PC gaming.
  • Does anyone use a cooling pad for their gaming laptop? I feel like this Dell runs a little too hot, and apparently it's a common issue. Wondered if it was worth getting something like that.
  • My partner uses one yep.
  • You can use HWiNFO or similar to check if parts are actually getting too hot and throttling, which takes the guesswork and worry out of it. I'm pretty dubious about the real efficacy of laptop cooling pads, it likely depends on where exactly the vents and heatsinks are in the machine. Replacing thermal paste and cleaning dust out of heatsink fins will probably yield more of an improvement.
  • JonB wrote:
    Does anyone use a cooling pad for their gaming laptop? I feel like this Dell runs a little too hot, and apparently it's a common issue. Wondered if it was worth getting something like that.
    Yeah I’ve got one, works great and is very light
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I'll see what I can get round here then.

I think it's normal for these laptops from what I've read, but the top of the keyboard does get quite hot during games, so probably worth having something.
  • You can use HWiNFO or similar to check if parts are actually getting too hot and throttling, which takes the guesswork and worry out of it. I'm pretty dubious about the real efficacy of laptop cooling pads, it likely depends on where exactly the vents and heatsinks are in the machine. Replacing thermal paste and cleaning dust out of heatsink fins will probably yield more of an improvement.
    I'll take a look at HWiNFO. I doubt I'll be doing any paste replacing or stuff like that though.
  • Play it in the fridge.
  • I'll need to put the food on a cooling pad then.
  • If you got the G5 then yeah same here. And yes I use a pad. Mainly so I'm not resting it directly on couch/bed etc when playing. The extra fans are a bonus.

I don't know if it's recommended but I use one of those cold spray cleaner things to get dust out of the bottom occasionally. (you'll see to clear circles of dust on the bottom after a while, real obvious.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • (I also recommend actually using the monthly dell check up thing it does. Works well, and keeps it running pretty well.) Between that and the scans and clean ups that Bitdefender does, mine has been running pretty quick and almost faultless for a while.
  • I can't imagine how anyone could play a videogame on their gaming laptop on their actual lap??? Madness. I want that noisy hot fucker as far away from me as possible. I've got mine hooked up to my monitor buried in a box under the desk. Really portable.
  • Slay the spire doesn't exactly tax it. ;)

If I'm playing a game with pad that will warm it up, it's in front of me. NC headphones do the rest.
  • I'd try undervolting. It's generally quite effective and has no real downsides.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Repasting worked for my overheating laptop. Undervolting should work too.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I'd be cautious of CPU undervolting on any system where you can't easily reset the BIOS, as if you go too far the system might not boot and might not reset itself, it depends on the specific motherboard. For desktop systems it's generally fine as you can easily access the CMOS batter or hit a BIOS reset switch on nicer mobos, I would check the procedure for your device before diving into it.

Actually these days there's probably some Intel/AMD utility that lets you tweak voltages etc in software in the OS, that might be safe though read up on it.

Undervolting the GPU with MSI Afterburner or similar should be totally safe as all you should have to do is reset the system and not apply the same profile if it locks up.

But basically chipmakers tend to set the voltage to safe margin for stability to cover all the chips for a SKU, it's common that you might have a better binned bit of silicon that can run stable at lower voltages, which reduces heat and can allow the chip to maintain higher clockspeeds. AMD GPUs in particular are known for having higher voltages than is usually necessary.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bah, Epic's surprise free game turned out to be NBA21K. There's another mystery game next week, hope it's something decent.
  • Right, it's software undervolting that's safe; I have no experience with the hardware type.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Picked up Unexplored 2 for a few quid on Epic using the ten quid voucher. Seems like a very good rogue type rpg. Nice art style and a mixture of mechanics. Has me hooked enough to want to keep playing anyway.
  • How much RAM do I need for a top end gaming laptop? Is 16GB sufficient or do I need 30GB? Looking at the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    16gb is enough. But hey, you can never have too much.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, 16 is fine but 32 is better.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You don’t need 32gb but I got it just in case.
  • Kow wrote:
    Bah, Epic's surprise free game turned out to be NBA21K. There's another mystery game next week, hope it's something decent.

I also found this disappointing.
  • 16 is doing me fine for 95% of stuff.

Tbh, the only game I've seen that could do with infinite amounts of ram is cities skylines if you're doing crazy stuff with mods. Some of the load times the youtubers talk about for their mental creations, even on monster rigs, is nuts. Hours to load.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Kow wrote:

You'll be delighted with this week's then...

Among Us - which is kinda normally free anyway (on phones, anyway...).
  • Facewon wrote:
    16 is doing me fine for 95% of stuff. Tbh, the only game I've seen that could do with infinite amounts of ram is cities skylines if you're doing crazy stuff with mods. Some of the load times the youtubers talk about for their mental creations, even on monster rigs, is nuts. Hours to load.

I'd go 32GB these days. I'm wildly speculating but I imagine RAM requirements may go up for PC games due to the super fast hard drives in the new consoles and the inability for devs to rely that being present on the installed HDD or SSD in a PC.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    You'll be delighted with this week's then... Among Us - which is kinda normally free anyway (on phones, anyway...).

And which they have already given away free, without any big mystery.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    You'll be delighted with this week's then... Among Us - which is kinda normally free anyway (on phones, anyway...).

Ah.  Yes, I was on my way here to express my further disappointment but you already know about that.  

I've got it so it's in the library anyway but now it's added in some captcha shite.  

Next week's mystery game: Fortnite
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This is nice. Metro Exodus has added haptic feedback and adaptive trigger dual sense support using the Steam API. Could be a great way to make the tech more mainstream. I really think it’s great advancement in controller tech, with Returnal being the high point.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/24/22450915/metro-exodus-ps5-dualsense-controller-adaptive-triggers-pc
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh. Interesting. How do I use my ps5 pad on my PC - I have recently installed metro exodus so kinda interested to try this...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!