It's the things from your childhood thread
  • I never really knew what was going on with this one, but I watched it anyway:

• Ulysses always makes.me think of Interstella 5555.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    H. R. PUFNSTUF, davyK you ledge'.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • AJ wrote:
    I can see all the videos properly, Andy, not my fault you've got a shit phone.
    iPad.  I'm clearly going to have to read this thread on my computer.  It mostly looks like this:

ddqi.png
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Ah, the TV from your childhood thread. So good it's worth having two tabs for it. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Only Lego mattered, matters, will matter.
  • I've never seen that advert before, I like it :)
  • Will Quack Quack.
    Finger Mouse.
    Button Moon.

And some cartoon set inside someone's body where all the cells were little people etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    There were all sorts of board game versions of video games - Pacman , Frogger, Space Invaders - worth a few bob now if complete.

Oh, yeah, I remember playing a Pac-Man one with it's little plastic Pac-Men who "ate" marbled by being pushed down onto them.

The thing I'm thinking of was like the actual computer game, only entirely done with a physical display and wind-up innards. Bloody impressive, I thought.

The Space Invaders video game was itself based on a mechanical arcade game so there is a chance a home version of that was possible.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • [quote="Lord_Griff" And some cartoon set inside someone's body where all the cells were little people etc.[/quote]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Jesus - I remember that ad. Cooper was the business.
  • I've just reinherited all of my old 70's Lego back from my nephews. There's about 10 large ice cream tubs full of bricks. I've not opened them all but I'm hoping I still have all of my railway track pieces. I'm going to have to tread barefoot on a brick or two to get the full Lego experience.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • [quote="Lord_Griff" And some cartoon set inside someone's body where all the cells were little people etc.
    [/quote]

Yeah,  that's the one. Good job.
  • davyK wrote:
    The Space Invaders video game was itself based on a mechanical arcade game so there is a chance a home version of that was possible.

Most interesting thing I've heard today, thanks. :)

Gonna go investigate that later.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    davyK wrote:

Most interesting thing I've heard today, thanks. :)

Gonna go investigate that later.

Wikipedia mentions a Taito machine called Space Monsters as a partial inspiration...would be cool to have a look at that.
  • Not sure if they've been mentioned but 

Pigeon Street - great soundtrack
    You and Me - for young'uns
    Pole Position - boy racersssss meets knightrider
    Willy Fogg 
    Cities of Gold
    POB
    Boy Meets World
    The wonder years
    Happy Days
    Mork and Mindy
    Eerie Indiana
    Dungeons and Dragons
    The Flinstones
    Dreamstone
    Jason and the wheel worriors
    He-Man
    She-Ra

Adverts
    The yellow pages adverts

Games
    Munchman (image search it)
    Bankraid
    Pass the pigs
    Sky/Shark/Tank attack (the 3d hold infront of your eye games)
    Yo-yos (mainly coke/fanta/sprite)
    Pogs
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • AJ wrote:
    There were some proper random things on early on 4, IIRC.

I'm going off on a tangent, since it's still from my childhood. My first PDA:

mxc9QqZ.jpg

Wow. Was that the one that had a game where you could move up or down (two rows total) to avoid a block moving quickly from right to left? If so, my dad had that, and I played it for HOURS.
  • Yes, indeed it was. It didn't come with that game, but it was a common programming example. I used to sit and tap the entire thing in line by line on the alphabetic keyboard. Then my dad showed me how to use the transfer cable, so I could do it on the PC.
  • Some incredible stuff on here. The likes of cockleshell bay triggers memories. I live in Ireland so a lot of the older uk stuff would have been shown here possibly a couple of years later. Soooo many memories lol. Some of the shows were garbage though. The american ones mostly. Sabrina the teenage Bitch. Jiminy Cricket she was a fucking mare. Complete arsehole.
     Eerie Indiana was great though.

I programmed my text adventures on one of these bad boys:

precomputer_large.jpg
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • bDU5RHM.jpg
    FTFY

Wow, I don't even know what that is. Only one line of text too. But still, querty keyboard.

Seems oddly familiar, though...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you want to compare old hardware for coding on ....I coded on these not THAT long ago...

epson_HX-20.12.jpg

It has non-volatile memory - note the 32K expansion on the side...

Used the ROM based Microsoft BASIC v1.0 (apparantly coded by Mr Gates!!) But we had some assembler routines to write too - it was used in public libraries to swipe in and out books and worked on when the 4800baud lines went down and transmitted the data once the line came back up.

The version we had used little tapes from answrphones to store data as a backup but they were practically bullet proof - they were connected to a VAX cluster and there were all sorts of horrible VAX OS system calls to communicate with these things (to the point we had to align variables in the COBOL source code to word boundaries - it was truly horrific - it got to a point were we couldn't add new variables for changes without breaking it - so had to do all sorts of nightrmarish reuse of variables....

The assembler (6502) was used to control the light pen and I had to code the UK PLESSEY check digit logic - the documentation for which was an ancient typewritten 3 page pamphlet that only explained the maths of it - based of dividing high order polynomials and using the remainder to generate the check digits. Had to produce VAX COBOL, Visual BASIC and assembler versions of that bloody algorithm. Happy days indeed.

• @AJ it had some basic learning games etc on it and ran version of basic. So i used to get BASIC library books from the local library and try and code up some of the example games. However those books were mostly geared toward the BBC etc so not sure if i ever got anything meaningful running. But yeah ONE LINE OF LCD MONO DISPLAY. Unreal. That was in the nineties. And now the processor on my shitty old Samsung Galaxy Ace in my pocket is more powerful than the PC i used in college. Crazy how fast its all moving.

@davk lol gotta love the brown!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    I can see all the videos properly, Andy, not my fault you've got a shit phone.
    iPad.  I'm clearly going to have to read this thread on my computer.  It mostly looks like this: ddqi.png

I think this is where the video is from a pasted link and not using the Youtube embedder that the formatting bar provides.
    I get it all the time on my iPad too.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Ooh, that's a nice looking artefact, davy. Reading what you had to deal with makes me realise just how lucky I was to start my experience of coding on an 8086. Very interesting read, thanks.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Pass-the-fucking-pigs.

Love it when they 'makin' bacon'! 

Good call.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Omfg Portland Bill!! Well played, Roujin.
  • High tier pastime that pigs game.

While I'm here I'm going to suggest that while iOS's new cosmetics' general idea is sound there's summat a bit off about it. I don't know what that is.
  • Stuff from my youth that used to freak me out...  (All of which I was subjected to at school.)

The terrifying Mr Nosybonk:

Hartley the Hare (and Pipkins in general):

And then of course there were the public information films:

Including the epic Apaches - which was basically remade as Final Destination:

• Sasukekun wrote:
    I think this is where the video is from a pasted link and not using the Youtube embedder that the formatting bar provides. I get it all the time on my iPad too.
    Earlier...
    adkm1979 wrote:
    I'll do what I'm told when you... get people to post videos properly here using the [video ] tag so we can all see them proper like.
    :P ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!