Social media and discussion - A Musky odour
  • Regulation is the only answer to drive social media to change. They will not alter their business model otherwise.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Facebook co-founder calling for FB to be broken up and regulated:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/opinion/sunday/chris-hughes-facebook-zuckerberg.html
  • I think regulation is coming, but it will only polish off the rogh edges, division will still be there, but it will be less harshly worded. I think even that is a plus. Never mind overthrowing democracy, I don't think the toxicity is good for the people involved at all.

I think the downside is that we're basically letting government get a hand on the controls of this stuff. I doubt we move immediately to whistle blowers and opponents of the status quo being banned, but we're definitely getting closer.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Someone has to have control over this. Governments at least have some accountability to the public (well, in democracies at least).
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Why not regulation? For a start, you could use regulation to democratise and demonetise social media feeds by breaking up these companies. Why is that not the answer?
    Well that's not the regulation that's been talked about here so far, which is regulation of content. If you open that up to regulation of company structures themselves, that's a much bigger step in the right direction, but still highly unlikely under current political conditions.
  • poprock wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    If you take out the need to maximise engagement, that already opens up a different approach. 
      You’re right there. But you’re also right here:
    JonB wrote:
    I realise that de-monetisation and democratisation of platforms isn't about to happen.
    And, as you suggest, the two aren’t compatible. You can’t have a neutral public commons that’s privately funded. Not under our system of capitalism.
    It's the same with so many social problems. The only way to really change one thing is to change everything.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Personally, I never meant for regulation to only cover content, but that could certainly be a part of it too.

And I wouldn’t be so sure that company structures wouldn’t be part of this, there are certainly calls for it both in the US and the EU.
  • I think it's a fool's errand to try and fix or coerce the existing big platforms into a better state. We need a proper alternative that isn't profit motivated, some kind of decentralised network would be a way forward i.e. something P2P or federated. There's significant technical challenges to getting something like that working well, and better than what we currently have from the average user's perspective. The failed or ongoing projects that I've seen tend to look like rather uninspiring reimaginings of the current sites, from the research I've done about past user interface and computing system ideas I've seen that there's all manner of very promising concepts that could make computing and communication much better.

• In terms of thinking about a reengineering of algorithms and user interfaces a good start would be to look at all the cognitive biases we have, particularly in the social category, and design software that could automate or at least assist in much of the hard work of thinking clearly and correctly. This is a huge and complex research project, and a lot of experiments will need to be undertaken. Thankfully people are working on this stuff - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328431852_Cognitive_Biases_and_Communication_Strength_in_Social_Networks_The_Case_of_Episodic_Frames

And yet more to read.

This seems particuarly interesting though I don't know if anything has come out of it yet -
    With social computing systems and algorithms having been shown to give rise to unintended consequences, one of the suspected success criteria is their ability to integrate and utilize people's inherent cognitive biases. Biases can be present in users, systems and their contents. With HCI being at the forefront of designing and developing user-facing computing systems, we bear special responsibility for increasing awareness of potential issues and working on solutions to mitigate problems arising from both intentional and unintentional effects of cognitive biases. This workshop brings together designers, developers, and thinkers across disciplines to redefine computing systems by focusing on inherent biases in people and systems and work towards a research agenda to mitigate their effects. By focusing on cognitive biases from content or system as well as from a human perspective, this workshop will sketch out blueprints for systems that contribute to advancing technology and media literacy, building critical thinking skills, and depolarization by design.
  • This is what I mean when I say I'm most hopeful for new technologies to get us out of trouble, of course they tend to bring new and different problems but we'll just have to keep marching on and deal with them as we go. Excessive regulation of communication to limit the worst consequences of it is just a poor idea, I'm thinking of various analogies but I don't think I'll bother, just consider parallels in other societal problems and how often laws and regulations don't come close to tackling the root of the problem.

If regulation is reasonable that's probably fine, but it still isn't really addressing the cause of the problem. Of course everything begins with education, which is a topic for another thread.
  • Bret Victor has done some good work on thinking about better tools - http://worrydream.com/ClimateChange/#media

Suppose there were good access to good data and good models. How would an author write a document incorporating them?

Today, even the most modern writing tools are designed around typing in words, not facts. These tools are suitable for promoting preconceived ideas, but provide no help in ensuring that words reflect reality, or any plausible model of reality. They encourage authors to fool themselves, and fool others.

(Richard Feynman) The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool.

Imagine an authoring tool designed for arguing from evidence. I don’t mean merely juxtaposing a document and reference material, but literally “autocompleting” sourced facts directly into the document. Perhaps the tool would have built-in connections to fact databases and model repositories, not unlike the built-in spelling dictionary. What if it were as easy to insert facts, data, and models as it is to insert emoji and cat photos?

The page has many visual examples and references you should check out, and he's done numerous other writings and videos relating to this.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think it's a fool's errand to try and fix or coerce the existing big platforms into a better state. We need a proper alternative that isn't profit motivated, some kind of decentralised network would be a way forward i.e. something P2P or federated. There's significant technical challenges to getting something like that working well, and better than what we currently have from the average user's perspective. The failed or ongoing projects that I've seen tend to look like rather uninspiring reimaginings of the current sites, from the research I've done about past user interface and computing system ideas I've seen that there's all manner of very promising concepts that could make computing and communication much better.

How many other companies have gone up against Facebook and failed to gain traction?

If you did manage to build something that offered something over and above what Facebook offered, how long until FB nicks the ideas that make it better and incorporate them into FB?

How is any non-profit social network expected to compete with FB’s essentially bottomless pits of cash?

Building anything like what you describe and actually getting it to a point where it can compete with Facebook is beyond a fool’s errand, it’s getting into pure fantasy.
  • Oh let's all just give up then, never mind eh? Pack it all up lads let's go home!
  • I think Yoss had offered something other than giving up.
  • Na this assumption that Facebook is all powerful and un-toppleable just seems really quite bizzare and incredibly defeatist to me. I get it, I understand where you are coming from, I just massively disagree with the premise.

Fuck making deals with the devil, let's kick his fucking arse.

You compete with facebook by creating a better more useful tool that has no significant downsides to the average person, some kind of decentralisation is necessary to avoid having to rely on funding a massive company and infrastructure. I don't know how to make all this work, but it's something worth trying.

Like I and others have said regulation is perhaps the weakest solution to problems caused or exacerbated by social media.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You want a decentralised social network? Here’s 12:

https://bitshills.com/best-decentralized-social-media-networks/

How many people do you know on any of them?
  • This is what I mean when I say I'm most hopeful for new technologies to get us out of trouble, of course they tend to bring new and different problems but we'll just have to keep marching on and deal with them as we go.
    Technologies themselves never get us out of trouble. It's always a question of who controls them and the ends they're put to.
  • Problem as I see it is it's a bit like the entire world is addicted to Crack Cocaine, and you want to try and sell them on a replacement that won't get them high.
    It's a tough pitch. Not saying it couldn't be done, but you'd have to have a seismic global event that turned the vast majority of the world away from Twitter and Facebook to help facilitate it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian wrote:
    You want a decentralised social network? Here’s 12: https://bitshills.com/best-decentralized-social-media-networks/ How many people do you know on any of them?

Yes notice how all of those look incredibly similar to either Twitter, Reddit, or Facebook. There's no innovation in the interface. Also they are all to do with blockchain tech which may or may not be a good idea as the basis for future platforms.

The whole "oh but nobody uses this" thing is such a shit self-fulfilling argument against trying to do something new and different. It's not easy to break through and reach some kind of critical mass of users, it will probably take years and years, like political movements. But it's bloody well worth trying, and I would argue that we haven't seen anything of the sort of new ideas I've been posting above yet, so it's far too early to call it as 'hopeless let's all sit back and get Facebooked then'.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No, let’s not do that. We have something that we know can have an immediate effect. Maybe not a perfect effect, but one that can be refined later on if needs be.

• JonB wrote:
    This is what I mean when I say I'm most hopeful for new technologies to get us out of trouble, of course they tend to bring new and different problems but we'll just have to keep marching on and deal with them as we go.
    Technologies themselves never get us out of trouble. It's always a question of who controls them and the ends they're put to.

Definitely. I would mention that I tend to think of a broader definition of technology, not just shiny machines but basic ideas and methods that shape our civilisation. No one can have a monopoly on an idea, at least once it has been released into the wild.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    No, let’s not do that. We have something that we know can have an immediate effect. Maybe not a perfect effect, but one that can be refined later on if needs be.

Yes it's a short term bandaid.

Imagine you have a village near a river, and the river starts to flood the village. A quick solution would be build up the shoreline to stop the water sloshing over, but what if a bigger flood comes along and overcomes your barrier? A better long term solution might be to look further up river and create a divergent path to route most of the water around your village. Maybe by doing this you learn that you can harness and manipulate the power of the river for things like machinery to grind grain or as irrigation for your farms.

Go upstream, understand the problem, and create real long term solutions that will scale across eventualities, and reap the benefits of the new context you have created.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ll take a short term band aid over the million to one shot that you’re suggesting. Especially as we can keep reapplying that band aid as often as we want without any issue at all.
  • I'm not going to keep going over the same ground but I'll say that I think that's a really unfortunate mindset that is counter to much of human progress thus far. Like it seems that you would be one of those in the village calling for bigger barriers to be built rather than doing the work to understand and control the river and learn something useful from it.

And I take issue with both parts of your statement there, it's not a 'million to one shot', the entire field of study around this is so nascent that we can't say how difficult it will be yet, and the probability for success is based around public acceptance which is fickle and flexible. And we can keep reapplying the band aid sure, but again at the river analogy at some point there might be more earthen barrier than there is village. At some point the band aid becomes it's own major problem.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Again at the river analogy at some point there might be more earthen barrier than there is village. At some point the band aid becomes it's own major problem.

What?

How many centuries have we been passing laws for in this country? How many regulations have been written and replaced? What issues has that caused for anyone not studying law?
  • In that river analogy would you not the short term first to give you time to achieve the long term?

I still don't get the huge reluctance to regulation but I also am not sure I get the massive value in having these huge social networks. Leaving aside the main problems, are they in any way essential to our way of life? I tend not to think so. That's not to say people don't use them in huge numbers or for huge amounts of their time but outside of targeting ads (which yes, I have used for the business) what makes them so valuable that we don't want to regulate them? Communities would still find ways to form, people would still talk. If anything it might help communication if we went a bit back to just phone, email, and text message.

When things were "normal" I remember facing a deludge of communication. WhatsApp, text, phone, email, post, messenger, Facebook comments, Instagram dm, Instagram comments, LinkedIn, twitter.... on and on and everyone thinks they are using the main one. It's draining in of itself and for what end.

Before Facebook and twitter , i could still communicate with just about everyone I needed to and those that didn't want me to I couldn't so good for them.

(Small rant- if you are going to book a restaurant use the fucking booking widget we put on all our social media and sites... don't message us at 3am and then complain at 8am that we didn't get back to you!!)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Again at the river analogy at some point there might be more earthen barrier than there is village. At some point the band aid becomes it's own major problem.
    What? How many centuries have we been passing laws for in this country? How many regulations have been written and replaced? What issues has that caused for anyone not studying law?

In the worst cases laws can become an issue, at the very least they fail to address the causes. Think of proposals to ban all pointy knives or fit them all with GPS chips as a way of combating knife violence, that's a mental example but you can see how some people want things to go that far by focusing on the symptom rather than the cause. Problems with hate groups forming? Ban forming groups! etc etc. There will be real laws that are actual examples of this but I'm not versed enough atm to bring examples right now.

Passing a law or regulating something to make the world a better place is the least we should do.
  • I'm with Yoss here. Chances of regulation succeeding are far far higher than taking FB head on and reinventing social media's algo's. I also don't believe changing social media algorithms is the definitive answer to protecting people from a new Trump. Closing the wealth, socioeconomic and education gap however is.

Not that people shouldn't keep working on innovating tech and algorithms. I'm a big fan of Linux and still waiting on it to overtake windows as main desktop OS.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    What? How many centuries have we been passing laws for in this country? How many regulations have been written and replaced? What issues has that caused for anyone not studying law?

In the worst cases laws can become an issue, at the very least they fail to address the causes. Think of proposals to ban all pointy knives or fit them all with GPS chips as a way of combating knife violence for example, that's a mental example but you can see how some people want things to go that far and address the symptom rather than the cause. Problems with hate groups forming? Ban forming groups! etc etc. There will be real laws that are actual examples of this but I'm not versed enough atm to bring examples right now.

Passing a law or regulating something to make the world a better place is the least we should do.

So my argument against setting up an alternative to Facebook is that it probably won’t work and I’m just giving up, whereas your problem with laws is they may not work, so they aren’t even worth trying? Despite the fact that we can pass more laws or repeal laws or write and rewrite huge amounts of legislation in the “probably years and years” it will take us to try your suggestion.

And as Dave says, why not both anyway? Why not legislate to give us years and years to look into this?

And any day now, Hunk!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!