PC gaming.
  • Kow wrote:
    Paradise Killer is overwhelmingly nuts. How long before it makes some sense?
    It never stops being overwhelmingly nuts, but it makes sense in its own way.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A Plague Tale is free on Epic now. I seem to remember reviews being quite positive about it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aye. It's also on ps+ and gamepass atm. A cunning move with a sequel coming... but I do wish there was less clumping :p
  • Carto
    Nowhere Prophet
    Cepheus Protocol
    We Need to Go Deeper
    Drake Hollow 
    Encodya
    Last Oasis

up for grabs from humble.

(Good list this month, I've nabbed 3-4 of the rest. Bloodstained, Superliminal etc)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • May I have Cepheus Protocol pls?
  • Yep
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I don't suppose anyone's tried Cruelty Squad?  

Currently on sale.  Overwhelmingly Positive on steam.  It looks... a little garish.  Is it like when people pretended to enjoy a Garfeld racing game on Steam a couple of years ago?  I'll do some research.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I don't suppose anyone's tried Cruelty Squad?   Currently on sale.  Overwhelmingly Positive on steam.  It looks... a little garish.  Is it like when people pretended to enjoy a Garfeld racing game on Steam a couple of years ago?  I'll do some research.

Gman (not our one) has a video on this, your post reminded me to watch it, which I have just done:

Looks... interesting. Not sure I could stomach the aesthetic for long, but certainly sounds unique. Civvie has a video on it too but it's way longer and I can't be bothered to watch it.
  • Nice video - yeah, like it in theory, but not convinced it's for me.  Will wait for 50% off.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Remember me moaning a while back about w10 instability due to w10 updates causing screen issues on my laptop?
    Well yeah, some of the updates probably did cause bsod's. Also, I was an idiot testing faulty batteries (didn't know at the time) which in hindsight somehow left trace static residue on the motherboard if that makes any sense. The result is: you guessed it : garbled screen output, random screen flicker and the pc occasionally bsod-ing. The symptoms even persisted when booting into linux/clean w10 installs which confused the fuck out of me at the time. I assumed  my pc was dying and in dire need of a repaste. The repaste worked of course but not because of the repaste. The real thing that fixed it was me getting rid of the static when touching the motherboard (duh) while getting at the pc innards.

Solution: get rid of the residue static by touching the motherboard while earthed and the pc switched off. Worked the first time and worked the second time as well. Fuck me, I'm an idiot etc....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • hunk wrote:
    Remember me moaning a while back about w10 instability due to w10 updates causing screen issues on my laptop? Well yeah, some of the updates probably did cause bsod's. Also, I was an idiot testing faulty batteries (didn't know at the time) which in hindsight somehow left trace static residue on the motherboard if that makes any sense. The result is: you guessed it : garbled screen output, random screen flicker and the pc occasionally bsod-ing. The symptoms even persisted when booting into linux/clean w10 installs which confused the fuck out of me at the time. I assumed  my pc was dying and in dire need of a repaste. The repaste worked of course but not because of the repaste. The real thing that fixed it was me getting rid of the static when touching the motherboard (duh) while getting at the pc innards. Solution: get rid of the residue static by touching the motherboard while earthed and the pc switched off. Worked the first time and worked the second time as well. Fuck me, I'm an idiot etc....

Final update.
    I'm officially a massive idiot. I was re-researching the w10 bsod flicker bug and decided to check which apps or drivers were likely effecting/causing it as I didn't like the idea of constant bsod's frying my hw. It turns out it was a legacy win7 touchpad driver which somehow caused the screen to flicker randomly. Uninstalled it and went with the default generic ms touchpad driver and no flicker/bsod for the last seven days. You lose multitouch and gesture support, alas. W10 runs stable now tho which is what matters most. So, if you're on a w10 laptop experiencing random screen flicker, check your drivers and see if getting rid of your legacy ones solves the issue.

End of rant.
  • Final final final update. (Promise!)

After a lot of internet research I figured out it wasn't the w7 drivers that was glitching out w10.
    It was fastboot which is enabled by default in the latest w10 upgrade. Disabled it and the screen flicker and bsod's are gone. Don't need it anyways with a decent ssd. Something goes wrong when saving the computer's save state when going to sleep corrupting the windows image file.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Posting here in case people with 'older' laptops (nvidia 1050/60/70/80 and previous gen gpu's) experience similar issues.
  • Any monitor recommendations, chaps? Looking for something that can double up as a TV too, I think, even if just by using a fire stick. Probably 27"? Maybe up to 32? Need to check how that feels.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    I'm never going below 32" ever again. A 37" 4k OLED would be fabulous. Problem is it doesn't exist.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Is 32 a bit mental at a desk? I could easily be sold on a 32...
  • I use a 55 inch TV at a desk. It is a bit big but I like it
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    I use a 55 inch TV at a desk. It is a bit big but I like it

Yeah basically this. I can't go above 40" on my desk because of the speakers but that is exactly where I want to end up, in time. If someone created a great 37-40" OLED monitor I would be glad to spend silly amounts of money on it.
  • Surely that's just mental. Can you even take in what is going on?!
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    It will, of course, depend on the desk. But 32" works on just about anything. And after that you will wonder how you ever thought 27" was enough. I wouldn't go below 1440p, though, if you're going the 32" route. Otherwise pixel density is likely to be an issue.

This is if you're aiming for a single monitor. If you're multi-monitoring, then - well - the situation and configuration need will be different.
  • Looking for a single monitor/TV. 60cm wide desk. However, I'm hoping it can also be viewed reasonably well from a sofa which is approximately 170cm away. This is ostensibly so the kids - or visitors - can watch something while downstairs... but it makes me want to get something a bit bigger.

32" is probably my best bet.
  • Surely that's just mental. Can you even take in what is going on?!

sVjRyEA.jpg

4k tv works quite well as a massive monitor and when I play games I lean back in my chair and it's great.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    In other - reccuring - pc news I have a free humble key for Bloodstained if anyone is interested.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I have more humble keys too fml
  • I feel like humble has run it’s course as a monthly service.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But if I cancel and then they have a good month, it'll cost me twice as much! I do pause it quite often, mind...
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    I like the 20% discount. And then I get twelve games every month for 12$. Isn't much to argue about, really. Besides MUBI it is the only subscription I have.
  • Yeah it’s not an argument or anything, just noticing that between Humble and Game Pass I find myself not touching anything in the former service. Some of it goes to charity though, which is grand.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    I would love to touch Gamepass, but I've had nothing but issues with Microsoft Store and its gaming service in the (near) past and won't give it further access to my hard drive unless real architectural changes are made.

And for that, they'll probably demand that I update to Win 11. Which is just another part of the larger problem.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!