myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Got myself an IPS screen for the GBA and a pre cut shell to actually fit it the other day, it's lovely:

GBAIPS.jpg

Need to do some soldering this weekend to connect the brightness controls, and fit in the usb-c battery. 

I've just popped the screen in for this, it seems to be held into place by a bracket pretty well. Most videos show to stick it to the shell with double sided tape. Also means that I can easily put it into a new shell if this one gets bad with time, it has this weird soft finish that feels nice (bit like you'll find on remote controls) but I'm wondering if it'll wear down.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Very nice.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • That is lovely Nina, really nice colour. Great work and good luck with the soldering!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm not sold a 100% on the colour yet, my SP is the ice blue one, and my micro is purple, would have wanted to get something that would fit better with those, but they were not easily available with a pre cut shell and a usb-c cable battery cover. Ah well, might just get some orange joy con shells from aliexpress and bring more consistency in console colours that way. 

Was considering doing the audio mod as well (change speaker) but there's really no point in that, the default is loud enough if you really want the sound to come from the GBA, and otherwise you'd just plug in headphones. It's not really gonna sound any better than what was programmed / made for the games.

Still getting used to the screen, the pixels look different than on the DSLite I was playing on (IPS has a higher resolution) but it's not off or wrong aspect ratio or anything, so that's good. You can also see some weird blending in Harvest Moon at the bottom right with the little date / time screen, when walking from one area into the other you see some awkward colour changes as it loads the new area. Guess that just wasn't visible on other screens.

Definitely the most comfortable way to play between SP/Micro and DSLite (GBA Macro mod), really happy with that.
  • I was actually looking into these recently along with Game Boy Colour ones.

Then I wondered how long they would last with standard batteries and thought better of it. Can't imagine them lasting long with a screen of that quality.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nina wrote:
    Definitely the most comfortable way to play between SP/Micro and DSLite (GBA Macro mod), really happy with that.

Ergonomically speaking the OG GBA is by far Nintendo's best handheld.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Most of the GBA videos I saw did battery tests, but I forgot. I mainly want with the usb-c option as it seemed easy and means I could charge and play. It wasn't too expensive, it's just a battery pack and a little print board connected to that that fits in the battery slot.

Some people mighty prefer the ags-101 screen (backlit sp screen, but the later versions) and I think battery life is comparable to that. 101 is harder to get though, going up in price. The ips screen is really easy and this is version 2, so some screen tearing issues should be solved. I've only played Harvest Moon on it, so haven't tested it excessively.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Got myself an IPS screen for the GBA and a pre cut shell to actually fit it the other day, it's lovely:

That's a really good looking unit.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The mister is looking a bit special.  As well as some consoles it's now recreating the arcade board used by Cave for DoDonPachi without a hitch.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Latest PAL upgrade from SNES to SFC. In glorious condition. One of my favourite titles this.

Gktuhvu.jpg
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    ooooh!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Manual in great nick. There's even a little quick guide card.  Amazing how JP people look after their games.
  • That's lovely davy. Beautiful condition.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I grabbed that in 2019 in Tokyo. Upsets me that it doesn't have the name in English up the spine like all the rest do!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Still after SMW, YI, Pilotwings and F-Zero. Might stop at that. Not sure.  Maybe the DKC series as it's quite easy to get hold of.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have all of them, including DKC EXCEPT Pilotwings and now I'm off to ebay Japan.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just bought it for £11. Fuck this thread
  • What is this Aleste Compile/M2 thing I'm seeing plastered all over the web. I NEED it!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Just bought it for £11. Fuck this thread

:)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Enjoying trying a out a batch of GBA games @Moot_Geeza sold me. Using my much neglected GBA player on the Gamecube. I have an SP but I rarely touch that either.

I'll say one thing - Kururin on GBA is a lot tougher than the Gamecube version - it's toned down quite a bit on GC but it's different. So it's good to see it wasn't just a lift and shift.  The GBA games look great on the TV but it might be better experienced on the handheld. Will see.

HOTD Pinball is the gem I reckoned it was, as is G&W Gallery. And I like pit puzzles so Columns Crown pleases me too.

:)
  • Nice! I loved my GBA and regret selling my haul to get a PSP. I'll probably end up repurchasing at somepoint.

I splurged on an immaculate boxed NES yesterday that was on sale locally. Went round and he had an Atari Jaguar for sale too and impulsivey ended up picking that up too thinking I'd pick up Tempest 2000.

Would have been wise to check game pricing out first though most are £45 upwards.
  • Pinball of the Dead is well worth learning, hidden gem for sure.
  • Anyone here ever played Mega Man Legends/64?

I played the first hour yesterday. Its another classic 2D game that never made the transition to 3D particularly well, but like Castlevania on N64 which I completed recently, I'm finding myself intrigued and enjoying my time with it, despite it having aged quite a bit.

It plays like an old skool first person shooter but in a third person viewpoint. You move forward/back and turn with the D-Pad and use the shoulder buttons to strafe. Feels odd at first but I soon got used to it.

I got a couple of games on the go atm so I'm not gonna play any further yet. I basically booted it up to see if the ROM was worth keeping or deleting.

So does anyone here rate it?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Didn't even know it existed.
  • Same.

I never played any Megaman games back in the day but it's a series I've gravitated to over the last 5 years or so, mainly the original games on nes emu. Last week I downloaded some kind of new nes style fan game, which these posts have reminded me I should play.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Only one I played was on wiiware. Tough.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've been playing the new fan translation of Bahamut Lagoon for the SNES that came out the other day. The project was lead by the Higen guy and he's done a lot of work localising how the game renders English text and stuff for a polished localised version.

It's a bit like a Square-developed version of Fire Emblem except you have four characters to a moveable unit and then each unit has a CPU-controlled dragon that follows it around that autonomously attacks enemies and heals etc.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK wrote:
    Didn't even know it existed.
    nick_md wrote:
    Same.

I never played any Megaman games back in the day but it's a series I've gravitated to over the last 5 years or so, mainly the original games on nes emu. Last week I downloaded some kind of new nes style fan game, which these posts have reminded me I should play.

Legends came out for PS in 98, 64 was a barebones port of it that came out in the US in 2001 and never made it to PAL territories.

There was a prequel called The Misadventures of Tron Bonne and a sequel called Legends 2 that came out in the UK 2000 and 2001 respectively. Both were PS exclusives.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I've been playing the new fan translation of Bahamut Lagoon for the SNES that came out the other day.

This reminds me that I really need to get around the Goemon 2 translation on SNES, Legend of the Mystical Ninja was such a great game.

Still waiting on a translation of Goemon 3 unfortunately.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!