Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • The End We Start From sounds right up my street.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Barbie

Well that was just fantastic fun, bought it on Amazon Prime as the wife and I didn't make it to the cinema together to see it so we made a date night of it.
    What a fun movie, some excellent casting and so damn funny. Margo Robbie is brilliant as always and Ryan Gosling is the perfect Ken.
    Writing was excellent and had so much heart too.
    Loved it.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Gremill wrote:
    The End We Start From sounds right up my street.

the trailer looks great
    PSN - minkymu
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    TMNT Mutant Mayhem
    Fucking amazing - was expecting it to be kinda good, but was pleasantly surprised that I found it incredible fun! Entire cast is firing on all cylinders and loads of the jokes landed with full on laughs. Jackie Chan and Ice Cube in particular, but just everyone was having fun there. Soundtrack is also incredible - not just the obvious nostalgic hiphop needledrops, but the score itself, so it was no surprise to see it was Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross when the credits rolled. Fantastic all round and managed to distinguish itself nicely from Spider-Verse in both content and style.
    [9.5]

In full agreement. Nate fell asleep after 10mins so I'll have to watch it again, don't mind at all
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oppenheimer Smart and handsome telling of the atom bomb project and the aftermath. Makes me wonder how easy it would be to follow for someone who hasn't read as much about it as I have though. 3hrs passed swiftly for me. Cillian Murphy is superb in it, as is the rest of the cast.

Everything is simplified which is necessary. There's a last cast of characters - many key figures who solved the problems get a single mention at best - but this is about the human side of the story and not the mechanics of it. A very fine job indeed.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 105. Dead Ringers
    Great movie from ol' Cronenberg about twin gynos going a bit mad. Incredible work from Jeremy Irons really as both twins feel like different characters played by different actors. The one actor/two roles stuff is presented fantastically as well by shooting and editing it like it is two actors instead of the more "ah ha!" stuff from something like BTTF2. Makes you wonder if the effort put into filming would be more than just dumping it on the VFX people like in The Flash. Would take some forethought and planning at least, something which Hollywood seems to be allergic to these days.
    [8]
  • If you like some "actor playing twins without loads of VFX and requiring a tonne of pre-planning", there's the Seth Rogen double-bill "An American Pickle" - where not only did he play the 2 characters, but he grew out the beard for real - so they had to do a full month of shooting him as Herschel, then he shaved and did all the Ben scenes, meaning they had to be real careful with locations, continuity, lighting etc. when they came back a month later.

• Didnt know/hadnt considered that about the beard shooting etc.
    I did enjoy the film though which I guess says something about it, good cinema trickery that I wasn't focussed on the how just enjoyed watching the film itself.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's more than a months worth of hair growth, Shirley?
  • Beard first then shaved it off for round 2.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ah aye. I read Chump's post wrong. Thought they'd be mad to do it the other way
  • Shoulda stuck to CG facial hair, what could go wrong?
  • If we're talking beards, shaving, in-camera trickery and intricate planning, ultimate has to be "Beard Off" from Eric Jacobus (who had to shave for a part so figured he'd make a short film in the process):

• djchump wrote:
    If you like some "actor playing twins without loads of VFX and requiring a tonne of pre-planning", there's the Seth Rogen double-bill "An American Pickle" - where not only did he play the 2 characters, but he grew out the beard for real - so they had to do a full month of shooting him as Herschel, then he shaved and did all the Ben scenes, meaning they had to be real careful with locations, continuity, lighting etc. when they came back a month later.

I'm going to go back and actually watch this. I saw about 30 minutes of it a few years back and it looked good, but never got around to watching the whole thing.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Midnight Cowboy  Have watched this a few times over the years but not in a very long time.

This is much more of a film than I remembered. It's quite dark in many places when it comes to Joe's memories and mental health, but of course it's also funny and very, very touching. The two leads are spectacular and seeing New York at that time is always a delight, especially when it's so superbly shot.

This is a highly accomplished film both technically and artistically. Has that 70s feel but still feels like a one off. It's a bit of a masterpiece to be honest. On Prime at the minute.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Love Midnight Cowboy. What struck me, and it doesn't seem widely mentioned, is that it's Ratso who is in love with Joe and everything he does is based on that. Joe isn't gay, but Ratso is.
  • Knock at the Cabin
    Starts intriguing but ultimately unsatisfying.
    Feels like I'm supposed to takes something away from it but I don't know what.
    Mercifully short run time helps it a bit and I always enjoy Bautista.
  • 87. Tenant [5]  

Starts intriguing but ultimately unsatisfying. 
    Feels like I'm supposed to takes something away from it but I don't know what. 
    Bloated run time didnt help but I always enjoy Branagh.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Groundhog Day
    Michael Shannon goes to Wrestlemania

[7]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Lock Stock on Prime. Still Ritchie at his best. Perfectly paced caper movie that comes together brilliantly. Still funny too.
  • So quotable too!

“It’s a deal, it’s a steal, it’s the sale of the fucking century. In fact, fuck it. I think I’ll keep it. “
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • “I asked you to give me a refreshing drink. I wasn't expecting a fucking rainforest! You could fall in love with an orangutan in that!”
  • “You don’t look like your average horti-fucking-culturalist!”
  • “Jesus Christ. You could choke a dozen donkeys on that! And you're haggling over one hundred pound? What d'you do when you're not buying stereos Nick? Finance revolutions?”
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    All great :-)

“Chill… Winstaan!”

“Is this some white cunts joke that black cunts don’t get? Cos I’m not laughing Nic O Las!”

“Do you understand? Cos if you don’t… I’ll kill ya”

“I fucking hate traffic wardens”
  • Notting Hill
    I don't mind a soppy rom com but I think this one was really the peak of cliche before they had to start writing in a bit more of a twist or unique spin.
    Roberts is also much better an actress than the opportunity this role provided.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Got about 25 minutes into Asteroid City before turning off for fear of pulling one of my arms off to chuck at the telly.

Absolute bollocks.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes Oli my man
  • Pulp Fiction

[10]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!