Retro Gaming
  • My MD came with a Jpn converter Davy - just a cart that fits in the PAL slot that the Japanese cart sits in. Might be worth seeking one out if you'd rather not trim the slot.
  • Darius 2 came with my console actually - in Sagaia form (Genesis cart). One of my favourite scrolling shooters, the first stage music is superb.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I remember snipping the plastic off my megadrive cartridge slot in the 90s so Japanese carts would fit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - I'll just snip the slot. I'm not precious about that type of thing. It's keeping the games themselves in good condition that's more my thing.

My SNES slot is butchered too for US games. :)

Darius 2 is proving to be splendid. But it's shocking how much better the modern Darius remake looks and sounds compared to it...but then D2 isn't crashing. :)   Hard to believe it's the same console. But I suppose that having more ROM for graphics and sound isn't an issue nowadays.

I'm also surprised how much better it feels to play with the old MD joystick in all its spongy goodness. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Sacrilege!
    I still have a Pal to NTSC converter for my now very yellow SNES.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.

The US and JP N64 use the cart slot for region control. Apart from that the games are interchangable. I have a bridge for one of my JP N64s that deals with that but my RGB one has the slot doctored.
  • Yeah, SFC and NTSC SNES were the same. All really easy to do apart from the SFC.

MD is the same I believe, at least for early software. All you need is a bridge adapter, but I think they did start region locking them later into the systems life.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye most early MD games are region free. Even the later PAL ones that aren't usually just moan about the 60Hz setting which can be got around by booting at 50Hz and flicking to 60Hz. Some PAL SNES games are like that too.
  • SID chip best chip -

That is all I wanted to say.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Givin' me flashbacks.

maxresdefault.jpg
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Ignoring the beautiful Analogue, has anyone here forked out for a top tier retro handheld? I'm seriously tempted to treat myself.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I got a cheap one last year. And even on that, the screen was pretty nice. How high-end were you thinking? There's a new generation of Chinese stuff coming through but then there's also your stuff that verges on being a tiny laptop/Steam Deck etc.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Here are a couple of end-of-year best of year lists that sum up the state of the market right now Tiger.

There seems to be a bit of buzz around the Retroid Pocket 2+ at the minute.
  • Thanks.

I'm tempted by either the Retroid Pocket 2+ or the RG351MP. Think I may go for the Retroid. Think Saturn is the most powerful console I'm bothered about going to - I'm aware it's a bitch for emulation, of course.
  • fuck it's not even out yet
  • 'Super Poweres: 30 games that pushed the limits of the SNES' is a nice little spread in this month's Retro Gamer.
  • Ordered the RG351MP. I'm not a patient man.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    'Super Poweres: 30 games that pushed the limits of the SNES' is a nice little spread in this month's Retro Gamer.

Haven't read RG in an age - but that might tempt me to get it.

For sheer number of things going on I found Super Aleste and Super Smash TV really impressive. Not a hint of slowdown in either of them - though that could be the nostalgia talking.
  • I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    'Super Poweres: 30 games that pushed the limits of the SNES' is a nice little spread in this month's Retro Gamer.

Haven't read RG in an age - but that might tempt me to get it.

For sheer number of things going on I found Super Aleste and Super Smash TV really impressive. Not a hint of slowdown in either of them - though that could be the nostalgia talking.

Picked the magazine up. The nostlagia is strong with that SNES article. It has made me realise that SNES and 2600 hold my most beloved gaming memories. There was something about the excitement of a new game and playing with friends and family. May have been to do with my age too. SNES was the first console I bought with money I earned.  It has made me glad I have held onto my collection - those carts, boxes and manuals are 30 years old now. Wow.

Anyhow. It's a good list though I'd still argue SmashTV should be there even though there were a few issues with short bursts of graphical breakup in very busy sections. I was gobsmacked when I got to the pleasuredome and unlocked turbo mode....

Learned something about Pilotwings too. Knew nothing of the prototype Dragonfly game.  I had accessed all of the bonus games in the day - even the tricky hang-glider one. I have since upgraded my PAL copy to a US one though I'd like a CIB JP copy. Need to go back and replay it now.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES. Wow.  :)  I fancy picking that up.
  • Retroking had that, it clearly had to be squashed and squeezed to run but it's got to be up there with the most impressive ports ever.

Edit: Alpha 2 SNES
  • Super ports:

Alpha 2 SNES
    DOOM SNES
    Virtua Fighter 2 Saturn
    Sega Rally Saturn
    Ori & the Will of the Wisps Switch

Duff ports

DOOM Saturn
    House of the Dead Saturn
    Sonic the Hedgehog GBA
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saturn ports were spellbinding for a year or 2. Virtua Cop 1 & 2 were great. 

VF2,Rally, VC1&2 all ran full screen (or damn close) and proper speed in PAL. Rally has small borders but I can't discern a speed difference between PAL and JP version. The controls in PAL may even feel slightly smoother. No driving game has used a dpad better. Sorcery.

If you allow for the 4MB cart, the Capcom vs fighters on Saturn are astounding too.

After playing Parodius on Saturn I realised just how good the SNES port of that was. Some slowdown in places but in terms of sights and sounds it's quite amazing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just played some Smash TV on SNES there. It's better than I remember if anything. I would have been playing it bordered when I first got it. On my modded SNES it runs full screen and probably gets a bit of a speed boost too. Graphically it is rock solid and hurls loads of sprites and bullets around the screen without a hiccup. It overloads the sound channels at times but it adds to the sense of chaos.

It's missing some of the effects of the original arcade game and I guess the sprites are a bit smaller but it's a hell of a job and the SNES controller is a great match. A lot tougher than I remember too.

Marvellous port.
  • Best 16-bit twinstick shooter ever. Not that there were many to begin with.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Duff ports DOOM Saturn

I thought Doom was meant to be a bit of a marvel? Or am I thinking of the 32X port?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Neither of those was hotstuff really. 32X version was smooth at least. SNES version is the mst impressive considering the hardware. It's been ages since I've played the GBA port but I remember that being decent too.
  • You might be thinking of Quake, the Saturn version of that was a bit of a marvel.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Wasn't there a decent homebrew tart-up of the 32X port recently? Also, there was an FPGA-driven port for the EverDrive Pro for the MD. Could be thinking of one of those?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Duff ports DOOM Saturn
    I thought Doom was meant to be a bit of a marvel? Or am I thinking of the 32X port?

Saturn Doom is a bit of a rabbit hole. There was a brilliant version of it better then the PS1 port. Was more or less the full PC version. It was given the boot by Carmack because of some graphical effect he didn't like. He later admitted he shouldn't have rejected it.  The result was the crippled port that the Saturn got.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!