Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • because the knife was in his mouth then you see him making the cutting motion, this obviously wouldn't kill him but would hurt like fuck. he snaps the cue and basically tells the goons to fight to the death
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    because the knife was in his mouth then you see him making the cutting motion, this obviously wouldn't kill him but would hurt like fuck. he snaps the cue and basically tells the goons to fight to the death

I was thinking about the 2 guys he killed when he got up from the pool table.

And maybe he didn't kill Gambol after all.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 48. Mom & Dad
    Nicholas Cage goes THE FULL NIC CAGE in this dark, funny and tremendously fun horror movie in which, for reasons that are unexplained, parents all over America start compulsively murdering their children. There's some really grim imagery and some ideas around your kids being the death of your identity - but this is really just 83 minutes of rollercoaster mayhem and Cage doing his daftest thing. I really enjoyed it. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    R.e. the dark Knight-

That movie gets away from itself in the last 40 mins. It tries to reconcile Two Face and Joker at the same time and neither gets satisfactory. Two face gets a car situation and the joker / dog fight is muted to 10 seconds.

A classic film ubdone at the end by scope.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nefarious

Hugely pro-Christian/God film of a serial killer being interviewed by a psychiatrist to see if he is sane and can be sent for execution.

All 'wahey God is great' aside, Sean Patrick Flannery is fucking incredible as the possessed killer. Its essentially two actors in a room and his performance is insane for what is basically a bit of religious propaganda.

Ending is gash, the last ten minutes or so, but it has to hamme home that message.

[7]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Enjoyed Elemental. Not Pixar’s best but it’s themes around immigrant life, responsibilities and living up to parents expectations was well handled. Visually it looked great as usual.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Evil Dead Rise A fitting modern reboot. Doesn't have as much of the humour of the originals but hats off to the makeup and the main cast - particularly Alysa Sutherland as Ellie who clearly relished the job.

I noticed a nod to the Shining (not the elevator - there was copy of a shot from the pantry scene), and I'm sure I recognised the shot where they look down into the back alley - not sure what film that was from but it rang a bell.   The triangle shaped cabin at the start could be considered a nod to Midsommar - but not sure of that.

Good fun overall.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    William Fichtner, great character actor that he is, should stay away from writing and directing if Cold Brook is anything to go by. Indie small town ghost movie, it has to be one of the most unevenly paced films I’ve watched. Nothing wrong with the performances and a strong cast but no one has anything to say and the production feels quite amateurish in places. And whoever came up with the title font should be shot. Not good.
  • Fast X
    That was absolutely terrible. Total garbage. And I enjoyed it immensely.
  • poprock wrote:
    Fast X
    That was absolutely terrible. Total garbage. And I enjoyed it immensely.

Sounds like my sort of film!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK wrote:
    Evil Dead Rise A fitting modern reboot. Doesn't have as much of the humour of the originals but hats off to the makeup and the main cast - particularly Alysa Sutherland as Ellie who clearly relished the job.

I noticed a nod to the Shining (not the elevator - there was copy of a shot from the pantry scene), and I'm sure I recognised the shot where they look down into the back alley - not sure what film that was from but it rang a bell.   The triangle shaped cabin at the start could be considered a nod to Midsommar - but not sure of that.

Good fun overall.

I loved it, the pacing is pretty much spot on. The one word I would use to describe the film is "relentless"
    It opens strong, has a brief slow to allow us to learn just enough about the characters then it's straight into the action. From there it's just up and up.
    And it's 90 minutes, perfect!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I’ve always been an unashamed fanboy of the Fast & Furious films, but they jumped the shark a few movies ago and have been getting worse and worse since. I’ll still watch every one they make though, even though I’m now laughing at them rather than with them.
  • It’s wrestling-level story and character, with superhero-level car antics. I love it. Cast clearly enjoying themselves also adds fun points - especially letting Cena be Cena in this latest film.
  • John Cena elevates most things to an essential watch for me
  • Felt like they made this one on a budget. Which I know sounds ridiculous when they have mega-stunt sequences and wreck entire cities. But the scenes between the action bits felt cheap as hell. Only two actors in a scene, lit so you don’t see any background scenery, etc.
  • I grinned all the way through it, but it’s definitely a crap movie.
  • Talk to me.

I had heard good things and wasn't disappointed. Not amazing but a good enjoyable uncomfortable watch.

3 stand out scences put you on edge throughout, but the film never really fully ramps up as i wanted it too. A solid 7

PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thirteen Days Costner stars in Cuban Missile Crisis story. Solid and good representation of the Kennedy Bros.  The 2'25'' goes in without much effort. One always wonders how the conversations really went with the military painted as a bit gung-ho but one wouldn't be surprised if it was even slightly accurate.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Great film. Watched it recently. Think the Costner role was amplified but I thought the Kennedy’s were very well done. I used to own the DVD and it had a great interactive feature as you watched to get more info, a bit like Primes X-Ray functionality.
  • poprock wrote:
    Felt like they made this one on a budget. Which I know sounds ridiculous when they have mega-stunt sequences and wreck entire cities. But the scenes between the action bits felt cheap as hell. Only two actors in a scene, lit so you don’t see any background scenery, etc.

Listening to an interview with the director and he talked a lot about how ask the actors are so big and busy that it's really hard to schedule them to be there to shoot. So like Statham literally had like 3 days he could be there to shoot so they did what they could. You can really see it in this one.
    Also weird when you see the behind the scenes footage and how much they did practically but then made look CG through overworking it. They really did roll a big mine through a lot of streets. The latest mission impossible had similar visual issues
  • Thirteen Days

Starting my Costner season.
    Kevin Accent plays aid to JFK during the Cuban missile crisis. Good stuff.
  • 49. Evil Dead Rise
    Phenomenal tribute to the classic films. The first one was pretty great, if slightly lacking in character. This sequel is fucking relentless, brutal and disturbing - in it's 90 odd minutes it lets you get to know the characters just enough for you to care when they die. A proper, pitiless horror film. 9
  • Gremill wrote:
    49. Evil Dead Rise
    Phenomenal tribute to the classic films. The first one was pretty great, if slightly lacking in character. This sequel is fucking relentless, brutal and disturbing - in it's 90 odd minutes it lets you get to know the characters just enough for you to care when they die. A proper, pitiless horror film. 9

Fuck yea!!! I just adore it
  • Gremill wrote:
    49. Evil Dead Rise

Fuck yea!!! I just adore it
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    49. Evil Dead Rise

I heard wookie thought it was shit and he thinks you're a midget he could beat up
  • Gremill wrote:
    49. Evil Dead Rise

I heard wookie thought it was shit and he thinks you're a midget he could beat up

I'm definitely not a midget, but he could definitely beat me up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Didn't know Rise was the 2nd modern one.
  • I must be the minority because whilst I thought Rise was fine, it didn't blow me away. Felt a bit plodding and boring in places. A solid 6.5 or so. I preferred the previous modern one.
  • davyK wrote:
    Didn't know Rise was the 2nd modern one.
    Drag Me To Hell was quite Evil Deady as well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!