EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    ... the one I've bought has some additional features.

Go on.

* Save states
    * Cheat codes
    * Rumble
    * Ability to spoof a Nintendo DS rumble pack, Nintendo DS RAM expansion pack or as a genuine cart (which, for example, would let you transfer Pokémon from the GBA Pokémon games to the Nintendo DS games)
    * Supports the ROMs of those GBA video packs, which is a bit of a niche use case but IIRC is something the EverDrive can't do. Also, modded GBA ROMs hacked to support the rumble feature (although again, a bit of a niche use case so not many of those ROMs available).
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Flamin' 'eck, that does sound good.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's black magic I tell you.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • My brother bought a 'basic' EZ Flash Omega at the start of lockdown which I sorted out for him to use with my GBA and it's been flawless for him since - didn't realise there was a more advanced version available.

I'd started to play through a few oldies using Retroarch on my PS Vita but have to admit there's something nice about using the proper hardware for it.
  • I can take the rough with the smooth on emulation but the GBA library seems prone to quite poor results. It really is worth finding a native environment for them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I presume these gizmos would work with the GBA Player on Gamecube?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The cost of 256GB Micro SD cards annoys me. I may as well get one for my Mega SD and use the 64GB card that's currently in that in the GBA flash cart. I've been meaning to get one the entire time I've had the Mega SD to be honest, but I only really want to pay £25 max for a reputable one and they always seem upwards of £30. Petty I know, but I thought they'd eventually lower in price a bit and it's never happened.
  • davyK wrote:
    I presume these gizmos would work with the GBA Player on Gamecube?

I've noticed they dont seem to work with the Retron 5 which is a shame :(

I've just invested in one for the Atari Jaguar which now makes the whole library that much more accessible. Of course there's loads of chaff but Raiden, Tempest, Doom, Super Burnout and NBA Jam are really playable still.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice. Always fancied a Jag for original Tempest 2K. I have the Saturn port and the PS1 Tempest game but I've heard they just aren't as good. Heard the Raiden port is nice too but I have Raiden Project for J-PS1 now so one reason less to own one.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Nice. Always fancied a Jag for original Tempest 2K. I have the Saturn port and the PS1 Tempest game but I've heard they just aren't as good. Heard the Raiden port is nice too but I have Raiden Project for J-PS1 now so one reason less to own one.

"I have this game and these ports of it. I'd like to buy another machine to get another port. But this other game, I already have a copy of it, so I don't need ports of it."

Retro gamer logic at it's finest. :)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    The cost of 256GB Micro SD cards annoys me. I may as well get one for my Mega SD and use the 64GB card that's currently in that in the GBA flash cart. I've been meaning to get one the entire time I've had the Mega SD to be honest, but I only really want to pay £25 max for a reputable one and they always seem upwards of £30. Petty I know, but I thought they'd eventually lower in price a bit and it's never happened.

I went out drinking last night and when I got home I was like "Given I'm drunk I'm gonna take advantage of my reduced inhibitions to just buy the micro SD card I want without grousing about the price". So after years I finally fucking ordered one!
  • They'll be £23.99 in a month.
  • So I got my Super NT, its pretty spectacular and is just as good as all the YouTube videos say.

If its anything to go by I'd say anything else from Analogue is the real deal, quality stuff.

In other news I just preordered an N64Digital from 8Bit mods for £180. That's only for the chip itself, still need to pick up a second NTSC console and send it off to be soldered by a professional.

Confident I can sell my current RGB modded console and Super 64 HDMI adapter for a decent enough price to offset the cost enough to make the net outgoings reasonable.

So I got the N64 back modded up with the N64Digital.

kwmxsfN.jpeg
    U6uvsXK.jpeg

It's bloody glorious.

There's a wealth of options which can be access by pressing L, R, >C and right on the D-Pad.

You can even reset the system by pressing Z, A, B and Start which is brilliant, especially seeing as I have an Everdrive 64 X7.

The picture quality is pretty outstanding, much better than any other solution I've used for modern TVs.

I'd definitely recommend it, but it is only for real N64 enthusiast. The mod was £179.99 and installation was £92, so it's not cheap.

Really happy with it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    That seems like a good solution given an FPGA N64 clone doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh my. 

I'll still always want most of my physical J-N64 collection but this thing is simply wonderful.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Started Phantasy Star II earlier. I went for a ROM hack that does the same 4X multiplier for EXP and money gains from battle that subsequent non-localised re-releases (and Sega Ages Phantasy Star for Switch) have as an optional extra. I've only poked around a bit outside the starting town so far. It's... it's very dated, isn't it? Might have to keep chipping away at it - I do want to play it but can see it being a bit of a slog.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Had a go of Drill Dozer with the EZ-Flash Omega DE. I've never tried the original cart but the rumble seems decent, must be at least comparable to the original. Gotta get my money's worth out of these extra features, lulz.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Some of these gizmos you can get for your retro gaming joy these days still seem like voodoo to me.
  • Can I get a TL,DR on that Davy? I think I've got the gist but it's an awkward forum to view on my phone.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It seems the Cotton shmup pack for Switch uses a Saturn emulator. In theory you can drop other Saturn ROMs into it and they will run.  Someone got Saturn Bomberman running.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    there's a large list of games that they have got working...actually.

Baku Baku, Burning Rangers, Clockwork Knight etc
  • Turns out I didn't get the gist, didn't spot any mention of Switch. Amazing.
  • The 32-bit era is an odd one to revisit on the whole, but there are a dozen or so Saturn games I'd love to play through again.
  • Isn't the emulation on the Cotton shmup pack a lag filled mess?

It's interesting the emulator works for other games but I would be surprised if they run well.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Saturn still has a certain cachet even though many of its games are available now via other means.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Isn't the emulation on the Cotton shmup pack a lag filled mess? It's interesting the emulator works for other games but I would be surprised if they run well.

Yeah - the Cotton games are poorly done. Sounds pretty lazy - slapping the ROMs into a ported emulator. Explains a lot.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    So they've yoinked someone else's legit emulator for less-legit purposes?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Seems so. It's a real pity because the Cotton games cost a packet on Saturn.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!