ever said to me, which makes it stand out even more in my memory. I think it's a spot-on description of the experience of listening to that music.
  • The most memorable thing a customer ever said to me when I worked in retail was 'have you got Residential Evil on Playstation?'.  I can certainly see where your guy was coming from with his description; there really is nothing quite hlike Townes for an unexpected yet wholly welcome emotional wallop.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!