Metroid Dread - A new 2D Metroid Pew Pew
  • With OP's like that, for recently revealed games, I always think what a sickener it'd be for someone to be beavering away on glorious paragraph after glorious pragraph, meticulously preparing everything to within an inch of its life for the big drop, only for someone else to pop up with 'new game, discuss!'/trailer thread as they're about to hit submit.
  • Top work Cinty
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    I might even see if any of the early games are in the online NES/SNES things on Switch.

To reiterate, tremendous OP, fella, sterling effort.

Metroid is available in the NES section, while Super Metroid is available in the SNES collection.

I strongly recommend Super, if you go that route.

And thanks to you and everyone for the kind words re. The OP. Metroid is one of my favourite series and I have such strong memories of many of these games.
  • METROID BOYZ 4 LYFE

o/
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm with Tempy on the graphics - think about how metroid games have been the dark organic stalactite / mite look. It's most of them, with some metal blocks thrown in. I really like the clean Portal-esque change - it's doing something different and that robot monster that chases Samus in the trailer is exactly the kind of nightmare fuel Boston Dynamics shit that I dream about killing me.

So let's do it.

Pew.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    I might even see if any of the early games are in the online NES/SNES things on Switch.

To reiterate, tremendous OP, fella, sterling effort.

Metroid is available in the NES section, while Super Metroid is available in the SNES collection.

I strongly recommend Super, if you go that route.

And thanks to you and everyone for the kind words re. The OP. Metroid is one of my favourite series and I have such strong memories of many of these games.

Metroid is in NES online stuff, yep.
    If you have a 3DS, I'd strongly recommend Samus Returns. I went back to it in lockdown 2.0 and 100%ed it and really loved it (wait, did I put it in my 52 games post?)
    Super is on SNES online stuff. To my shame, the first time I played and completed it was when it dropped on the VC on the 3DS. It holds up remarkably well.
    Fusion is harder to get a hold of but is on the WiiU VC. It's my favourite. I spent a silly amount in Tokyo to get a CIB of that and Zero Mission, which is just a resin of One with some QoL features.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    With OP's like that, for recently revealed games, I always think what a sickener it'd be for someone to be beavering away on glorious paragraph after glorious pragraph, meticulously preparing everything to within an inch of its life for the big drop, only for someone else to pop up with 'new game, discuss!'/trailer thread as they're about to hit submit.

Indeed.

@Minnesänger please do one for Prime 4 whenever it surfaces. I'm gonna edit my one back into a Metroid general thread and put links to yours.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah, happy to do one for Prime 4 if no one else does. Waited a day before dropping this one to see if there was interest.

And thanks for the linking - you’re a good egg.
  • Another +1 for the OP here.
  • Having played zero and fusion for the first time this year, and with Samus Returns on the list, I’ll either be Day 1 or completely Metroided out by the time this comes along.
  • I'm gonna link to this one in my Mario Golf thread.
  • monkey wrote:
    Having played zero and fusion for the first time this year, and with Samus Returns on the list, I’ll either be Day 1 or completely Metroided out by the time this comes along.

You try them as a Retro thread thing? Or just curious to try Metroid?
  • The first Metroid I played properly was Super when the Snes Mini came out. So they’d been on The List since then. Been slowly trying to fill in gaps in my retro history for a few years now.
  • Zero is so good I don’t think it can ever be beat.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think Super Metroid is in my top 100 ever list thread entry. It sits alongside LttP for me as they totally absorbed me until I completed them but then I haven't ever played another game like them as I'm a more linear / arcade style person.  They sated any desire I had to play something with any amount of exploration.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, happy to do one for Prime 4 if no one else does. Waited a day before dropping this one to see if there was interest.

And thanks for the linking - you’re a good egg.

Do it dot dodgeball dot gif
  • b0r1s wrote:
    It was to me. I still haven’t played it either! I really should.

By the way, wanna sell it back to me for a small profit. :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • monkey wrote:
    Zero is so good I don’t think it can ever be beat.

Zero Mission is great aye. The GBA got lucky in that it got 2 absolutely storming entries. And it's a shame because, as ERE noted, the series has been dicked about a bit in terms of platforms and quality. But, when you get something like Super, Zero Mission, Prime or Fusion? They're genuine All-Timers. 

(Also, like you, I got some gaps re. retro gaming. Should really get on that.)
    davyK wrote:
    I think Super Metroid is in my top 100 ever list thread entry. It sits alongside LttP for me as they totally absorbed me until I completed them but then I haven't ever played another game like them as I'm a more linear / arcade style person.  They sated any desire I had to play something with any amount of exploration.

Yeah, I get this. I love Metroid but i've bounced off a lot of Metroidvanias. Unless there's something to hook you in, think it's easy to struggle to find your groove in them. The likes of Guacamelee, Hollow Knight and Ori all have their fans, but they also have a bunch of people who just didn't get on with them at all - myself included.

If you were looking for a more linear experience - Metroid Fusion is probably a good shout. But if you just wanted to leave it at Super Metroid...well, what a place to leave it!
  • Small update to the OP. Added the Nintendo treehouse video that you can see below. It's early-game and doesn't really spoil anything, I don't think. There's 2 parts (just added part 1, but you can find 2nd part on Youtube) and gives you a proper look at the movement, feel and art style. 

There are some framerate issues but they seem to be primarily limited to when the game uses cinematic angles and movements - normal side-on play seems pretty smooth to me. 

You also get to see a couple of areas and, honestly, they look pretty nice. There's some cool stuff going on in the background.

EDIT:

Also added the vid below to the FAQ section. It looks at the remake(s) of Metroid 2, and might be of interest to those who want to know why opinions are a little split on the 3DS version of Samus Returns.

• I've never played a Metroid game. Come at me bro.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    It was to me. I still haven’t played it either! I really should.
    By the way, wanna sell it back to me for a small profit. :)

I don’t need profit man. Just cover the postage and whatever I paid. If I was gonna play it I would have by now. I still think it’s in the 3DS. PM me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I've never played a Metroid game. Come at me bro.

WTF!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    WTF!
    Don't worry he likely still buys them anyway, so will help the sales.

Thanks for the 2 added videos Cinty, watching now.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message

And I thought we were friends
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Wow Cinty, finally got around to the OP. Top stuff. The Dread mechanic does have me feeling a bit anxious but guess that’s the point. I just want to explore without the pressure. May wait for reviews on this one. 

I don’t personally have negative view on the graphics, they look fine, just a bit cleaner.

@Nina - he can stay… for now.
  • That gameplay vid seems to show a really low enemy density, weird.
  • They probably want you to use the “wheeee sliding” a lot.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    With OP's like that, for recently revealed games, I always think what a sickener it'd be for someone to be beavering away on glorious paragraph after glorious pragraph, meticulously preparing everything to within an inch of its life for the big drop, only for someone else to pop up with 'new game, discuss!'/trailer thread as they're about to hit submit.
    Yeah, happy to do one for Prime 4 if no one else does.

You just write it years in advance, see. A glorious pragraph every few months.
  • Ha, and proof read each one obvs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!