Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • Also need the projector which is the size of one of those big American fridges, the space for it, proper HVaC and someone trained to calibrate and operate it.
    And a cinema willing to invest in all that.

edit: also also IMAX the company aren't particularly easy to work with.
  • I've not seen anything at the IMAX but someone send me some photos of Oppenheimer taken from the front row and they're hilarious (ymmv).
  • tin_robot wrote:
    (There was a discussion on the film thread about whether the nudity in this film is gratuitous. It's not, it's there for a very clear and specific thematic reason. But that reason is "This Lady Personifies Irresistible Sexual Desire And We Will Show That By Having Her Almost Always Naked.").

Can you confirm there's also a glimpse of scrotum?
  • IMG-20230723-WA0000.jpg

Like a strong ale cheesy Microchip fever dream.
  • Is that Reggie Fils-Aime?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Spot on :-D
  • 21. Maborosi - 23 July
    Debut feature film from Japanese auteur Hirokazu Kore-eda. Ebert described Maborosi as a "film of astonishing beauty and sadness" and he isn't wrong. Precisely the two things that were obvious from my viewing. Beautifully shot with great use of light (not lighting) (the full Japanese title of the film transaltes to 'light of an illusion'), and a heartbreaking story of a young woman dealing with loss and grief and the mysteries of death.

A lot of Kore-eda's feature-length films are critically acclaimed and I mean to wacth all of his best ones. If they are as good as this, I'm in for a treat.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    21. Maborosi - 23 July
    Debut feature film from Japanese auteur Hirokazu Kore-eda. Ebert described Maborosi as a "film of astonishing beauty and sadness" and he isn't wrong. Precisely the two things that were obvious from my viewing. Beautifully shot with great use of light (not lighting) (the full Japanese title of the film transaltes to 'light of an illusion'), and a heartbreaking story of a young woman dealing with loss and grief and the mysteries of death.

A lot of Kore-eda's feature-length films are critically acclaimed and I mean to wacth all of his best ones. If they are as good as this, I'm in for a treat.
    [9]

b-RGH8ve-Gg-LVno-LDS-jpg-large.jpg

Not enuff killins
  • I love that little sketch.
    Deep cut.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    IMG-20230723-WA0000.jpg Like a strong ale cheesy Microchip fever dream.

Obey-the-giant.jpeg
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    21. Maborosi - 23 July

[9]

His newest one Monster is showing at MIFF this year but I haven't booked to see it
  • When I saw the title, I thought it might be an adaptation of the manga, but it isn't.  That's quite an unfilmable story.

Most of his films seem to deal with emotions and corresponding behaviour.  Monster is apparently the last film to be scored by the late Ryuichi Sakamoto (RIP).

• 85. Memories of Murder
    Such a great film and so beautifully made. Zodiac surely must have come from Fincher seeing this, there's so many similarities.
    [9]
  • Best dropkicks ever!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    1984  Haven't read the book in decades but this has made me want to go back to it.  Starring a superb John Hurt and it's Burton's last film.  Cyril Cusack features and he is always a pleasure to watch. Recreates Orwell's world very well - at first I thought it has an obvious influence on Brazil, but that film was made around the same time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    One of my favourite films, dark and nasty. John Hurt is great as usual. And there's gratuitous full frontal nudity so what more could you ask for?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Crimson Tide - Seen it so many times, yet even though I know what's going to happen those stand offs with Hackman and Denzel have such tension, I get sucked back in again. Love this film [10]
  • Oooh loadsa movies on my Qatar flight(s) that I can watch. First flight, Knock at the Cabin and D&D.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Knock at the Cabin is thorough shite.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Crimson Tide - Seen it so many times, yet even though I know what's going to happen those stand offs with Hackman and Denzel have such tension, I get sucked back in again. Love this film [10]

It is an absolute belter. I don't think Denzel or Hackman have ever been better

PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s wrote:

dbl
    post lol
    PSN - minkymu
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

It is an absolute belter. I don't think Denzel or Hackman have ever been better.

Best Hackman for me is Unforgiven. Absolutely love him in that film.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dungeons & Dragons
    Amiable nonsense.
  • Kow wrote:

You’re not wrong.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Kow wrote:

You’re not wrong.

Really disappointed to hear this. Not because M. Night, but because it is adapted from the very good novel The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay. Will watch anyway. Also, Knock at the Cabin is a terrible title when there was already a very good one up for grabs.
    Get schwifty.
  • 22. Knock at the Cabin - 29 July
    HOLIDAY FLIGHT MOVIE 1. Crap, pointless movie devoid of any tension or scares it as I say even a point to it.
    [3]

23. Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Among Thieves - 29 July
    HOLIDAY FLIGHT MOVIE 2. Surprisingly fun.
    [6]

24. Wreck-it Ralph - 29 July
    HOLIDAY FLIGHT MOVIE 3. Enjoyed it. Loved seeing so much gaming stuff on screen. Still lacked oomph though. Was just a gentle ride.
    [6]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Got a £5 credit to Prime video so rented Dungeons & Dragons - silly matinee fun but enjoyed it for what it was. Didn’t take itself seriously at all, Hugh Grant having fun as usual in his latter career and the rest of the cast did what they needed to do. Mix of impressive landscapes with some dodgy character animation. I’m sure if it did well there’ll be sequels [7].
  • I really like Wreck-It 2 as well Elf. You should watch it. I think it has an interesting core message that I haven't seen in another kids film.

One thing I really liked about D&D was all the practical effects sprinkled throughout. Some really cool animatronics in there. Didn't expect them to care that much to do it.
  • 86. Candy Land
    Whilst this is shot well I felt it was one of those films that thinks 'character' is just dialogue. So I didn't really care about the characters and then when it all goes south it wasn't very well staged or scary or even really make sense in how no-one would notice what's going on. 
    [3]

87. Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
    This is definitely more in line with Bumblebee and is actually quite fun and feels like a saturday morning cartoon instead of just people shouting at each other for 2 hours. Has a good reason for the humans to be there too. Gotta love the America only storyline of the kid needing medical treatment but the family can't afford it so the hospital is like "bad luck buddy"
    [6]

88. Nimona
    This was light and fun. Animation is good enough and the acting is good. Won't really stick with you but a good way to spend an afternoon
    [6]

89.  Oppenheimer
    Maybe I just don't like newer Nolan movies but I just couldn't get into this. The way it's paced and edited really was giving me Elvis vibes but without the pizzazz, it does have more character and story than that film. So not being on board with the way it was meant I was ready for it to be done way before it was done. I also found it weird that with all the IMAX talk there was still a seeming lack of planning in those sequences so the aspect ratio changed a lot more erratically than I expected. A shame too because the IMAX footage is stunning, especially the black and white but the regular B&W footage was nowhere near as clear so I noticed it a lot. To the point where I'd say it's not really worth going to an IMAX to see it. I enjoyed seeing multiple out of focus faces too, makes you realise it's an analogue film in many ways.
    [4]

90. Talk to Me
    A pretty fun little aussie horror film. Was expecting it to be a bit scarier and have a few more original ideas but there's some great moments in it, just not enough for me.
    [5]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!