Gadgets, Tech, etc.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've been wanting to buy a decent 8 inch Android tablet. I'd ideally like to avoid Samsung, but am open to suggestions. It will be mostly used as an eReader, but I don't want one of those poncey digital ink tablets. 

All the better if it's a tablet running pure Android, because those forked versions of Android annoy me quite a bit.

E-readers are a hell of a lot better for reading. Why not go for a dedicated reader if that’s the main use for it?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If you want it to be a tab as well then the Amazon Fire 8 inch tab serves the purpose. It's not a high end tab but it works great as a reader and it functions perfectly well for all other tab type stuff.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I've been wanting to buy a decent 8 inch Android tablet. I'd ideally like to avoid Samsung, but am open to suggestions. It will be mostly used as an eReader, but I don't want one of those poncey digital ink tablets.  All the better if it's a tablet running pure Android, because those forked versions of Android annoy me quite a bit.
    E-readers are a hell of a lot better for reading. Why not go for a dedicated reader if that’s the main use for it?

I want the option to browse the web in colour, mostly. It's better than a phone for those long form blog articles, and has better portability than a laptop.

As for the Amazon Fire, I'm still considering one of those, but the Amazon OS is the worst of all the bastardised forms of Android OS.
    I know. I'm being picky. The Nexus was perfect. I want something more like that.

Lenovo seem to do something similar. Google apparently also have a 'Pixel' tab in the pipeline, but I'm not up for waiting for that.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Bonkers nearly fully 3D printed keyboard concept -

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've been wanting to buy a decent 8 inch Android tablet. I'd ideally like to avoid Samsung, but am open to suggestions. It will be mostly used as an eReader, but I don't want one of those poncey digital ink tablets.  All the better if it's a tablet running pure Android, because those forked versions of Android annoy me quite a bit.
    I want the option to browse the web in colour, mostly. It's better than a phone for those long form blog articles, and has better portability than a laptop. As for the Amazon Fire, I'm still considering one of those, but the Amazon OS is the worst of all the bastardised forms of Android OS. I know. I'm being picky. The Nexus was perfect. I want something more like that. Lenovo seem to do something similar. Google apparently also have a 'Pixel' tab in the pipeline, but I'm not up for waiting for that.

My trusty old Kindle 2 with 3G came with a browser. Still works as far as I know - will have to check that. I have no idea what the download limit is with it because the 3G connection is contractless.  3G is getting pulled by the telcos next year of course so that will prevent me from buying books that way. Will just have buy 'em on my PC and copy them onto the Kindle.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Does it not have wifi as well?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nope.

It's what was called the International Edition. A very early model with the physical keyboard. 3g only.

Wifey got it for me one Christmas and it was shipped from the states.
  • Oh. My keyboard version (now dead - killed by my daughter) had both but it was probably a later generation.

At least copying files is easy to do.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The online shop used by my Kindle has been knocked on the head. If I buy a book on the amazon site it still gets automatically pushed out to the Kindle but that will end when the 3g wraps up whenever the carrier (I have no idea which network it is !!) ceases the service.

As you say, copying books over is easy enough. No real hardship.

The Kindle is by some margin the best gizmo I've ever owned. I love things that do one thing really well.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    In the end, I bought this. It's not bad actually. The Samsung version of Android wasn't quite as clunky as I first thought it was. It's working well with the book I've brought it for, but it's also cool for watching Twitch, webpages, etc.
    I've always been fond of those 7inch (ooerr) form tablets.

There's was another gadget I'd been considering...

I know there are a few designers around, so wondered if anyone has any graphics tablet recommendations? I have a really old one, and sometimes, it will lock up (I'm pretty sure it's the drivers and not the PC). Preferably an A4 one. I find those A5 ones too small.

Also, I'd consider a Wacom, but if there are other brands with similar spec / performance, and are cheaper, then that would be cool.

Also, has anyone got, or have worked with one of those ones with built in screens? Are they worth it?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Thread resurrection!

I’ve just changed my Wi-Fi kit at home which means I have a whole lot of fancy Wi-Fi mesh gear going spare. I’m going to pop it all on eBay but thought I’d see whether any badgers were interested first. I do you deal? Good deal? Much cheap.

All Ubiquiti Amplifi brand. A mix of Amplifi HD routers and Amplifi Instant mesh points.

https://amplifi.com/amplifi-hd
    https://amplifi.com/instant

It’s great kit if you have a house where your single router struggles to give coverage all over. Instead of using an extender (which can mean you end with two Wi-Fi points and have to switch between them) using mesh points means you have a single consistent signal everywhere.

I have a lot of mesh points, which I can split up into smaller sets to sell. I think I have three HD routers and three or four Instant mesh points.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I was thinking about getting a mesh set up because all extenders seem to be trash and I've had two of the hard wired things which use your electric wiring break down on me. Fucking how? No moving parts
  • I mean, if anyone should be able to make the powerline variety work, you’d think a sparky could …
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm certain it's not the wiring at fault. Shocking stuff
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    DJ Trump would love that.
  • *chortle*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I-I-I-I wikiwikiwikiwikiwiki won.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Was at my mates house and he put on Neil Young record (Live at Carnegie Hall) and it sounded fucking amazing, so now I am thinking of getting a record player.
    No virtually nothing about hifi separates, any recommendation for amps and speakers?  Ideally around £1K total for 2 speakers and amp.  He had SL1200 turntable, is this a safe bet or is there something comparable for less?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @AndCallMeCharlie

There's a couple of threads about hi-fi, I think.

You would need to check out what your mate's setup cost.  It's all about diminishing returns - in an ideal world you start with entry level stuff and then gradually upgrade until you can't hear the difference. Some audio shops let you audition the different kit they have but not sure how many of them do that any more.

It's impressive how good CDs sound when you have a good system as well so don't get your head turned by having a turntable as it's a very deep rabbit hole - you can spend a lot of money on the arm, cartridge, pickup/needle etc.  I got a NAD belt driven turntable in Ca$h Converters and it sounds good to me through my old Pioneer amp.

That's a 4 grand turntable you were listening to......and there's no cartridge on the arm.

https://www.richersounds.com/technics-sl1200g.html

Amp and speakers first.
  • Big speakers are where it's at, at least 8 inch woofers so there's some reasonable bass response.
  • That SL1200 is the DJ’s standard equipment. The weapon of choice.

Total overkill for a home setup, unless you’ve cash coming out of your ears. (You may well have though, I’m not making assumptions!)
  • This is a great deal for dipping your toe in the water:

https://www.richersounds.com/denon-dp-29f-silver-cambridge-audio-axa25-lunar-grey-with-wharfedale-diamond-9-0-black.html

Be careful though, it may never end...

I've got one of these:

https://www.whathifi.com/rega/planar-1/review

It looks lovely and plays nice with all my stuff. Although I do really want a new amp...
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Cheers, much to think over - I had a look for a hi-fi thread on here but couldn't find one.
    I am in Switzerland and can't speak French (or German) so going into a shop and getting advice is complicated.
    I remember the SL1200's from my teenage years where everyone wanted a pair to start their DJing career - will look for something more cost effective.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Just to clarify - Technics make two kinds of SL1200 these days. The audiophile ones, like Davy linked to, and cheaper ones for the DJ market - the SL1200 Mk7 comes in around £900.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I like how £900 is cheaper.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • These things are always relative …
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    True, but I still always imagine myself trying to explain £900 on a record player to someone, say, reliant on food banks.
  • It’s barely the price of a pair of Trump trainers.
  • On the record player subject... I sent my mate a photo of 3 CDs last night, with the caption, "£3".

In turn, he sent me an image of 3 Vinyls, titled, "£118".
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!