Creating a website
  • Mod74 wrote:
    From the list on https://drupal.org/project/WYSIWYG

Editors: CKEditor, FCKeditor, jWysiwyg, markItUp, NicEdit, openWYSIWYG, TinyMCE, Whizzywig, WYMeditor, YUI editor.

Dunno if any of those are worth looking into.

Thanks, but the project's built with Symfony so, unless somebody comes out with something else saying it's the best thing ever, I'll be sticking with MCE or CKE since the integration's already done.

Still waiting for Drupal 8 before I think about using it regularly.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Looking at the road map Drupal 8 is lurching toward beta quite soon. ish.

I don't think you'll be able to jump on it straight away though. Depends what you're using it for I guess. I still come across handy modules that haven't been updated from 6. And never will be. I guess if you're rolling your own that's less of an issue. The list of stuff that's gone from module to core sounds a godsend, even if it's something of a departure from the current philosophy.
  • Ha! "Quite soon," that sounds familiar.

I had the same experience when I had a play with v7 a short time ago, loads of the modules I wanted to use hadn't been updated for it. That contributed a lot to my decision not to use it unless necessary.

Since Drupal 8 is based on Symfony, I'm assuming it'll be relatively straight-forward to convert existing bundles to modules - hopefully little more than writing a wrapper and a couple of views - so that should cover a lot of stuff. Otherwise, yeah, I'll just roll my own.
  • Sent a promo mailshot today. It's worryingly exciting watching the real-time bit on Google Analytics ticking away at low numbers when it's been static almost every time you've looked before.
  • Ha. Gotta laugh at the number of people who are (presumably) seeing the email then typing the URL into Google to get there.

Oh my god! There's a little map showing flashes in different locations as people load pages!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I've moved into a new office and had a right arse getting Google Places to accept the updated address. Time and time again it refused to do it. It's a new building but there's still an entry for the main building.

So in desperation I added myself on Google mapmaker, left it a few days, they accept the Maps edit and I log in to Places today and find they've magically updated the Places listing to the right address based on -and I quote- "their information". Your information sucks. You updated based on my information. Cocks.
  • Ah, but your information is their information. Says so in the Ts&Cs.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Ah, but your information is their information. Says so in the Ts&Cs.

And now I have this song in my head...

ARGH!
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I thought someone mentioned it in here, or maybe another thread, but it was a link to a site that does sorta templates to make your own portfolio type site, subscription based I think.

A bit like Cargo, but not Cargo.

Any ideas?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    SquareSpace?
  • Think that might be the one, thanks.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Ok... Here's an interesting one.

Say if I have a paged list of items (an email inbox being the most common example), I select all the spam on page one, go to page two, and then select all the spam on page two.

When I go back to page one, should I still see all the spam I've selected on that page?

And if my selection has been preserved, when I click "delete selected", will it delete all the items I've selected on page one, or all the items I've selected across both page one, and page two?
  • Depends entirely on the particular system in question. I'd guess that for the majority the answer would be no to your first question. Second question can't really be given a meaningful answer.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I don't think you can maintain selections just in the browser. Yahoo gets round this by having one long page. Outlook does it by flagging each selected mail on the server. Not sure what Gmail does. Either way it's a pretty sophisticated thing to do. Unlikely you'd see out outside of a major provider.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Depends entirely on the particular system in question. I'd guess that for the majority the answer would be no to your first question. Second question can't really be given a meaningful answer.

Me? 

I'd reset the selection from page to page. 

If you want to delete everything, there should be a separate button. 

For anything fancier than that, you should have a text filter, which will first narrow down your selection to a narrow specie, and then page and effect all actions on that subset (on a page by page basis). When filtering stuff (search == "spam"), "delete everything" should delete all "spam".

Any time you use the "delete everything" button, it should give you a warning of some kind, and tell you if you're deleting a (filtered) subset of items, or everything in an unfiltered set.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The problem with the above in my instance, is that we won't be able to provide a filter.

Mod74 wrote:
    I don't think you can maintain selections just in the browser. Yahoo gets round this by having one long page. Outlook does it by flagging each selected mail on the server. Not sure what Gmail does. Either way it's a pretty sophisticated thing to do. Unlikely you'd see out outside of a major provider.

I think what I just wrote above is closest to Gmail in function, but Gmail maintains your selection across pages.

You can't, however, perform actions across pages.
  • I'd probably go for a "x other messages selected" message if doing the selecting across pages thing.

It's not that hard, Mod, you'd just stick them into a cookie or one of the local storage options. Hell, if your page is all AJAXy, you could just keep all the rows that are selected in the DOM when you go to a new page and hide them.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, I didn't mean sophisticated sophisticated, just sophisticated.
  • Heh, I guess it's kinda relative. ;)
  • Not a website, per se, but what is the best way of putting together animated slide shows?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
  • Looks like the exact thing I was looking for, thanks Mod.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Prezi is pretty good. Can be quite involving to produce really good stuff, take a look at some of the good examples and you'll see how amazing some of the Prezi designers are.

As for the selection thing it does depend on what you are trying to achieve.

You could post back to the DB with each click via Ajax, though that could be server intensive if you have a lot of concurrent connections. Local storage or a cookie would be simpler to store those selections. If you're feeling adventurous you could look at node.js as an interim solution for using JS for some of your server interaction as it is supposed to be great at handling lots of connections with minimal server overhead.
  • When you want to create a design for a website to submit for development is there a preferred format? Can it be a written brief or should i knock up a mock design in word/paint etc? How do I show what should link to what etc?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Depends on who's doing it for you and stuff. Best to ask your developer.
  • mk64 wrote:
    When you want to create a design for a website to submit for development is there a preferred format? Can it be a written brief or should i knock up a mock design in word/paint etc? How do I show what should link to what etc?

If you have a designer lined up, just chuck him some notes and and logos/pics you have, along with links to sites you like the style of. Then leave him to cook you something up. Trust the experts. If you have to ask the question of a preferred format for submission, it's probably best not to attempt it.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • but i should have a brief no?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Just type out what you need, ideas, pages, what you want to accomplish, target demographic, any colours/themes you're dead-set on (or like) etc. The more detail you provide, the better job your designer can do. But never lead them with mock-ups etc. They're the experts, just chuck info their way and see what they come up with. You'll be pleasantly surprised and maybe even led in a direction you hadn't considered. Creating mock-ups colours and taints your vision before the designer has put (digital) pen to (digital) paper.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You can make and share wireframes online for free here

http://www.mockflow.com/

or here

https://www.draw.io/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!