Science, it definitely still works bitches.
  • SpaceX is very totally him. He hires very good people admittedly.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Musk's giant penis explodes after launch
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Bloody good effort though. I like when they all cheered after it blew up.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    A success was clearing the tower, without blowing it up and all the other stuff on the ground, everything else was a bonus.

Iteration is SpaceX’s motto, just need to watch their many landing fails with Falcon, those land routinely now.
    Things can only get better.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Mate if mine moves to Texas so got to watch it from across the bay. Five miles away, but apparently "quite noisy".

What's its carbon footprint?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    What's its carbon footprint?

It's scattered bits of carbon over a 200 mile radius.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    No clue on carbon footprint, but it’s no where near zero! Does use a cleaner fuel compared to Falcon, but probably not with this test flight, several of its 33 rocket engines looked like they were melting, adding to the exhaust.
    Things can only get better.
  • I'm going to take a punt that carbon per second is outrageous but in the grand scheme of things SpaceX launch carbon per year is a long way down the list.
  • It's liquid oxygen and methane, with the methane being approx 1000 tonnes.

I don't think anyone is pretending that rockets are going to be carbon neutral though.
  • Well you can't make an omelette without exploding a few rockets. The raptor engines are the most efficient ever built, however.
  • Correct. Almost 100% conversion to thermal energy of all that fuel.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • It wasn't an explosion, it was a "rapid uncontrolled disassembly"
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • @Vela

Well at least it turns into CO2, unlike so many cows. The space push is worth it and being so elitist, it's such a fraction. It's like when Americans complain about the NASA tax budget. It's a nonsense. You are for space exploration I take it?
  • I'm against Elon Musk and anything that stokes his ego. For someone who claims to be self built he sure has taken a lot of tax dollars to support his ventures.

FWIW I'm also aware of basic chemistry and that the regular NASA rocket launchers predominantly burn liquid oxygen which produces water vapour.

I don't care about space X activities so I don't give a flying (or spiralling out of control) fuck about what they used in this rocket. My comment was purely about the efficiency of the fuel burn, whatever the fuel was.

I'm all for space exploration, but not space exploitation by abusive billionaires, corporations or military.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • space X is going to make a LOT of money, orders of magnitude more than Tesla or anything else he does. He will be the first trillionaire if he lives long enough for SpaceX to really, ahem, take off

I'm talking total global satellite coverage of high speed mobile internet; ownership of a fleet of unique, re-usable boosters and space carriers to take whatever you need to space (satellites, weapons, space station bits, whatever); control over various refuelling / mid-way / supply chain / research / military space stations.

The first thing to get to proper orbital control is re-usable rockets and he's fucking close. He's a very dangerous man
  • If he gave it all up and let spaceX be answerable, in at least high level way, to something like the UN then he's a hero (but of course, that would gum things up so much nothing would ever, ahem, get off the ground in the first place
  • Asteroid mining will be the big ticket.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    space X is going to make a LOT of money, orders of magnitude more than Tesla or anything else he does. He will be the first trillionaire if he lives long enough for SpaceX to really, ahem, take off

I'm talking total global satellite coverage of high speed mobile internet; ownership of a fleet of unique, re-usable boosters and space carriers to take whatever you need to space (satellites, weapons, space station bits, whatever); control over various refuelling / mid-way / supply chain / research / military space stations.

The first thing to get to proper orbital control is re-usable rockets and he's fucking close. He's a very dangerous man

The GAP books by Donaldson literally predict this and show a future controlled by one company, paying lip-service to a future UN that have zero real power, all dominated by a single, less-than-nice, man. Great bit of sci-fi.
  • I love those books.  Quite something to find you actually feel sorry for Angus as the series progresses.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oof. Not sure I’d go as far as that but I can appreciate his pain. Have read them three times now and what strikes me is the resilience of Morn, and special mention to Hashi who is such a great character. Fuck. Want to read em again now.
  • I mean he's awful, but he's still recognisably a human.
  • Must be almost twenty years since I read them.  I'm going to read them again too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    I'm all for space exploration, but not space exploitation by abusive billionaires, corporations or military.

Sadly, that doesn't leave a lot of options. Though isn't the SpaceX stuff all under a NASA contract? They provide the infrastructure. The assembly facilities , pads, deep space network, control centres etc. Corps have always built the assets though they haven't been so front and centre before.

I mean...who built the craft that landed on the Moon? Anyone?

A company called Grumman.

I'm not sure anyone, even Musk or Bezos have the means to independantly get anything of consequence into space on their own ticket. So that does build in some safety.

But exploitation is a risk. I believe Musk would like to build an off world data backup facility on the Moon.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It's going to involve lots of partnerships. Musk doesn't hide what he does it how he does it so there will be copies from other nations. He's always said you shouldn't hide behind patents. I'm very pleased with it all tbh. Like electric cars he's kick-started the real momentum. What he's done with SpaceX is amazing but there's no way it's going to be a monopoly. That's like saying Henry Ford had a monopoly with cheap cars.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That is great.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!