Currently Playing
  • Gone back to The Last Stop, polishing off the last story from the second chapters. Such an absolutely bizarre game, I'm half convinced I prefer Virginia. Long shot but I reckon @regmcfly might enjoy the absolute bonkersness of it (think a Man of Medan style interactive experience, but a wonky slice of life sci fi tale with intertwining narratives and dialogue choices that don't seem to matter). Quality control is set to total random, definitely having fun.
  • I really quite liked it but yeah, the quality and tone are all over the shop.  I like that it exists though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bizarrely (if you ignore the fact that moot and I are psychic twins) I also restarted this earlier. Though I've only just got through the prologue...
  • I've moved on to Unsighted now, which I mistook for a roguelike for some reason. Quality little game, movement and combat are good.
  • I’ve been quite enjoying Forgone on your rec but to suggest it’s close to Dead Cells is kinda unfathomable to me.
  • Close as in similar to play or in terms of quality? It's a much simpler game for sure but I thought it felt and certainly looked very DCish.
  • Stylistically they appear similar but quality and play wise they seem quite a way apart.  I’m enjoying it quite a bit but it’s very simple when compared to DC.
  • Solid simplicity goes a long way for me, I can't deny it. Foregone has quality though, it's just happy to be the Johnny Evans of platform action games while DC has aspirations for the balon d'or.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Thought I'd try biomutant cos it's got a free weekend and yeah it looks pretty nice but didn't write seen there gameplay wise. Not enough heft to the combat, not enough conviction in the world, annoying constant interrupts of yet more minor/tedious elements, or insubstantial story developments...
  • Went back to Wolfenstein 2 yesterday and today (Xbox this time). Had it on PS4 a couple of years ago, didn't play much before I got rid of it but still found myself fighting deja vu for nearly two hours. Even checked Youtube to see if some of the stages were similar to what I played of Metro Exodus, because I couldn't work out how the fuck I half remembered everything but none of the cut scenes. The penny eventually dropped - I let a mate play it for a few hours once while I was half watching and he never bothers with story sections in games. Exciting mystery solved!

Still don't love the gunplay but the cut scenes are very well done. Starting to enjoy it a bit more now I've dropped the difficulty down to baby mode.
  • Bought dice legacy, because I'm a fiend for mouse only games at the moment.

Seems like something. But early days. Mixed reviews on steam.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Thought I'd try biomutant cos it's got a free weekend and yeah it looks pretty nice but didn't write seen there gameplay wise. Not enough heft to the combat, not enough conviction in the world, annoying constant interrupts of yet more minor/tedious elements, or insubstantial story developments...
    It's shite. Don't waste time on it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well I started superliminal and I'm not sure my brain can cope
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Ha yeah. I've not been back since a brief first go
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Got round to Chicory finally and it really is rather good. Started off thinking I couldn't be bothered with it and before long I was colouring in the scenery of each screen in different schemes. Some simple but neat puzzley dungeons too.
  • Gotta get that. 

Started Bonfire Peaks tonight. Controls are fiddly but it’s ok so far.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Just like the reviews said, Inscryption is absolutely brilliant. Only been an hour and it's thrown a bunch of interesting ideas at me.
  • So I thought I posted this yesterday, but maybe I was dreaming, or maybe I put it in a different thread.

Anyhoo, nabbed a few things recently on special.

Dice Legacy. It has mixed reviews on steam, and I can probably see why, but man, hammered it for a whole evening last night and slept too late because of it.

Nifty little conceit. It's civ lite on a ring world. Camera sits inside the ring looking down and forward as you progress further around.

This means that traversing the map is all mouse wheel back and forward. Neat and tidy.

You have literal dice as your classes and you have to role them to land the right icon for the particular thing you need to do, build, different work, class specific stuff etc.

So the first Marmite moment is that the RNG is just slapping its dick on the table in front of you.

The other stuff that's tricky to review/feel about is overall pacing and moment to moment play.

I'll be fucked if I can see how you would play this real time without freaking out.

I am firmly: pause, roll dice, place dice, 4x speed until timers go again. Pause, repeat.

Its real spinning plates stuff, and that doesn't really change.

There's some qol stuff around controls that I feel like might be solved if I was kb and mousing and not just mousing.

Overall pacing, the start is a bit of a baptism of fire, then you get a rhythm, and a fair chunk of the way in I thought man I'm really in, but now I'm at the final third it seems and I feel like there's another jump in difficulty and or I might need to really grind some tech and it feels a bit of a slog.

And yet. Music is lovely, graphics are lovely. It's an original take on things. There's half a story hidden in there and really subtly told.

And I played it for 5 hours straight last night.

If there's a demo or you see it cheap and a civ style thing, but a bit different is maybe your bag, give it a shot.

As far as the buildings/tech/classes stuff goes, I'd say it sits 75% pc civ and 25% civ rev in complexity.

Baring in mind all of the above is with the default first character, and first default scenario, it appears theres 5 other characters and a bunch of scenarios.

• Also nabbed banners of ruin on rec of Some_guy. Party based sts basically. Seems very good quality so far.

Lots of depth and real care with visuals in a less than a gig package.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Gotta get that. 

Started Bonfire Peaks tonight. Controls are fiddly but it’s ok so far.

This... doesn't seem like your kind of game?
  • Already works better than A Monster’s Expedition, if you’re referring to my thoughts on that. Maybe it’s because this works in 3-dimensions so you already have more variety in puzzles. Will reserve judgement.
  • Anyone here play the Pokémon Trading Card Game?

Since my kids have shown an interest in Pokémon I've got back into it in a big way. The boys and I play several times a week and we've built quite a few decent working decks.

I went to visit my brother last week and my nephew asked me to bring our collection to compare to his.

He pulled out a premade deck and about 80 spare cards.

I pulled out 5 large boxes full of cards.
    I'm getting a bit obsessed
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Superliminal isn’t particularly clever and is often let down by either the engine not working properly or you having to be in exactly the right place to get the sizing to work. One particular bit I just totally brute forced too. It’s a missed opportunity for me.
  • JonB wrote:
    Got round to Chicory finally and it really is rather good. Started off thinking I couldn't be bothered with it and before long I was colouring in the scenery of each screen in different schemes. Some simple but neat puzzley dungeons too.

I want to love Chicory but I just don’t ever seem to be able to fully get into it. It should be my kind of game but I always seem to be wondering how long it will be until it gets going.
  • I think I was fine after about 20 minutes, once I got through all the initial chat.

Having played more of it now, I do think it dwells a bit too much on its character encounters. The exploration and 'dungeon' bits are nicely put together and the painting powers are put to good use in solving puzzles. In between though it over-eggs the wholesome, charming, quirky vibe for me. On a few occasions now I've felt myself getting a little bored just before the next good bit comes along.

But I think it's well worth it anyway. It's got plenty of imagination, and a fine soundtrack (by Lena Raine, who also did Celeste).
  • JonB wrote:
    …and a fine soundtrack (by Lena Raine, who also did Celeste).

SOLD! Celeste soundtrack was brilliant.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I'm flying somewhat (partly as I bounce between consoles & PC), but I had a good sesh on Blasphemous and (third time lucky...) finally have a bit of traction with it. So maybe I'll see it though. Not a fan of the aesthetic at all, and the lore stuff I cba with either really, but the adventuring is proving just about enough. Still funding my feet a little with combat / enemies, but some bosses down etc so I guess I'm vaguely getting there...
  • The aesthetic tops the tiers for me. Stunning game. Solid & rewarding gameplay but it was the world/progression design that won me over.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmmm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!