Retro Gaming
  • Postal getting a homebrew DC port:
    https://www.wavegamestudios.com/news/postal-is-coming-to-dreamcast-on-june-2nd

I never played it (was it PC only?) but remember the controversy it caused at the time!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    As far as I can tell, those are normal NGPCs in the video. I noticed the screens, too. A mod?

Possibly. I remember thinking it was a really nice handheld but the lack of a backlit screen put me off.  So collectable with the little clam shell cases for the games - used to turn them over in my hands in the shop lovingly.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Postal getting a homebrew DC port: https://www.wavegamestudios.com/news/postal-is-coming-to-dreamcast-on-june-2nd I never played it (was it PC only?) but remember the controversy it caused at the time!

Yeah - think it was a PC only game.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Possibly. I remember thinking it was a really nice handheld but the lack of a backlit screen put me off.  So collectable with the little clam shell cases for the games - used to turn them over in my hands in the shop lovingly.  :)

Yeah, the screen was an issue. I loved mine, and persuaded a few of my mates it was going to beat the GameBoy Color and they bought one. I wasn't super popular after that. ;)

Talking about the cases, they are nice. One of the few systems were the non-Japanese games are worth more, because in their native land they had cardboard boxes. I've been attempting to collect them all for a while, as there's only 40 ish. I recently picked up Shanghai Mini in Taipei.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I've been playing Phantasy Star on Switch and thought about playing through all four games. After some research I found that the Sega Ages Phantasy Star Complete Collection on PS2 by M2 has all four games in English too with QoL improvements like easier difficulty levels and faster walking speeds. Physical version is about £100 but it's available on PSN in Japan for ~830 yen so I finally made a Japanese account on my PS3 and bought it.

The selection is amazing there and also bought Donpachi, Dodonpachi, Harmful Park and Adventures of Little Ralph for ~600 yen each. The latter two go for 100x more on physical so it's nice to get them cheaply from there. Still have some credits left too from the 5000 yen card I bought. :)
  • I think one or two (or three) Phantasy Star games are on the last gen Megadrive collection. I've seen that as low as £7.49 in digital sales (actually £12 might be the cheapest it's been on Switch). They have a fast forward option and some display settings to tinker with.
  • Although I've just spotted that you've already bought the M2 pack so maybe I should delete that post.

edit: oh right, 830 yen. I really should read things properly before posting.
  • This month's Retro Gamer has a decent article on the making of Earthworm Jim. The extra MD stage was bodged together in about 48hrs apparently.
  • I have them on the PS4 collection but apparently the grinding needed on original PSII is ridiculous and can't really be arsed with that. You can make the experience and money gained either 2x or 4x on the M2 collection which is the main selling point of that collection for me.
  • It can be a tough genre to revisit. I tried to give Sword of Vermillion another bash a few years ago and it was astonishing how unkind time had been to it (especially the side-on boss fights). Loved it at the time though.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It can be a tough genre to revisit.

I was thinking the same thing about point and click adventures, funnily enough. 

Last week I had a bash at Broken Sword 5 because it’s free on Games with Gold. Time has not been kind to that genre at all. In this day and age waving your cursor around the screen looking for hotspots to interact with just doesn’t feel like enough.
  • I played Procession to the Calvary recently and there was a definite how the fuck am I supposed to know that you have to revisit that area? moment, but of course that was sort of the point - you weren't supposed to know at all; in those games you often had to narrow everything down after bumbling around all available areas for a bit. So in that respect Calvary was a perfect homage really.

I wonder how much I'd love Monkey Island if I played it for the first time today, for example. On the flipside games like that can be ruined by poorly implemented hint prompts, so it's a tough one to drag into modern times. Having said that it's one of the most popular genres on the digital stores, bizarrely (at least in terms of how often a new one appears) - so many point & clicks you've never heard of. Surely some of them must be good.
  • On the one hand, I think point and click might be a great genre for touchscreens. On the other hand, I think it might just be case of prodding all over the screen until something works.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Saturn games that came on cart and CD. And when I say "cart and CD", emphasis on the and; you needed both or the game wouldn't run.

Seems like devs thought it was a bad idea, because only two games used the solution.

https://segaretro.org/Twin_Advanced_ROM_System
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • King of Fighters was like that. I think it was the lack of RAM?

Edit: oh right, ROM. But before the RAM cart was a thing. Interesting. I had that KoF. Love that game.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah. It was a pre-RAM pack solution to the slowness of CDs. The frequently loaded data would be on the cart, and the bigger/less often needed stuff on the CD. I bet that was a ball ache to program.

If you had KoF 95, you had the only game in the UK that used the Twin ROM system.
  • So partly because of the Retro Gamer article, partly because I fancied it and partly because I wanted to see how wrong I was a few weeks ago, I'm replaying Earthworm Jim rn. Opted for the SNES version as I'd never played it.

I still love it, but anyone who thinks this still stands up in its own right is smoking pure rose tinted crack. Some of the design is terrible.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    My fully functional Evercade replacement has turned up, and nicely they upgraded me from a standard to a deluxe edition, so I've got three rather than one cart. Coincidentally, that means I've also been playing a bit of Earthworm Jim for the first time.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    So partly because of the Retro Gamer article, partly because I fancied it and partly because I wanted to see how wrong I was a few weeks ago, I'm replaying Earthworm Jim rn. Opted for the SNES version as I'd never played it. I still love it, but anyone who thinks this still stands up in its own right is smoking pure rose tinted crack. Some of the design is terrible.

Gonna add this to the list of games I don't play atm but want to. I'm 100% confident you're wrong.
  • I bet you a curry I'm not. Be honest though.
  • EWJ finished. I'm right about this you know (unless the SNES version whiffed). Memories not ruined but lol at the last few stages.
  • I switched versions and I've cleared the junk yard, this feels much more at home on the Megadrive? As a kid I always claimed this was the case but I'd never played the SNES version so I was chatting bare breeze. There seems more room to avoid things for a start, and a more responsive whip, which makes a big difference.

Or maybe it's just because I know what I'm doing now that it seems more playable.
  • Never been a fan of EWJ tbh, one where I just didn't get the hype.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Okay so this still has the same slapdash design issues muddying the waters (hello enemies that swoop in from just off screen) but it definitely feels better to play on MD. Maybe it's an emulator issue. More than anything else I think it just helps that the Jim sprite doesn't take up 20% of the screen here*. Gonna have to finish this one now, was planning to start Returnal properly today.

*double check needed, will check side to side shots.
  • MD has a higher resolution than SNES, so for 3rd party games where the MD was the lead platform the SNES image is cropped and stretched, resulting in a smaller playing field.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Last level of EWJ where you're button-mashing the helicopter move down a never-ending, twisty-turny pit full of spikes is 16-bit poison.
  • MD has a higher resolution than SNES, so for 3rd party games where the MD was the lead platform the SNES image is cropped and stretched, resulting in a smaller playing field.

This. Also, often MD ports feel slightly more responsive than snes versions probably due to the faster cpu (blast processing lol) despite having fewer colors and lower quality sound/voices.

Also, the md was the lead platform for many games running the EWJ  engine (cool spot/disney games etc) so it's not surprising many people prefer those versions when comparing side by side.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • monkey wrote:
    Last level of EWJ where you're button-mashing the helicopter move down a never-ending, twisty-turny pit full of spikes is 16-bit poison.

This. Bouncing helplessly from one spike to another while your energy bar runs down.

DKC2 it is not.

• Also it has to be the fastest slowed descent in any platformer ever. You rocket down the screen even with the worm propeller.
  • Just preordered that Amiga Mini.
    Pure nostalgia over powering logic.

Gonna have to hack it though as it doesn't look like Lemmings is included.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!