Gadgets, Tech, etc.
  • I understand that headphones that reduce ambient noise levels by 'plugging' or totally encapsulating the ear are normally referred to as 'noise-isolating', rather than 'noise-cancelling'. Electronic noise-cancelling headphones would work really well with train noise (unless there's someone having a conversation right next to you). I've heard plenty of good things about Bose's 'QC' range, but they're not cheap most places.
  • I'm after active noise-cancelling. There's a £16 pair on ebuyer which seems too good to be true.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    There's nothing especially complicated about noise cancelling technology. £16 is pushing it a bit though.

Unless you dislike in ear plugs I'd suggest a pair that take foam (ie Comply) tips. I can hear almost nothing external with mine in.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've got a pair of Shure SE215s which have memory foam tips and they're fantastic at blocking out sound. Even better, they don't require batteries.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I'd third the Comply route. Had some Shures too a way back and they entered you into a sufficient coma state when on the train to death/commute at the time. One of the more painful loses I've had to endure due to one too many sherries apres work sadly.

Didn't really know where to post this but a good way to get some screensavers on your Kindle 4 if you have OSX is here in this linky. 
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • A great week of me finally sorting out my phone, and car and usb in the car and rdio and all manner of stuff. Phone is back and working and upgraded. Actually working as it should and being awesome. Also worked out what I was doing wrong with the usb and bluetooth in the car. Wins all round.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • phones - i have the S2, its a beast, and stylistically cutely fits in the lineup so well, darth vader of phones. if its getting cheap now, its a good choice

im looking for a plethora of interesting input devices for pcs from kinect to logitech 'thingies' to strapping leds to your head, for the hell of it
  • Three just sent me a brand new HTC One X, upgraded my contract to 1000mins any network, unlimited texts and unlimited data (no fair use policy), all for £20 a month for two years.

I'm selling the One X (I've become too invested in the app store) should get close to £400 smackers for it.

Thanks Three!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    3 have good deals, but when I was on them a few years back, the network coverage was terrible. Let me know if it's improved.
  • Seems alright - most definitely a lot better than it was a few years ago. I was still working there when they started spending a lot of money on the network.

From 2010 on the coverage is basically similar to the other networks' in my experience, with better data rates than everyone but O2 (who have spent MASSIVE amounts of improving their capacity after their iPhone fuck up).
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    image81.png?e83a2c
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Fucking hell Mod, just buy a Mac :)

Picked up an ArcS over Christmas, just upgraded to android 4.0, loving it, slim, fast, great camera. The thing is, once your invested in an OS it's a wrench to move, or maybe just for me as I don't have a PC
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It's disgusting, my after a year of owning both a Galaxy S2 and an iPhone 4S, I kind of want a Blackberry.

I miss the keyboard...
  • I love my blackberry's keyboard. But I am completely over-excited about getting my S3.
  • Good for you, mate.

New phones are the stuff dreams are made of!
  • My current phone ISN'T EVEN 3G. It's like I'm living in the 90s.
  • The galaxy series are a dream, my s2 is a badass, the s3 seems a beast, enjoy
  • Now under 3 weeks away....
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Brand new (2 weeks old today! Yay!) Panasonic GT50 telly going back to JL sometime towards the end of the week once they have some stock in to replace it. Odd purple line appears when you turn it on and then eventually tends to fade away after an hour or two. Not happy. 
    They wouldn't give me a free upgrade to the 50in either. Don't ask, don't get and all that. 

Just a rant really but….bugger.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have a 42" Panasonic Viera.  As much as I want a new TV now, I want to wait until the latter part of 2013 and pick up a minimum 50" smart TV in time for the next gen onslaught.  However, the Viera has been acting up, albeit rarely, over the last couple of months.  On a few occasion things like the volume adjustment display and program info doesn't display properly and twice now it's turned itself off.  Fingers crossed she's got another year in her.
    Get schwifty.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Sounds similar to the probs my 7+yr old Panny was having too. Sometimes (fairly rarely) there would be a minute or so delay on remote inputs registering and it also would eventually turn itself off and on again. I could fix it by turning it off at the plug and turning it on again. 

These 2012 Panny plasmas are getting universally great reviews and have excellent pictures.. until mine didn't. It has a dual core SMARTVIERA pc in there, wifi-ed outta the box, DLNA compliant, plays any form of media I've thrown at it, 3D…yadda yadda yadda... when it works it's great but being so new I'll get another one that doesn't show purple bits thankyouverymuch.

Will mean boxing and sodding unboxing the bastard agin though. Shitsticks!
  • Can someone recommend me a decent mp3 player for about £60?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Not got one on your phone?
  • Ain't even got a camera on my phone, nevermind anything else!  I suppose I should get a phone-upgrade and get an all-in-one package.  But after years of struggling with cheapo mp3 players, I fancy something with a nice big UI.  Which I'm guessing I'm not going get with a phone option... I dunno, I need to do some serious research.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I use playerpro cost me a couple of quid, but the feature set and ability to edit tags across most formats made it worthwhile. You will need a phone to run it but the UI nowadays are great. Loads on here loved their Zunes, you can only get that on a windows phone now
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    All the touch screen phones will have a nice big UI.

If you were willing to up the budget a bit you could get a

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_payg_details.asp?itemkey=564167&intcid=payg-hot-p3

And then just use it as an MP3 player. Probs need to bung a bigger SD card in but they're cheap enough. Don't expect battery life to be anywhere near what you'd get from a simple dedicated MP3 player though.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Loads on here loved their Zunes, you can only get that on a windows phone now

I looked earlier for Blocks thinking the Zunes would be being offloaded cheaply now on eBay. I was wrong about that!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You could save some of that battery power by putting it in aeroplane mode
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Get a free 4GB 360 if you buy a Lumia 800 or 710 from Phones4U on a tariff £26 and up.

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_contract_details.asp?ItemKey=590390&NetKey=4#offer_details

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!