• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    No takers, eh? Ah well. Thanks to Tectoy and the immense popularity of SEGA in Brazil, we get curios like the Master System Girl - a Master System in a Game Gear-esque case without a screen that used the aerial to beam the picture to your (or a neighbour's) TV. product-123074.jpg What makes it 'for girls'? Well, it's pink. Apparently. I'd describe it more as 'second hand car red' myself. Also, it came with a built-in game called Miranda... which was Alex Kidd with a gender-swapped sprite. See also: Master System Super Compact.

Oh I like that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Looks similar in concept to the Mega Jet.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When I say I like it , it's in a so-shit-it's-novel kind of way.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    No takers, eh? Ah well. Thanks to Tectoy and the immense popularity of SEGA in Brazil, we get curios like the Master System Girl - a Master System in a Game Gear-esque case without a screen that used the aerial to beam the picture to your (or a neighbour's) TV. product-123074.jpg What makes it 'for girls'? Well, it's pink. Apparently. I'd describe it more as 'second hand car red' myself. Also, it came with a built-in game called Miranda... which was Alex Kidd with a gender-swapped sprite. See also: Master System Super Compact.

I did take a look at it Swirly, but was working.

The Master System Girl though, I've seen some pictures of it where it is a hot pink. I don't know if maybe they did 2 varieties, One for the Barbie lovers, and another for Ford Mondeo lovers.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Oh I like that.
    davyK wrote:
    When I say I like it , it's in a so-shit-it's-novel kind of way.

I was going to challenge you to add one to your collection, but let's forget that plan.

I did take a look at it Swirly, but was working. The Master System Girl though, I've seen some pictures of it where it is a hot pink. I don't know if maybe they did 2 varieties, One for the Barbie lovers, and another for Ford Mondeo lovers.

That makes sense. And I'll forgive you... this time.
    Looks similar in concept to the Mega Jet.

Thaaaaat's the one I was trying to think of. It reminded me of something, but my moron brain kept saying Vita TV, which isn't quite right.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't have, nor ever did have a Master System but since getting the Everdrive cart for the MD I can now play SMS ROMs on my MD.

Which is nice. :)

SMS was  (is?) massive in Brazil for some reason.  The 2600 was a big deal there too. Collecting Brazilian versions of carts is a sub culture all itself.
  • The reason it was so successful is because there are very restrictive taxes on imported consoles. Sega were smart enough to license the Master System to Tec Toy, who manufactured it in Brazil. This also mean that games were localised by Tec Toy as well.

Nintendo were present, but mostly as clones, which was a super fractured market, and had wildly varying quality. TecToy were producing consoles to Segas specs, so it was a good quality product.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Interesting.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The reason it was so successful is because there are very restrictive taxes on imported consoles. Sega were smart enough to license the Master System to Tec Toy, who manufactured it in Brazil. This also mean that games were localised by Tec Toy as well. Nintendo were present, but mostly as clones, which was a super fractured market, and had wildly varying quality. TecToy were producing consoles to Segas specs, so it was a good quality product.

Ah, I didn't know that part. SEGA being clever for a change.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • A similar thing happened in South Korea where it was illegal to sell Japanese products.

Samsung released the Mega Drive as the Super Gam* Boy and Super Aladdin Boy, and Hyundai released the SNES as the Super Comboy.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, I've read about that. You could drive yourself mental trying to get all the Sega hardware if you included the Samsung branded stuff, and the Brazil exclusives from Tec Toy.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    We've definitely talked about it before, and perhaps in this very thread. But I don't think I've seen a picture of one before now. The "Atari Entertainment System" is a massive 'what if?' in video game history, but we don't have to speculate what it would have looked like. A prototype was shown once (and only once) at the 1984 Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show.

Behold! The Nintendo AVS, manufactured by Atari.
    GS-AVS-04.jpg

I dig it. Definitely a home computer of its era, but it's got a clean aesthetic, yet retains a distinct Nintendo look. The tape deck is particularly good design, and those pads are mental.
  • That looks awesome.
  • That's what the 21st century looked like in the 80s. Those gamepads would probably be painful to use, though. When did curved edges become futuristic again?
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    When did curved edges become futuristic again?

When Microsoft released Windows 11.
  • I thought it was when Apple went through a phase of building macs that looked like boiled sweets.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The pads seem pretty standard for the time, surely, compare those to the NES/MS pads. That’s not to say that they aren’t a bad design, they just aren’t a uniquely bad design. People were still frying to figure shit out back then.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The pads seem pretty standard for the time, surely, compare those to the NES/MS pads. That’s not to say that they aren’t a bad design, they just aren’t a uniquely bad design. People were still frying to figure shit out back then.

I guess so - first console I played was the PS1 (!) - I had an Atari ST though, and the joystick it came with had that square base that gave me a blister on my palm. Got a competition pro asap.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    We've definitely talked about it before, and perhaps in this very thread. But I don't think I've seen a picture of one before now. The "Atari Entertainment System" is a massive 'what if?' in video game history, but we don't have to speculate what it would have looked like. A prototype was shown once (and only once) at the 1984 Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show.

Behold! The Nintendo AVS, manufactured by Atari.
    GS-AVS-04.jpg

I dig it. Definitely a home computer of its era, but it's got a clean aesthetic, yet retains a distinct Nintendo look. The tape deck is particularly good design, and those pads are mental.

What's that little clamshell device in the top left? A game and watch type thing?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think it is a Game and Watch, the note above it says Nintendo World.
  • Is that not an original DS? Guessing this is from some kind of museum rather than from CES.
  • Yeah pretty sure thats the first DS. Hideous thing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah pretty sure thats the first DS. Hideous thing.

Still spanked the PSP's arse though...I remember the big love the PSP got - it is something I'd still like to get hold of today. But that weird little thing from Nintendo took over the world for a while.

The Atari/Nintendo relationship is my personal biggest "what if". The David Sheff book covers it. Atari came in extremely arrogant on Nintendo. Some guy fell asleep at a meeting which really pissed off Yamauchi who took it as an insult.

Was a real opportunity - one of the Atari execs was a good Go player and that would have been a big "in" to building a relationship with Yamauchi who was the equivalent of a chess grandmaster at it.
  • It was a decent bit of kit, thankfully they gave it a facelift.
  • I didn't think the AVS had anything to do with Atari.

Isn't it just a Nintendo prototype before they settled on the Entertainment System design?

I thought the Atari deal fell through before it got to any design/manufacturing stage.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I didn't think the AVS had anything to do with Atari. Isn't it just a Nintendo prototype before they settled on the Entertainment System design? I thought the Atari deal fell through before it got to any design/manufacturing stage.

Probably so.

I was just remembering reading about Nintendo offering Atari the rights to Nintendo distribution in the US. They probably could have got a good software publishing deal out of it too. They fucked it all up.

But maybe it wouldn't have made any difference in the end. The software Nintendo pushed on NES was miles ahead of anything Atari were conceiving who were still thinking about arcade style games. It was probably too late by then and they had been sitting on the rather good 7800 for 2 years.
  • Yeah the story of the 7800 is an interesting one. Can't remember the ins and out but it was to do with the post WB split into Atari Corp and Atari Games from what I remember reading, the 7800 got lost in limbo for quite a while.

There was still a bit of goodwill towards the Atari brand at the time, it managed to outsell the Master System with its late release, would have been interesting to see how it would have done if it had released those two years earlier.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Those d-pads look spectacularly bad, but the rest of it... distinguished joy.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    What's that little clamshell device in the top left? A game and watch type thing?
    Is that not an original DS? Guessing this is from some kind of museum rather than from CES.
    LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah pretty sure thats the first DS. Hideous thing.
    davyK wrote:
    Still spanked the PSP's arse though...I remember the big love the PSP got {...}
    LivDiv wrote:
    It was a decent bit of kit, thankfully they gave it a facelift.

Anyone who didn't recognise the DS needs to hang their heads in shame. Like going to a football forum and asking what colours Man U usually play in. ;)

The photo is indeed from Nintendo World. 

I remember at the time everyone going mental for the PSP and writing the DS off as dead on arrival. Weird how things turn out. I wonder how much of that was due to Brain Training and the older market.

But yes, the original DS was a hideous design. I think that's the main reason I bought a Lite, the upgrade in aesthetics was worth the price alone. Even with a GBA cart poking out the bottom like a digital haemorrhoid, it still wasn't as fugly as the original.
    I didn't think the AVS had anything to do with Atari. Isn't it just a Nintendo prototype before they settled on the Entertainment System design? I thought the Atari deal fell through before it got to any design/manufacturing stage.

I can't find it now, but the article I was reading suggested it was Atari's idea for what to do with the hardware. Entirely possible it's just the internet being wrong, and I've just leapt on it. Still cool looking, either way.
  • To be fair, when the DS was announced it was this weird looking thing that even Nintendo didn't have confidence in. Remember this was apparantly a third pillar to stand alongside the GameCube and the Game Boy.

The PSP was the sexiest console ever made, and looked like a true successor to the GBA.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!