Edge 258
  • I don't like it for the relevance, just think it looks great. Halo for example has plenty of relevance (one of my most played series), but looks standard fare. 

Went to 2 Smiths' in way home. One had a few Ridge Racer issues, the other had just one Deus Ex version. Bah. Will try the 3rd Smiths local to work tomorrow and see if they have one with a nice cover.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Just got back from Kingston where I got a nice shiny Zelda cover by Wil Overton. I am pleased.
  • Checked the last Smiths in my work area, ended up with Halo. Better than the Deus Ex and Ridge Racer covers, I guess. Would've liked FFVII or Zelda.
  • I'll keep an eye out for any that people are looking for when I go visit wherever tonight
  • A guy at work got the Shenmue cover, I offered to swap it with mine so i could pass it on to someone but he just mumbled something about a sellers market the goit
  • prick

stab him

standard
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Rip one of the pages out when he's not looking.
  • Yeah, the cover!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Run him over with a forklift.
  • i endorse all of these actions
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Give him a cuddle and tell him no hard feelings.
  • Make him a nice cup of coffee, taking care to only spill a little as you carry it to his desk, and pop it down on the first flat surface that catches your eye.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    His crotch.
  • Home from work. Edge is here. The shitty shitest of covers - Minecraft shite. Damm. Hop to the newsagent this weekend it is then.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Resi 4 ain't no ten. This wouldn't have happened in the old days. Oh, that's right, it didn't.

Hands down deserves an 11.
  • His head?
    Yossarian wrote:
    His crotch.
    His copy of Edge, but the others would do.

When my dad was about the age I am now, he once fell asleep in his armchair holding a cup of tea, and spilled it, still hot, all over his crotch.  Around the same time he also sat on the top of his step ladder, and didn't realise he'd spilled paint stripper on the top until it soaked through his trousers.  He also jumped down off a chair and landed on a triangular scraper which penetrated the sole of his trainer and, by a good centimetre, the sole of his foot.  It's weird to me that here I am, a year younger than when he did these things, and I can remember them clearly.

Multi-segway bonus round.
  • My favourite console of all time is the time I consoled my Uncle after he had his nose amputated.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How did he smell?
  • Like old spice?
  • Lol. I got the Red Dead cover, willing to swap...
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I don't hate Edge, but this is mental.

An Edge [10], like it or not, has a certain status.  Even people who find Edge pretentious and arrogant hold the allocation of a [10] in some regard.  The way you sustain that regard is not, in any way, shape, or form, by taking a selection of games which were not awarded it for good reason, and dish out the [10]s for the sake of an anniversary feature that nobody is that fussed about.  What would have been a braver, and arguably more worthwhile feature, would have been to take these games and reinforce why they didn't quite make it.  That's how you keep the Edge [10] status; highlight why it's so very rare.

I don't mean this as hyperbole, but this feature devalues the score they are dishing out to these games, and pisses all over their integrity.

100% this. This is what I was getting at on the previous page, but forgot to make my actual point. It has a knock-on effect on their lower scores too (not just this article, but the gradual devaluation of the 10). I don't know what an Edge [7] means any more. I've recently realised I don't trust Edge's reviews more than the competition, which is the first time in over twenty years that I haven't had a go-to publication I rely on above the others. That's not to say they're generally bad, they've just lost that edge (no pun intended - Ed hahalol. But seriously - no pun intended). I just look at the full pages of Metacritic scores now and form a general idea based on the few sources that are half decent.
  • Yes, but what are "a few sources that are half decent"? That's an honest question because I don't read, or trust to an extent, anything but Edge. Folks on here seem to like Eurogamer, too. Are they decent? If you even suggest GamesTM, though, I'll completely ignore your post.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Gamesradar. Haha, no.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    For reviews I only really consider Edge and Eurogamer. Both do fun features too. There's a couple of guys at Destructoid and Giant Bomb that I like although their writing style is a lot more rough n ready and not as clever. For my money, Edge should be buying up Chris Schilling as he is head and shoulders above any other writer out there in my opinion, and apparently he has nigh-Killingsworth levels of skill.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ellie Gibson is also an absolute force, her reviews are insanely cutting. She has gone more part time now she's a mum, but I always anticipate one of her reviews with glee. Can't remember what it was but she tore apart a particularly misogynistic film earlier this year (and also did a good Tomb Raider review)
  • Ellie Gibson gets on my nerves now to be honest. She's completely negative about everything. I don't think I can recall a single positive comment she's made about anything. It's probably this very reason that she's wheeled out to review the detritus that no-one else wants to review.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Edge, Eurogamer, maybe Game Informer (don't shoot me if they're the bastion of shite).  To be honest I don't read GamesTM, but can't recall many of their reviews being wildly off the mark, so they make up the numbers too.  If I fancy a new game, I'll look at a few scores and probably read the Edge review plus one other, but the last new game I bought, excluding Mario Bros with my Wii U, was Far Cry 3, which I played for two hours and sold.  I've borrowed a few new/newish games recently on recommendations from the lender, or opinions gathered from here, which usually goes pretty well.  Bioshock Infinite - didn't click with.  Tomb Raider - loved.  The Last of Us - enjoying it so far.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Ellie Gibson gets on my nerves now to be honest. She's completely negative about everything. I don't think I can recall a single positive comment she's made about anything. It's probably this very reason that she's wheeled out to review the detritus that no-one else wants to review.

You should read her defence of Just Dance or Fruit Mystery.
  • I enjoy Matt Lees video reviews of things as he is pretty hilarious and usually makes some pertinent points that I've missed. I'm currently working through the Pants Man streams of him playing through Dark Souls for Videogamer.com and having a great time time playing alongside them.

Edge can fuck off basically, I've literally no interest in anything they write or score at this point. It's time to drop the anonymity from their reviews as I'd like to know who's opinion I'm reading so I can decide how much weight I'm going to give it based on the stuff I know they're into.

I do tend to look at reviews after I buy games though. I'm a 27 year old man, I know what I like and I'm deep enough into the the industry culture that I hear/see if something is shite or good months before it's out so don't need to rely on reviews.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!