The acoustic music discussion thread
  • This is a very interesting thread.  I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and watching the vids.  Yes I'm drunk. 

• Pete Seegar's is great - did you know he invented the terms 'hammer on' and 'pull off' in his seminal banjo instruction book? He was also one of the only two people to plead the first amendment rather than the fifth when hauled before the Unamerican Activities Committee.

From a purely musical point of view, I do prefer his bother Mike, especially as a banjo player:

Here he is backing up the the unparallelled Doc Watson:

And here's Mike and Pete together - got to hand it to Pete here, as mandolin is far from being his primary instrument:

And one last thing about Pete, is that he gave national exposure to geniuses such a Rev. Gary Davies on his TV show, as seen here:

The look of pleasure, fascination and respect on Pete Seegar's face is just perfect.
  • Re: fretting a bass note with a thumb: nothing wrong with it, I do it all the time, but not learning proper thumb placement means I now have a lot of trouble exerting pressure in some chord shapes due to sloppy technique.

Better to learn some rigid ass form early on when you're rubbish, so that the good effects carry through.
  • As the thread rerails itself with talk of plucky-plucky instruments, I'll just leave you with what I think is a marvellous example of an unclassical violin technique, demonstrated brilliantly by Casey Driessen.
  • metascrawl wrote:
    I'd be well up for a jam, and you'd be more than welcome to have a play of my Goldtone - or my crappy Ozark for that matter, as an example of what to avoid in terms of poor setup. I only have open backs as I've said, but of course it's the same instrument fundamentally, and most open back models have their resonator equivalents. I'm mainly fer frailin', but I do know a few simple up-picking pieces as well that I could show you - not Scruggs-style, but older up-picking styles that he drew on when creating his sound. I haven't played with others for a while either - I have an open invite to play at a regular Irish jam near me but my lack of skill, and even more worryingly, my very thin repertoire has made me too nervous to turn up so far. A friendly, no-pressure jam would be great. EDIT: This looks like a very decent instrument not too far out of your range: http://www.andybanjo.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_RB195GT Nice that the resonator is removable, which would make it lighter if you wanted to take it out to the park, and quieter for those around you when you're still finding your feet and not sounding so good. And Goldtones are a pretty safe bet by all accounts. Seems like it's of similar quality to my Goldtone open back, which as I say I'm more than happy with.

Fantastic, yeah I'd be well up for some jamming. Sounds like we're interested in playing similar kinda stuff too; I've basically been trying to teach myself more fingerstyle since January, trying to hit more of the country flavour of Lead Belly or just more delta-y stuff in general, rather than ham-fistedly bashing chords. Essentially I've done away with my picks for now and am trying to get at least competent at creating a good rhythmic sound with fingers. Finding it somewhat difficult but think I'm improving and have been using vids from Mr Deltabluestips (https://www.youtube.com/user/deltabluestips) for inspiration. Never had any 'proper' lessons though outside of youtube vids like those and the basic major chords scrawled on a piece of paper by a mate when I first started, so I'm sure I've got plenty of bad habits.

I'm off on me hols for a week from tomorrow but after that would be very grateful for a introduction to the banjo and some jamming in general.

Oh, thanks for the banjo link too, that does indeed look like the kind of thing I'm after. Now to convince myself to spend the money.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If you need anyone to be rubbish at guitar during a jam session, you know where to find me.
  • The more the merrier I say! We should probably discuss who's going to wear the dungarees and who's going to wear the bolo tie though. Bagsie bolo tie.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Re: fretting a bass note with a thumb: nothing wrong with it, I do it all the time, but not learning proper thumb placement means I now have a lot of trouble exerting pressure in some chord shapes due to sloppy technique. Better to learn some rigid ass form early on when you're rubbish, so that the good effects carry through.

I dunno, I like being a mess of poor form and bad habits. And I don't much care for closed-position chords (although I can quite easily switch my grip to play them if I feel like it). No one will ever hire me as a session musician for noodling around in in open C tuning while barely ever fretting more than three strings at once, but that's not why I picked up a guitar in the first place.
  • I don't like being a mess of poor form and habits because it compounds on top of my lack of talent for the instrument and is detrimental to the noises I make
  • nick_md & Yossarian - cool, let the jam commence! Any other interested parties are welcome to join. Maybe we could do it round at mine as there are (at last count) around twenty stringed instruments in the house - lots of guitars (including couple of twelve strings and a couple of electrics) plus banjos, ukes, a mountain dulcimer, a mandola and a mandolin which I will strum very hard directly into Yossarian's ear for an hour.

So let me know when you're back nick, and we'll arrange. I'm happy to give finger picking tips (and actually Yoss is no slouch at the old picking these days as I discovered the other week). Here's me doing a bit of picking what I did made up myself.

Yoss can have the dungarees by the way, I'm just going to chew on a piece of straw.
  • @ igorgetmeabrain - Thanks for that vid - that guy's style is dirty as all hell, I love it!
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's very neat, but no Stairway pls

gibsonmandotenor.jpg
  • Duuude!

Seriously, I never really saw the point in double-necked guitars. Unless you're going to fret tap both necks simultaneously like in the vid Yoss posted earlier, you've just kind of got two guitars smushed together to a rather mutated looking effect, like a calf born with two heads. It seems to me to be an example of functionality without purpose, and they don't do it for me aesthetically at all. It's like harp guitars - very impressive instruments but they look a bit gross to my mind, like the lines of the guitar have been interrupted by some kind of cancerous growth.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But it's two SGs. I'd be happy with one, how amazing must two feel?
  • I would counter that I'd much rather be the father of twins than conjoined twins. Actually I'd rather have just one baby than conjoined twins. And therefore I'd much prefer to own that cool looking short-scale SG electric twelve string if it wasn't inextricably attached to that (admittedly very nice) six string guitar.
  • As the thread rerails itself with talk of plucky-plucky instruments, I'll just leave you with what I think is a marvellous example of an unclassical violin technique, demonstrated brilliantly by Casey Driessen.

This is fucking splendid.
  • Guy's like the Colin Stetson of fiddles.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    But it's two SGs. I'd be happy with one, how amazing must two feel?

It's actually an electric mandolin coupled with an electric tenor guitar (four strings tuned in fifths like a banjo/mando). You just said something nice about mandolins.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Noooooooooo.
  • krs wrote:
    It's actually an electric mandolin coupled with an electric tenor guitar (four strings tuned in fifths like a banjo/mando). You just said something nice about mandolins.

Ha yes! I didn't count the machine heads! It's a bloody mandolin! Haha! That's why the scale-length is so short, of course. I didn't count the machine heads on the guitar either. I wouldn't mind a tenor guitar, but it's not high on my list of instruments to own. They're good for chords because you've got one finger per string. But I like open strings personally, being an open-tuning kind of guy. Lots of chords with flattened fifths and augmented what-have-yous ain't my bag. I only like jazz when other people play it.

The four long strings on a five string banjo are tuned differently - most commonly to DGBD (open G -almost all bluegrass and a lot of oldtime) CDBD ('old' standard or drop C) CGCD (double C - hundreds of oldtime fiddle tunes) or DGCD (saw-mill, mountain modal, mountain minor - for Dorian mode old time tunes, and sometimes used by bluegrass players to play an occasional 'spooky' tune.) There are loads of other tunings with awesome names - Cumberland Gap tuning, Graveyard tuning, Last Chance tuning. For some tunings the short string is tuned down from G to F or F# or E. I love 'em all.
  • Holiday done, ready to get my jam on yo!
  • Cool cool cool. I'm tied up this week and the weekend, but completely free from next Monday onward. I'm not working at the moment, just studying to my own schedule so I can do week days, or otherwise I can keep next weekend (26/27) free.

Yoss, you are welcome, if there's any time next week you can't do let me know.

Any other interested parties are also welcome.
  • Word. Weekends best for me tbh, working past 6 most days in the week so either the sat or sun would be grand, let's see what Yoss says perhaps.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm easy.
  • Shall we say Saturday the 25th of May then?
  • Works for me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Looks like we have a plan.
  • Nice one, this'll be fun! Nick, if you PM me your email address then I'll be in touch with you and Yoss via email nearer the time to confirm and arrange a time on that day and give directions to mine and stuff.

Anyone else reading this that would like to come and play stringed instruments with us (or even keyboards - I have a fully functioning bontempi electric organ that I found on the street that's actually quite a decent instrument) at my house in North London on the 25th is more than welcome to send me their email address too. No need to bring an instrument, as I have a house full of them - unless you want to play fiddle as I don't have one of those.

I've spent the day playing my Dad's hand-made guitar (which is older than I am I think) tuned to open G. It's a great tuning in which to wistfully improvise whilst sounding much better than you actually are. I'll show you guys how easy it is to sound cool on guitar in open G. That will be especially useful to you, Nick, as it's essentially the same as bluegrass banjo tuning. If you spend some time playing guitar out of open G you'll get a bit of a head-start for if/when you do get a banjo. Standard tuning is indispensable of course, as it allows for lots of different keys, but if your coming round my gaff be prepared to have me foist some alternative tuning stuff on you, I'm a bit of fanatic about it - something I inherited through my Dad via John Fahey, as well as directly from Fahey (via recordings and writings obviously).

'Morning is the end of idealism. [Skip] James has no guitar. Bill Barth goes to the car and gets his... Tuned in standard tuning. He does know standard a little. But not much.

Slowly, confidently, he changes the tuning. He's going back towards a - no, it can't be.

He's headed for open D minor. Primarily a theoretical tuning that no one in their right mind uses.

But there it is.

And he knows chord shapes in it too. Beautiful, terribly intense, hitherto-unknown chord positions. He sings and plays "Cherry Ball Blues," "Illinois Blues," and "Hard Time Killing Floor Blues." A few others.

James is a little rusty but that is all.

And he shows me how to make the chords. Great Sphinx chords. I could never have found them.

Then, abruptly, he shoves the guitar into me.

"Show me."

I have it all.'

- John Fahey, How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life. 2000.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's on. I guess I should pick up my guitar and try to reform something in the way of my missing callouses otherwise this is going to hurt.
  • Yeehaw, it's some Romanian Gypsy folk. It has violins and accordions but otherwise probably shouldn't be in this thread. Even so, these people play with such skill and joy that it makes me want to practice being a better human being as well as a better musician.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!