52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • I completed Steve Bruce's Night Striker on my first go.

191. Alan Wake 2 - PS5 (16.5hrs)

I was keen to like this, especially as I broke my no digital for big games rule for it, but a runtime coming up to 20hrs is too long for the unconventional meta artifice to paper over the cracks of the outdated mechanics.  The gameplay backing up the wonderful presentation and visual smoke & mirrors is weak (at times painfully so), so I can't bring myself to present this with an enthusiastic thumbs up despite appreciating the style and craft that clearly went into the style.  Quantum Break haters, look away now - the gunplay in Remedy's most maligned release was superior.  For the most part, in terms of interaction, Wake 2 feels like a relic from the early PS360 era.  I'm not a fan of clumsy survival horror, and if you take away the marvelous presentation and stunning graphics that's precisely what this is.   I went in on TotK for the reused fight system but dear me, this is just OG Alan Wake at heart, which was criticised for its flashlight/shooting core in 2010.  The combat takes a back seat to progressing the story, but that doesn't excuse how poor it is whenever it rears its outdated head.  Also, any scene that hands you control as your character gets chased by something is pure unadulterated pish.  

The Remedy panache is in full, unstemmed flow here, and while they get a bit carried away with chucking stuff wot they like into the melting pot - Lynch, X-Files, Stephen King, Scandinavian police procedurals (Saga's wearing Lund's jumper!), True Detective and so on - it's hard not to appreciate both the effort and the love that went in.  Some of ways the game layers its realities on top of one another as you play are masterful, and it feels like the interactive evolution - at last - of the walking down a corridor towards to a door that doesn't get closer thing.  Or entering a door before exiting to an unexpectedly different location.  I expect a plenty of the first person horror games have played with this perception altering stuff successfully too, but drawing from my own gaming experiences this still feels a fresh take for a AAA title, when others are happy to just occasionally wheel out Arkham Asylum inspired brain bendy bits.  It screams big budget and looks absolutely glorious, but it does occasionally lack the cohesion of, say, a Naughty Dog game.  For example, in an early Saga chapter (the stand out campaign for me), she reaches her destination then says 'I should ask around', then immediately passes a character it's impossible to interact with.  It just feels a bit odd sometimes.  For the most part though, the production values and attention to detail/nice touches are off the chart. 

Away from the action Saga's case file deduction system just about worked, but the mind palace detective work was way too hokey and often felt like she hit a brick wall with her FBI skills, then channeled her inner Mystic Meg to give the plot a quick kickstart.  Not for me, Clive Barker.  Although we're encroaching on spoiler territory here, perhaps.  On the Alan side, the changeable scenes initially felt like a good idea but eventually descended into an irritating exercise in trial and error.  I never really got outright stuck during his actual puzzle bits, but at the same time it felt like my constant progression was based on more luck than judgement.  I disliked the wayfinding with a passion, with 'where am I supposed to go?' and 'how the fuck do I get there?' being my go-to questions.  I absolutely bumbled through on numerous occasions.  The problems were often caused by Wake's reality-altering magic lamp, which kept creating annoying little mazes, especially once my attention was on the wane.  This might just be me, but when I initially picked this item up I expected more from Remedy in terms of puzzles, but it boiled down to what felt like unintuitive geometry altering to create hidden exits/entrances.  I'll also hold my hands up and admit that I never quite understood how the battery on the flashlight worked.  Does it recharge over time?  Is it possible to completely run out of juice and render yourself totally useless during combat?  If there are 4 layers of charge why can't you put a fresh battery in when you're down to 2?  Am I getting the torch capacity mixed up between the two playable characters?  For answers to all these questions and more, ask someone else.      

I really, really liked what this tried to do, but the execution is fudged slightly. It's shlocky like an old TV show, which is undoubtedly deliberate, but I'm not convinced it intentionally lands closer to a bad episode of Urban Gothic than a good episode of Twin Peaks.  It earns a [7] for oozing sumptuousness at every turn, but it's not far off the point below, especially as the pot is an actual nonsense.  I complained about the fact that chapter end songs were mostly written for the game rather than chosen to fit, and I'm no doubt in the minority here but I think the latter is a developer hallmark and they're goofed here.  I'm sticking with that particular grumble as my biggest gaming disappointment of the year - the new stuff is an egotistical misstep imo.  End credits music gets a thumbs up, the on-the-nose singalongawake stuff sent me to sleep.

Possible Control crossover spoilers:
    Spoiler:

192. Gravity Circuit - Switch (4hrs 38mins)

Very good Megaman inspired close-combat centric action platformer in the well-trodden 'Super 8-bit' style, that thankfully fits it like a glove.  I love stuff like this and tend to be fairly happy playing competent nu retro side scrollers (I'm not looking at Tiny Thor or Gunbrella here, unfortunately), but every now and then one pops up that deserves a bit more recognition.  This isn't quite excellent but it makes a much better push towards greatness than most of its peers.  Shovel Knight will probably always be S-tier [10] king of the sub-genre, but the likes of Infernax and Flynn: Son of Crimson nail their respective attempts to revive experiences of yore.  In the tier below you've got Panzer Paladin, Blazing Chrome, Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider, Cyber Shadow and so on.  They're all legit (and I could happily go on), and the purpose of me listing them here is so I can point out that this is better than almost anything I've mentioned.  

It's solid AF, with all character movement feeling suitably retrochunky and fun, and the only area I'd say it falls short in is balancing its difficulty.  Thanks to the purchasable upgrades a savvy player can nerf the challenge by equipping useful items and brute forcing the (well designed) boss fights, which along with a spot of slowdown on the Switch version takes a point off the final score.  The first boss took me a few attempts, but I barreled through the vast majority of the rest at the first time of asking (including the lengthy final guardian), which seemed like a shame considering their patterns appeared to be on point.  

Still, this is genuinely superb and may find its way onto my top 5 of the year, will have to have a think.  Very happy with it - if I had to define a Moot game there's a good chance I'd start by describing this.  All action, full of checkpoints, tricky and retro leaning with expertly designed layouts, tight controls and a HLTB of <5hrs.  It even has a cracking theme tune. [8]

gif04.gif

193. Wild West C.O.W-Boys of Moo Mesa - Arcade (35mins)

A Konami run & gun coin-op from 1992 that I'd never heard of.  Stylistically it's got a Sunset Riders meets Bravestar thing going on and I was quite surprised how nice it looked.  The gameplay is straightforward and basic, but that's precisely what I wanted from it.  Me and Tilly had a 35 minute blast for sure.  Anyone doing a spot of ROM hopping any time soon should give this a bash I reckon - it won't blow your mind, but it's an enjoyable and solid arcade game that doesn't empty your pockets with bullshit.  A very pleasant way to end the year and exactly the sort of thing I hope to unearth when I'm trawling through a MAME menu. [5 out of 6]  

Ahhh, of course it was based on a TV show.  Didn't realise until I went searching for a GIF.

Wild_West_C.O.W.-Boys_of_Moo_Mesa.jpg

?scode=mtistory2&fname=https%3A%2F%2Fblog.kakaocdn.net%2Fdn%2FGG2Gi%2Fbtq0XpeTmyE%2F6UT4o4qc4wF5HMV1wO6G90%2Fimg.gif
  • (with continues)

173. The Adventures of Chris - Switch (3-4hrs)

I'm used to playing indies without many Metacritic reviews to go by.  This one is a rarity though, as one of the not many write-ups out there was provided by a forumite, who then recommended it to me on here.  Our Reggie review here.   The price was eventually right a few months ago, and now here I am.

With all due respect to opinions I absolutely loathed it, to the point where it's probably in contention for my least favourite platforming experience in years.  I'm nodding hard at all the shortcomings reg highlights in his review, but shaking my head in disagreement at just about all the positives mentioned (although I'll concede that the music bops at times).  I made the mistake of checking a YouTube 'full game' video before going in, which suggested the game was only 90minutes long.  I failed to realise that this was part 1 of 3 though.  If it hadn't been recommended I would've binned it very early on.  By the halfway point I'd dropped the difficulty all the way down to invincible baby mode, and some of the screens were still annoying.

A few years ago I went in on Horace in one of these threads, settling on a [5] because despite the wonderful story segments and delicious sense of humour the actual playable sections felt depressingly flimsy and basic.  This reminds me of Horace, albeit with cutscenes that are even worse than the gameplay (unless relentless jokes about the titular character being a greedy chubster float your boat).  It all feels like a cobbled together Amiga game - y'know, the dreaded Europlatformer vibe - and I did not like it one bit.  The deflating mechanic threatens to be interesting once or twice, but otherwise this is a turd.  Still, the rec is appreciated as I can definitely see why someone might think I'd like this on paper - it's retro leaning, relatively short and pretty straightforward.  It just pays like arse, looks even worse and doesn't do anything well.  [3].  

jump-and-inflate.gif

174. Osman - Arcade (35mins)

Spiritual successor to Strider, developed by the original game's lead programmer sans Capcom licence.  It doesn't seem to have stopped him making a game that feels like Strider 2. I didn't know it existed until I spotted a rerelease on the Eshop (yours for the princely sum of £24.99 full price, or £7.49 in the current sale). Put off by the price it was one of the first things I tried to play when my emulation consoles arrived, but it turns out it was pointless looking for Cannon Dancer because it's called Osman in certain territories (and my ROM list).  A lucky find as I was scrolling through the menus today.

It's a pretty good game, although it leans a little too heavily on the screen clearing specials that re-up every life.  You get three, and they're super useful, but the game feels a bit unmanageable in places without them.  Ergo dropping more money in makes it more enjoyable.  A vicious cycle, but that's the nature of the beast. It was all going fine until a checkpoint towards the end of the game did me in.  I forced my way through with luck, but having consulted YouTube the 'keep at it and hope for a bit of luck'  approach seems to be adopted by most other players too. Poor.  I'm glad I didn't buy this on Switch as it'd be horrendously overpriced for what it is, but what it is is worth playing, if only as a curio.  [3.5 out of 6].  Good fun - and crucially, a better to play in 2023 than Strider, imo - but best left in the arcades or on a whistlestop ROM run. Lost a full point thanks to that shitty checkpoint.  Glorious graphics though, and an amusingly wild story.

ee702bc2eab418e0704b3b794569a365.gif

175. R-Type Leo - Arcade (30mins)

Nope, never heard of it.  Nice looking simultaneous two player R-Type (second) sequel from 1992 that looks rather lovely and doesn't get outrageously nasty until a fair way into the game.  As usual a coin fed push through one of these isn't enough to determine whether or not it's a legit shmup, but my guess would be that it is.  A quick look suggests that purists didn't like the new drone system though.  Can't win 'em all.  Mostly good fun and doesn't outstay its welcome.  [4 out of 6]

R-Type-Leo-scoring-trick.gif

176. Racing Hero - Arcade (45mins)

A sort of Hang-On/OutRun hybrid, developed by Sega and released in 1989.  If it wasn't so horrendously punishing of any and all mistakes I would have enjoyed this a lot more, but it took me about 10 minutes (plus some dip switches fiddling) to even reach the first checkpoint.  Basically if you crash in this at any point ever you've had it, even on 'easy mode' (start with a generous 67 seconds instead of the default 65).  There's a good game here somewhere because the traffic weaving feels legit, and I assume you sat on a bike for the original cabinet, but it's so mean spirited I ended up disliking it.  Which is a shame as otherwise it seems to be a decent super scaler racer from when Sega were in their pre-polygons arcade pomp.  It even does the OutRun style top-down route taken thing after the Game Over screen.  Git gud maybe, but without continues, save states and persistence I would've failed miserably.  [2 out of 6]

tumblr_o6as25uSPx1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

177. Riding Fight - Arcade (40mins)

One of the things I love about games is that's its still possible to play something unlike any one package you've seen before, even when tombola surfing 30yr old titles on a moody Chinese emulation device.  This is a glorious hodgepodge of F-Zero, Road Rash, scrolling beat 'em ups and trailers at the start of Manga videos for films I never got to watch. It's also legit cool, given its age, rather than achingly try hard; the hoverboard Mad Max stuff would set eyes a-rollin' in 2023, but in 1993 this must have oozed wow.  Which it still does, looking back for the first time.  I ended up explaining that with less commitment than intended but I've got review fatigue now so I can't be bothered to rewrite - this vibe might be rubber stamp stuff now but I'm giving this a massive pass considering its age (it's not a modern retraux game trying to look like an early 90s rad hoverboard combat racer, IT IS AN EARLY 90s RAD HOVERBOARD COMBAT RACER).  Look, there's a martial arts ice hockey boss in this and I loved every second of it.  It all works surprisingly well too, despite combining numerous genres at once, so the score below isn't just for the rush of the ride - it's actually a semi-legit game too.

Even the way weapons fall out of defeated enemy hands and spiral in the air waiting to be grabbed by the player feels good.  The set-up:

Riding Fight is a Front View Speed Action Game. Two radical dudes fight the gnarly "Death Serpent" gang and get mucho dinero by shredding on their sick hover boards and doing sweet martial arts moves.

Jazz Club nice.  One of the radical dudes is called BURN BOWIE, which is great work.  The other is called Keith Jager, which doesn't scale such dizzy heights on the nominative determinism scale but it'll do.  A wild ride that I'd never heard of until I spotted the thumbnail on the giant ROM list.  [5 out of 6]

tumblr_nmt095w2pq1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

178. Rockman: Power Battle - Arcade (25mins)

Cuphead style boss rush.  Bosses have always been the highlight of the Megaman games I've played anyway, so this unexpected find was right up my alley.  I've got no idea why it was so easy, especially as I was bracing myself to bounce off it immediately, but I'm not complaining.  I only died three times!  I only played through as Rockman/Megaman, but there are three characters available, presumably with their own unique set of very particular skills.  The boss order appears to be randomised, but there could just be a standard route through and the pot luck style could just be smoke & mirrors.  I can't confirm as I only played it once.  Each time an enemy is defeated you assimilate a particular skill, in keeping with the mainline entries, and some make shorter work of subsequent baddies than others.  The boulder attack seemed particularly powerful.

The visuals are bright and chunky with some surprisingly great animation on some of the bosses, particularly the one in the gif below.  A good time.  [4 out of 6]

286f3b16ab307e725533c3cb320f7a30bded7b44.gif

179. Sly Spy/Secret Agent - Arcade (25mins)

Data East 007 inspired horizontal fire run & gun that's amusing, reasonably playable but, realistically speaking, utter tosh.  I enjoyed it, despite the simplicity and general whiff of unfairness throughout.  I think it's fair to say that most of us would have loved stuff like this in 1989, so I can't be too harsh on it even with the benefit of hindsight.  This appeared a year after the Robocop arcade game yet doesn't allow diagonal fire and lacks both the iconic characters and general punchiness of that game's audiovisual wallop.  I know which one I'd rather play, but decided to rollsafe and play both anyway.  [3 out of 6]

tumblr_n0i9fmvEv71roqda3o1_500.gif

180. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Arcade (35mins)

A big one from my childhood.  I was Turtles mad and for two summers this drank as much of my dad's money as I could beg for during caravan holidays.  I don't think I ever managed to wangle enough to finish it, having vague memories of the hoverboard section and not much past that point.  It wasn't until this appeared on XBLA that I played it in full and realised that time had been massively unkind to it.  Revisiting it a second time yesterday hasn't changed my mind - it's a polished package that was undeniably wonderful at the time.  There are plenty of neat touches and it's respectful to the source material and generally feels bang on for that kinda Hero Turtle vibe (rather than the dark Ninja chops of the 1990 film) but as a belt scroller it's weak, as are most of the classic Konami offerings imo ymmv.  

As a coin-op this was a huge deal and sounded exactly right, even down to the COWABUNGA shout as you drop more coins in.  The appeal has withered though, it's not a patch on subsequent Konami Turtles games (either in the arcade or at home) and it's probably best left in the past. The simplistic screen to screen combat is just about OK against fodder enemy types, but the coin guzzlingly brutal bosses ruin it and it runs out of steam after about 15 minutes.  TLDR:  Play it with four or don't play it at all.  [2.5 out of 6]

beat-em-up-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles.gif
  • You need to play Outrun 2 more. Only playing the arcade mode is an injustice. There's so much more to do and enjoy.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah deffo. Was looking into the PSP settings on the Anbernic today to see if I can get it to run without freezes. If not I'll try to drop the rom/iso/whatever it is on the SuperConsoleX3+.

Edit: Or the PS Mini might be ideal? Not quite sure how the architecture compatibility works on that one.
  • If its the same emu as the Vita you'll be able to overclock the processor but you'll still get the odd dropped frames during bits with heavy traffic.
  • Yeah I don't mind the odd frame drop as I'm being cheeky anyway but it seems to maintain a steady 31fps, until it sort of locks up randomly which might happen one or twice per section.
  • I'm getting back into the emulation ATM (or at least downloading stuff and not playing it) - outrun 2 sounds like the perfect sort of thing to have a crack at.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I finished a game! So that’s now a 9 then five 7s in a row.

6. Cocoon (SeX) - 30 Sep (~4.5 hrs)
    Nice little atmospheric puzzle adventure type thing. Short and sweet. Nothing too taxing or complicated. Loved the fact there were no hints at all in the game but it didn’t need to give you any, as I said it’s mostly quite simple. Some of it felt just random and arbitrary and could’ve done with even a little integrating into a semblance of lore relevance to environment etc.
    Only missed two secrets/collectibles. And my game time is a guess - the game doesn’t have a clock and I left it on pause most of the day so the Xbox says I played for 10 hours.
    [7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'll be going for an 8 I think but mostly agree. Not quite as exceptional as I was hoping for but a lovely little experience nonetheless.
  • I started that today too, feels like a cross between Lonely Mountains Downhill and Scorn atm. I'll aim to finish at some point.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Did 15 mins, went back to Lies of P
  • nick_md wrote:
    I started that today too, feels like a cross between Lonely Mountains Downhill and Scorn atm. I'll aim to finish at some point.

nick-confused.gif
  • The environment, the reddish rocks etc, the style of it reminds me of LMD. It's obvious m8
  • If I wasn't so lazy I'd post the two comparison pics I sent you that conclusively prove my position.
  • Tbf I can see it from the pics and admitted as much but reddish rocks was fruit strewn on the ground.
  • I'll also admit that I'm pissed and thought they were both Cocoon pics until just now.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm only four games away from hitting the goal!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I started that today too, feels like a cross between Lonely Mountains Downhill and Scorn atm. I'll aim to finish at some point.

Hahaha. I see the LMD echoes. Didn't play Scorn. I also had Creature in the Well vibes too
  • 150. Cocoon - Xbox Series S (4hrs)

Well executed puzzle adventure that takes its central conceit as far as it should imo - I've seen complaints that it's not a full brain bender, but I put that down to wise design decisions rather than a missed opportunity.  I might be in the minority but I would have had my nose put out of joint if the final third had leaned into the melt-your-head zone.  It never delves too deeply into the possibilities the world-within-world orb layering offers, but it dives in delightfully from time to time and always emerges at the right moment.  Like visiting limbo in Flatliners and waking up holding a spinning top inside Freddy's hat, the urge to create layer upon intertwining layer must have been strong, and the fact that the final game has arrived in a neatly crafted, intricate yet not overly taxing state is testament to dev's restraint.  

I'm going to show less restraint by listing a load of things this that sprung to mind while playing, many of which have been mentioned by other badgers: Tunic, Hyper Light Drifter, Furi, Portal, The Swapper, Below, Creature in the Well.  With perhaps a touch of Marko's Magic Football, Lonely Mountains Downhill and something else [insert scorn here].

Most of the rest of it has been said, it's one of those indies that's seen plenty of forum traction and there's a general vibe of good to great on the boards.  Plus a MEH from chalice and what looks like a meh+1 from Sparky.  I thought it was very good, although not as truly outstanding as I had my fingers crossed for.  So not a patch on the majesty of Inside unfortunately, but a quality idea for a puzzler that's been lovingly crafted into a refreshingly short and stylish experience that bows out just before the fun stops.  Before I forget, the bosses were legit too. [8]    

4f32a930-5ef6-11ee-9ba5-111e102d33e8    

151. Astalon: Tears of the Earth (11hrs 47mins)

Exquisite Retroidvania that does so much right in terms of layout, secrets, exploration and item buffs that it ended up knocking on the door of the elite tier for me.  It should come as no surprise to anyone trying to keep up with the modern indie scene that bangers are being slept on every month, and it's likely that there are some very good games out there that none of us have even heard of.  I only found this one after actively searching for deeper Metroidvania recs online and spotting some loud under-the-radar love for it, occasionally in list form.  With 5 critic reviews on PC and a mere 2 on PS4 it's a good old fashioned word of mouth special.  I played on Switch and very nearly tapped out due to performance issues.  It's not quite ruinous, but only because I was willing to forgive unforgivable/unfathomable framerate jitters due to needing something meaty to sink my teeth into while I was away for a long weekend.  Don't play this on Nintendo's geriatric hybrid if you can help it, and take a point off the score at the bottom if you do.  I did in play on Switch in fairness, but I added a point because it's my review and I can do what I like.  Once you get used to the performance wobbles it's not that bad tbf, and certainly nowhere near what we put up with when most games actually looked like this, but there's no reason for something that goes for the super 8-bit aesthetic not to have a rock solid framerate - I'd expect a Mega Drive and 24 meg cart combo to crush this with a bit of development TLC, for example.  

Enough of that though; the game itself really is excellent.  I enjoyed Blasphemous 2 a couple of months back but I kept asking myself whether this is a better Metroidvania while playing, and I think my answer is probably yes.  The map isn't stupidly large but the secrets and DIY approach to exploration are so well designed that it feels like a proper example of the genre hitting an ultimate form sweet spot.  I love the Ori's to bits but they're GO HERE NEXT games whereas Astalon feels far more organic in terms of progression, which isn't usually my preference for the genre but probably is technically the bestest way to do it really I guess (he admitted, begrudgingly).  There's always something to distract you, despite the loose 'go up' direction you're given at the start.  It was only three quarters of the way through the adventure that I discovered you can actually go down from the starting point too, which eventually reveals almost as much map as the ascent.  The short-lived three weapon system dictating available routes in Blasph 2 felt under-developed, but Astalon offers something similar as the core of the experience by adopting a Lost Vikings approach, with playable characters that can be changed at camp fires (and eventually at will, with the correct item).  The initial selection of three heroes (spoiler alert: you may find more, but given the way exploration works you may well not) all have abilities that are necessary to negotiate certain obstacles and offer very different combat possibilities.  It's resolutely retro in flavour and requires the player to chip away at progression by gradually revealing areas in the hope of reaching a fast travel spot, often failing at attempting to push a little further past your death room on subsequent attempts.  Controls are simplistic and methodical - far closer to an OG era Wonderboy or a Castlevania (or Hollow Knight, come to think of it) than the fluid nippiniess of Ori or Metroid Dread.  As usual with the Castlevania types things become a lot easier if you slow down, but that's easier said than done as it's generally easier to get carried away and rush things.  Enemies respawn every time you leave a screen too, which could be intensely irritating for anyone expecting a less retro skewed experience but fits what this actually is perfectly.  It's also impressively miserly with health pick-ups to the point where they're effectively non-existent, offering no reliable way to get energy back once you've lost it.  Trust me though, it's an approach that works in this instance.

Every time you kill an enemy you receive orbs, which can be spent on various perks and buffs that kick in on resurrection. Each character can be substantially upgraded and there are numerous other offerings that initially seemed to be poorly explained, but eventually the slight gamble element felt like it was deliberately baked in.  So it's one of those games where you get stronger with failure, which means genuinely skilled players will have a tough time of it too as they'll be lacking the stat boosts that scrubfolks will accrue over time.  It's all pitched very nicely afaict, as the tricky but not dastardly difficulty felt right on the money to me (62 deaths, 91% of the map, 78% of items and I'm not done yet, honest).  Currency can be farmed to an extent, but never to the point where it felt like breaking the balance of the main stages, more that it was inviting you to slowly hoover up orbs for a minimal leg up if you so wish.  Some of the hidden items are delightfully tucked away - I'm missing two trinkets and I'm eager to find out what they are.  Even after the credits rolled I had entire areas of map undiscovered (I've gone back in twice and mopped up for an hour or two, so initial completion was actually around the 10hr mark), and when you do find yourself off the beaten path it's impressive how many forks and detours you can take within an already secret area, and how many secrets there are in general - I'd say 40% of the entire map felt like it was optional.  

In terms of size it's not too big, not too small.  It's not too tough, not too easy, not too reliant on fine-tooth-comb map tile connection exploration and not too hand holdy.  Ergo just righto.  Music is mostly very good and a perfect fit for the quest itself and the appealingly stylised but limited visuals.  

Complaints?  I couldn't quite work out why anyone would consider any characters other than the wizard as their go-to guy, so I put most of my orbs into maxing him out.  Bosses were fine - rarely great and rarely fully crap.  If you spend a few hours exploring you'll make short work of them due to ever-increasing HP, AP and defence stats, so perhaps the difficulty of the guardians could have scaled up behind the curtain a little more deftly.  Having said that, I quite like any grind I put into games to be rewarded with OP'ness, so I'm not sure what the answer is there.  Either way, none of the bosses have particularly noteworthy patterns or designs.  There's probably too much backtracking and manual schelpping from A to B, even with the main lift and a smattering of teleporters, the latter of which are linked to specific warp points.  So it's not like you can step in one, select your destination and emerge from any you've unlocked, as it the norm, rather that they'll spit you out at at whichever mirror they're twinned with.  Bit mean.  It can be a touch inconsistent on occasion too - you'll fall through most ladders just by walking over them, for example, but this isn't a universal rule the game sticks to.

I'm not a complete idiot so I can see that this sort of thing isn't for everyone.  If you appreciated the simple nu retro styled pleasures of Infernax or Monster Boy (@yossarian) there's a wonderful game here that deserves far more attention than it's received.  I don't often bother with what makes this game tick deep dives on design but if someone made one for Astalon I'd watch it (I need to find out why the end credits called it Astalon II for a start).  I suffered the distinctly average Aggelos a few years ago in search of something similar, so it feels like this was some well deserved karma.  I think this might be my top 'modern' gaming experience this year so far (I'll have to check my notes - it's definitely up there).  Which makes me wonder how many other would-be favourites in the genre I've almost got into but shelved prematurely over the years. Toki Tori 2? La Mulana? Super Metroid?!? I'm chuffed I went back to this one anyway. There's nothing quite like a 2D Metroidvania for me when they hit right and I'm kidding no-one by playing it cool over Silksong.  I need it. [9] 

giphy.gif
  • 2022:
    Final Post

Games reviewed:
    Ready or Not, Can Androids Pray, Bad End Theater, Anger Foot, Bloodborne PSX, Day Repeat Day, Elden Ring, GT7, Horizon: Forbidden West, Emily is Away 3, Fifa 22, Ghostwire: Tokyo, Good Night Knight, There is no Game, Disco Elysium, Cyberpunk 2077, Deep Rock Galactic, YAKLAD, Manifold Garden, Factori, Circadian Dice, Nier Re[in]carnation, The Sexy Brutale, Dragon's Dogma, Vampyr, Rogue Legacy 2, Lair of the Clockwork God, Escape Simulator, Ender Lillies, Rhythm Doctor, Citizen Sleeper, You Have to Win this Game, Narita Boy,, Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion, NORCO, Buck Up and Drive, A Year of Springs, Buddy Game Simulator 1984, Dicey Dungeons, Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order, Grindstone, What the Golf, Reigns, Moonlighter, Ctrl Alt Ego, Tales of Arise, Mini Metro, Gloomwood, Kill it with Fire, Civilization IV, Civilization VI, In Other Waters, Deathloop, Blink

2022-2023 hangovers - finished in 2022, written up in 2023:
    Marvel's GotG, Two Point Campus, Stray, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Peglin, Slay the Spire, Nioh 2, Railway Empire, Catherine: Full Body, Wasteland 3, Subnautica, Death Stranding: Director's Cut

Part 1: Games 1-3 (plus 2022 hangovers) (Judgment, Vampire Survivors, Miles Morales)

imgur not playing nice at the moment, so please excuse the lack of pictures / gifs. Will add them later (maybers). Also, I didn't play these all recently, this is during a decent chunk of 2023 and, like always, I count a game as "finished" when i've had enough, not when the credits roll - that might be after 20 minutes or 20 hours.

Anyway, here's my 2023 gaming so far:

4. Vaporum: Lockdown
    Grid-based steampunk Dungeon Crawler wanna be Legend of Grimrock meets Bioshock thing. This is very much an "if you like the genre, you'll like..." kinda game. I have a soft spot for these things, and first person Dungeon Crawlers in general, so I had a decent time with this. [7]

5. Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
    This was fun and I played a fair chunk, but some characters felt wildly more enjoyable than others and it takes a few unlocks for things to get real good. Boss fights are great spectacles. Nico is just shamelessly hot. But...the game felt kinda ugly? Dunno what it was about it, but I really didn't vibe with the art style. [6]

6. Lost Judgment 
    I thought Judgment was a good, but uneven, first jab at doing something post-Yak / Like a Dragon. Lost Judgement didn't vibe with me for some reason - not sure whether it was the pacing, but it didn't hold my attention as much as the first. The side content is fun enough, though there's a fair amount of repetition from the first (which is normal for the series, tbf). That said, after this, me bouncing hard off YAKLAD, and me not wanting Kiryu back (which they seem to insist on doing), I've gone from a RGG Studio Stan to someone now sitting back and waiting, rather than day one. A sad, though understandable, dip in form from one of my favourite studios. [6]

7. Roadwarden
    Fantastic old-school text-based RPG. Miles of depth, fantastic writing, and an engrossing world. Best of all, its full of systems that matter. Not just in a Choices Matter kinda way, although they do, but in a way that means that the way you play creates a distinct texture to the world and your interactions for each playthough. [9]

8. Yakuza Kiwami 2
    Unlike Kiwami 1, I think 2 is actually superior to its OG iteration. It builds on 0 and it's just great to spend more time with one of the series' best antagonists again. This was still when the series leant more heavily on Mob Drama than the increasingly zany path it went in later years, but there's still a fair bit here. The combat is also top notch. [9]

9. Against the Storm
    An interesting spin on the RTS / strategy / city-builder genre - there's no opposing army here, but the world around you constantly exerts pressure. It's a roguelike, of sorts, constantly chucking small challenges on you, and has both short term targets (to achieve on this map) and long term ones (across a campaign and multiple maps). Just one of the most refreshing RTS / strategy / sim things i've played in years. [9]

10. Resident Evil: Village PSVR2
    I didn't like Village when it launched. It's incredible and so much better in VR though. The opening in VR is still obnoxious - constantly yanking your head this way and that to create oooooh scary spooky roller coaster moments which are just boring - they were boring on flatscreen and they're boring here. But, once that's all over you get Village without all the crap - movement feels right, aiming is actually fun now, and the atmosphere is so much better. Just brilliant. [8]

11. Tentacular
    You're an octopus who needs to get a job. One of those games where the fun is in the physics and the colour. Wife had a fun time with it, though i'd argue it's a little too stop-start in the beginning. Wouldn't recommend everyone with VR runs out and buys it but...it's a fun enough time and there's some decent gags. [6]

12. Destiny 2: Witch Queen
    Witch Queen was great. [9]

13. Destiny 2: Lightfall
    Lightfall was less great (though the game actually feels in a decent-ish place at the mo) [6]

14. Tyranny
    I like Obsidian games. This is an Obsidian game. In Tyranny, you're...evil, and that's important. In so many RPGs where you can be good or bad, the choices often come down to Save Puppies versus Kick Puppies. Help the town, or Nuke the Town. It's baby-level writing, made by idiots who have nothing interesting to say. "Bad" choices in games should be fun. They should be challenging. They should be understandable. Evil is so much more interesting and compelling when it makes sense. That doesn't mean you have to defend it, but it shouldn't just come across as teenage egdelord shit like, lets be honest, 99% of Bethesda "choices". And, as a result, players often ignore 90% of evil content and go goody two-shoes which is fine, but it's also a massive waste of effort. 

Obsidian have consistently been one of the few teams who know how to do this stuff - in Alpha Protocol, Pentiment, KOTOR 2, and the rest, they created compelling and understandable monsters and villains. And in Tyranny they just choose to take away the good choices. Now all of your choices support evil. You are an important decision maker in an evil overlord's army, sent into a war zone to break a deadlock brought about by infighting, deception and corruption. And if you can't end that deadlock, everyone dies. You must make decisions, and you must move things forward, you must find a way to subdue, subjugate...whatever, because if you don't, a spell goes off that insta-gibs everyone. 

It's short and replayable, deep and pure Obsidian goodness. [9]

15. Lunacid
    An excellent first-person Kings Field-like. It's Early Access but there's already a lot there, and it's shockingly good for a solo project. [9]

16. Pile Up!
    Minimalistic city-builder with very chill indie presentation - the actual game itself is surprisingly tricky, occasionally to the point of frustration, especially when there's so much RNG involved.

basically, your objective is to build a city upwards. You are given several types of building, you plop them down, then you get more and plop those down. As your city increases, your citizens have needs, most commonly utilities like water, gas and electricity. However, the trick comes from placing these so they cover as many homes as possible, while they also can't be placed too close together. 

The game ultimately boils down to that juggling act - leaving space for important resources to be inserted without creating clashes or letting happiness drop too far. It's decent but hardly earth shattering. [6]

17. Synapse
    A very good VR roguelite shooter which blends strong visuals, physics gameplay and...jedi telekinesis. It's a blast, albeit one that is a fair chunk of change for not a lot of content or variation. I had a lot of fun with it and don't regret buying it, but it's not something I could promise is worth the cost of entry for everyone. [8]

18. Far Cry 6
    Played for "free" thanks to PS Plus. Had fun for a few hours, then got bored. Waaaaaaaay too long. [5] 

19. Grand Theft Auto 5
    Believe it or not, i'd never played this before and eventually got it on sale. If you're wondering why it keeps topping the charts all these years later and think "who is still buying GTA5?" well...it's people like me.

And you know what? It was fucking dull. [4]

20. Resident Evil 4 Remake
    I thought the OG Resi 4 was way too long. I think the Remake is way too long. Excited for the VR update, though. [6]

21. Tchia
    Wanted to like this. Didn't. It looked fine and had some charm but did nothing for me in the end. [5]

22. Scarlet Nexus 
    Another one I wanted to like, this time off the back of Tales of Arise which I really liked. This was nowhere near as good though, either in terms of story or combat. [6]

23. Pistol Whip
    Buy this. Go full wally and dance while you shoot, you won't regret it. An absolute all-time stunner. [10]

24. Olli Ollie World 
    Another one i wanted to like. Enjoyed the aesthetic and it's clearly a Good One, but found it too fiddly. I'm one of those people that enjoys hard games, and challenges in general, but i'm really not into finger gymnastics. It's why i don't get on with fightmans, and it's why I didn't get on with this. A shame. [6]

25. Nier: Replicant
    Did multiple playthroughs. Story? Excellent. Music? Incredible. Combat? Fine. First playthrough is weaker than Automata's, but it picks up. 

Well worth trying for those that skipped the original (like me) and loved Automata (like me!) but it's worth being clear - Automata really is the better game in nearly every way. [8]

26. JETT: The Far Shore
    Was really into the vibes of this from moment one and was genuinely excited. Then the actual game started. It's a bit crap. [4]

27. Rune Factory 4: Special
    It's alright. I'm never getting FoMT-era Harvest Moon back, and I accept that. The bosses are ripe in this, though. [6]

28. Horizon: Call of the Mountain
    A decent intro to VR and very pretty. This was a freebie (thanks b0ris!) and it's worth playing if you spent all that money on the headset. Gameplay wise it's a bit simple, and a far cry from the likes of Alyx, but it's also not that long. Discovering secrets is a decent time, and there's lovely interactivity, but enemies in combat really are a bit too spongey. [7]

29: Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S: Definitive Edition 
    I wrote in the DQ thread a while back that I don't think the Definitive Edition is necessarily the better edition, and I stand by that. There's some nice additions (the orchestral score, specifically) but I honestly think most of the additions (new stories for cast members start of act 2, new 2D mode and area, use the fun-sized forge anywhere etc.) actively undermine the story and themes of the game. The original is one of my favourite RPGs ever. This was a disappointment. [7]

30. Legend of Grimrock 2 
    A classic. And very old school. Another grid-based, first person dungeon crawler, this time with a more trad fantasy setting. It's great, and hard, and when I'm in the mood for this type of game, nothing else can hit the spot. It's also long and I doubt i'll ever see all there is to see. [8]

31. Baldur's Gate 3
    May do a longer write up on this at some point, but to keep it short - I loved Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2, and for me Larian and Obsidian make the best CRPGs out there. Baldur's Gate 3 is a genuine masterpiece and I've completed it twice now. [10]

Now, I've also played a bunch of Playdate games, thanks to Shabby who gave me one. These games are super short, so i'll just rattle though them quickly:

32. Whitewater Wipeout - Playdate
    Cowa-ok [5]

33. Casual Birder - Playdate
    This seems to be one that a lot of people didn't like, but I enjoyed it. Cranking to focus was fun. [6]

34. Pick Pack Pup - Playdate
    Actually decent match-'em up with themes reminiscent of Day Repeat Day, which I thought was strong. [7]

35. Crankin's Time Travel Adventure - Playdate
    Funny, charming, tricky as heck. [6]

36. Direct Drive - Playdate
    Absolutely bloody brilliant and I think it's worth trying to get your hands on a Playdate just to try this - it's one of those games that just marries hardware and software perfectly. [9]

37. Legend of Etad - Playdate
    Another Playdate stunner. This is, yet again, a grid-based first-person dungeon crawler and I have no idea how they got something so fully-featured onto the Playdate. But they did, and i adore it. [9]

38. Reel Steal - Playdate
    It's fishing, but art theft. Cute. [6]

39. Recommendation Dog - Playdate
    It's Guess Who? but with a rolodex. Also cute. [7]

Next: 
    Final Fantasy XVI
    Growing my Grandpa
    Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty 
    He fucked the girl out of me 
    The Forest Quartet 
    Spare Parts: Episode 1 & 2 
    El Paso, Elsewhere
    Unpacking
    BABBDI
    Dotage
    Dungeons and Puzzles
    The Bookwalker
    Chambers of Devious Design
  • Nice. A few games there that I’ve heard of or wanted to play and you’ve given good scores to. Will definitely pick them up.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I’m a Casual Birder hater! Fun fact: the guy that made it did the graphics for the Ballbuster arcade machine in The Bear.

I bought Legend of Etad in early access and I’ve never gone back and done the completed game. Need to do that, loved the first section.

Will have to check out Direct Drive.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Roadwarden! I bought that with some gifted Steam creds a while ago. Need to play it, definitely looks ace!
  • Have you got up to Demon Quest in the Playdate season yet? I loved that one even though it doesn't use the crank
  • Roadwarden! I bought that with some gifted Steam creds a while ago. Need to play it, definitely looks ace!

One of the ones I’ve thought of playing in the last. Sounds good.
  • Have you got up to Demon Quest in the Playdate season yet? I loved that one even though it doesn't use the crank

Not yet. Probably the next Play date game I’ll dive into.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Roadwarden! I bought that with some gifted Steam creds a while ago. Need to play it, definitely looks ace!

One of the ones I’ve thought of playing in the last. Sounds good.

Yeah, properly recommend it. That said, it’s only worth playing when you’re properly in the mood for it - there’s a LOT of reading, and it’s miles from a casual, brain off game.
  • Yeah, I just can't do games with a lot of reading, no matter how good they are. Still haven't gone back to Disco Elysium even.

Bit strange that I'm trying to make a game that involves a fair bit of reading, then.
  • JonB wrote:
    Yeah, I just can't do games with a lot of reading, no matter how good they are. Still haven't gone back to Disco Elysium even. Bit strange that I'm trying to make a game that involves a fair bit of reading, then.

Yeah, I get that. Roadwarden's text isn't as heavy or dense as, say, Disco Elysium. In fact, much of it is written in the style of a D&D DM setting the scene, or a CYOA book. So, it's not so much that the text is heavy, it's more that the text is nearly your entire interaction with that world - it's a purely text-based game, and gameplay consists of Text and Menus, whereas with DE there's also the real-time gameplay side, moving around, looking at things etc. 

I found Roadwarden a far easier time to focus on than DE, though I enjoyed both. For me, Roadwarden is the game I enjoyed more (iirc, DE was a [7] for me, which feels slightly mean in retrospect) and I didn't really struggle that much with it despite often, like you, not getting on with games that are super text heavy. 

That's not to say you would get on with it...you might not. But DE-style thick verbose reams of politically and philosophically-charged text this is not.
  • 2022:
    Final Post

Games reviewed:
    Ready or Not, Can Androids Pray, Bad End Theater, Anger Foot, Bloodborne PSX, Day Repeat Day, Elden Ring, GT7, Horizon: Forbidden West, Emily is Away 3, Fifa 22, Ghostwire: Tokyo, Good Night Knight, There is no Game, Disco Elysium, Cyberpunk 2077, Deep Rock Galactic, YAKLAD, Manifold Garden, Factori, Circadian Dice, Nier Re[in]carnation, The Sexy Brutale, Dragon's Dogma, Vampyr, Rogue Legacy 2, Lair of the Clockwork God, Escape Simulator, Ender Lillies, Rhythm Doctor, Citizen Sleeper, You Have to Win this Game, Narita Boy,, Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion, NORCO, Buck Up and Drive, A Year of Springs, Buddy Game Simulator 1984, Dicey Dungeons, Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order, Grindstone, What the Golf, Reigns, Moonlighter, Ctrl Alt Ego, Tales of Arise, Mini Metro, Gloomwood, Kill it with Fire, Civilization IV, Civilization VI, In Other Waters, Deathloop, Blink

2022-2023 hangovers - finished in 2022, written up in 2023:
    Marvel's GotG, Two Point Campus, Stray, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Peglin, Slay the Spire, Nioh 2, Railway Empire, Catherine: Full Body, Wasteland 3, Subnautica, Death Stranding: Director's Cut

Part 1: Games 1-3 (plus 2022 hangovers) (Judgment, Vampire Survivors, Miles Morales)

Part 2: Games 4-39 (Vaporum: Lockdown, DMC5:SE, Lost Judgment, Roadwarden, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Against the Storm, RE: Village PSVR 2, Tentacular, Destiny 2: The Witch Queen, Destiny 2: Lightfall, Tyranny, Lunacid, Pile Up!, Synapse, Far Cry 6, GTA 5, RE4 Remake, Tchia, Scarlet Nexus, Pistol Whip, Olli Olli World, Nier: Replicant, JETT: The Far Shore, Rune Factory 4: Special, Horizon: Call of the Mountain, DQ11:EoaEAS - Definitive Edition, Legend of Grimrock 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Whitewater Wipeout, Casual Birder, Pick Pack Pup, Crankin's Time Adventure, Direct Drive, Legend of Etad, Reel Steal, Recommendation Dog)

40. Dungeons and Puzzles
    Is it a dungeon crawler? Is it Sokoban? Yes and yes. And, honestly I thought was was kinda fun and cute. Closest comparison is probably Dungeons of Dreadrock, which also married puzzle and Dungeon Crawler, but I honestly think this is the better of the two. 

Using items you pick up is a nice twist on the genre and, as always with Sokoban, minimising moves and optimising routes is half the battle. I played on PC but honestly think this would probably be best on Switch. If you see it on sale (and it ain't expensive) it's a safe purchase. [8]

41. The Bookwalker
    Half first-person 3D RPG, half isometric CRPG, this is a game that I found more impressive than actively enjoyable. The central hook - you are someone who can jump into books and "steal" concepts / people / ideas from them, and bring them back to the real world - is a good one, and the sense of atmosphere is brilliant.

It's hard to find flaws, really, and yet...it just didn't land as well as I think it could have. A low [8] though could have scored a bit lower. 

42. Chambers of Devious Design
    Another Dungeon meets puzzle thing, this time it's a PvE tile placement thingy. This was a nice little distraction - basically, your job is to build a dungeon for your overlord and you do that by linking different types of rooms. However, thing get interesting when you have to consider how rooms interact, how entrances and exits will link, and how you can disrupt your opponents building plans (or adapt to your plans being disrupted). 

It's cute and cartoony, and surprisingly deep. Not earth shattering, and I doubt I will go back, but another decent little indie. [7]

43. Super Corporate Tax Evader - Playdate
    This one was free on itch.io and was super simple. Your job is to shred documents and not get caught. Crank to shred and, when you think someone is about to enter the room and check, you need to put away the irl hardware crank. 

Its one concept, just handled really well. Is it earth shattering? No. But it perfectly Playdate and raised some laughs and, yeah...I had fun with it for a good 15 minutes. [6]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!