Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • 88. Edge of Tomorrow [7]

Really enjoyable, great action. Felt it just stumbled in the final third with a murky ending that felt very convenient. Although finishing your movie with Emily Blunt doing a stetch is no bad thing.

89. Detective Pikachu [7]
    Super charming, its not as funny as it should be but I think it is really well put together for what is a video game movie. Possibly the best one? The Pokemon look and act as they should which is key.

90. The Intern [4]
    I should score this lower as its really throwaway guff (kinda Devil wears Prada without any of the bite and all of the Apple advertising you can manage) but De Niro is oddly compelling. I found him very endering and charming in an otherwise piss poor movie.

I also bought a mac air, iphone and imac after watching this movie....
    SFV - reddave360
  • 52. No One Will Save You
    Taut, tense and almost completely dialogue free scif-fi horror in which a lonely and anxious young woman exiled from her rural community for a childhood crime is forced to take on extraterrestrial invaders of the grey kind. It's short (93 minutes) and fairly relentless, with some at times heavy handed themes but the creature designs are great and the lead is superb, carrying the entire film despite only ever speaking about 4 words. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I binned that off after the fantastic first 20. Found it boring as hell.
  • Same, although we did finish it.
    Spoiler:
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    43. The Woman King
    Historical action based on a unit of all female warriors in early 19th Century Africa. Viola Davis is a suitably strong lead in a slightly meandering film. Probably unsurprisingly I wasn’t familiar with these warriors and it provides an interesting backdrop to inter tribal battles and the Portuguese slave traders active at the time. The downside is the plot is far from unique, employing a far fetched trope and some lazy characterisation. It’s outweighed by a strong cast and well choreographed action sequences but feels a little wasteful. [6]

44. Sonatine
    Another early 90s Takeshi Kitano gangster effort. Having watched a few of these over the last year they do start to blur a little, moreso because of the nature of his characters and the offbeat vibe of the films. I found this one to be less engaging but still with enough impressive moments to find value. The surprising moments of comedy in a fairly bleak landscape are a highlight here, had me properly guffawing at one point. [6]

45. Fire of Love
    Documentary about husband and wife vulcanologists whose approach to unraveling the secrets of volcanoes led to them capturing some of the most impressive footage ever seen at the time. The doc is almost entirely comprised of footage and photos taken by them, along with archive interviews with the pair. It’s an absolutely fascinating story, they clearly feel motivated to take risks in order to better understand and predict volcanic activity to avoid disasters, which leads to the inevitably sad conclusion. It beautifully brings together their personal connection and love of the work, a superb watch. [9]
  • Best Beat Takeshi of that era IMHO is Kikujiro.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    46. Oppenheimer 
    Bit late writing up this one but suffice to say I mostly loved it. The dual story of pre and post-bomb worked really well and it was impressive to see such a big cast all on great form. Murphy rightly dominates, maybe outshined by the technical execution of the overall film.
    Spoiler:
    [9]

47. They Cloned Tyrone
    I didn’t know anything about this going in but turned out to be a pretty fun ride. Foxx was the standout, clearly relishing the role even if the film didn’t quite pull off the conceit by the end. Blanking on more details but well worth a watch. [7]

48. Blue Beetle
    Bit of a mess this one. Started out ok but as it went on the overriding feeling was of a pretty mediocre script that had been punched up by an actual good writer - the snappy lines and laugh out loud moments stood out a mile. The lead guy was just too bland, his story too familiar and the film can’t do anything as well as it wastes budget. Avoid even for the most hardcore DC fan. [3]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Best Beat Takeshi of that era IMHO is Kikujiro.

Good shout, cheers. Looks a bit different too so will check it out.
  • Renfield
    10/10, no notes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Capote Immaculate performance from P S Hoffman and general support all round. Tale of the writing of In Cold Blood.  The story itself is interesting but it's hard not to admire Hoffman's performance along the way.  Truman Capote was an unusual character and with his vocals the performance could have been a train crash but he inhabits the character.

It asks hard questions about Capote's motivations in writing (or at least finshing) this now famous book.

Classy film.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
    Gosh, Tom sure does feel the need to run around and rescue lovely ladies from peril, eh? 
    Spoiler:
    I wonder if there's a "no uggos, all ladies in peril must be lovely" clause, including that random French beat cop from MI6?
    [8]

Equalizer 3
    Denzel reluctantly being a cold motherfucker. If you liked the first 2 this is a reliable third.
    [7]

Ballerina
    Korean Netflix female action revenge flick - bit of an odd one as it's firmly Korean (with the mulling on friendships etc), opening fight sets up the film and main character both as something that they aren't. Some lovely cinematography and a few decent setpiece fights - split between hyperkinectic camera mess near the start but calming down into some longer takes near the end. Lead does a decent enough job, main bad guy is pretty good as well. Seems very "off a time" and has some cool moments, but The Villainess and Kate (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) were more fun.
    [5]
  • 53. Brian & Charles
    Brian is a lonely, broken inventor of ludicrous gadgets (Egg Belt. Trawler nets for shoes) who is inspired to invent a robot best friend/son from bits of junk on a remote Welsh farm. Funny, touching and genuinely strange - it's one of the oddest, uniquely British and most endearing films I've seen for a while. 8
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    53. Brian & Charles Brian is a lonely, broken inventor of ludicrous gadgets (Egg Belt. Trawler nets for shoes) who is inspired to invent a robot best friend/son from bits of junk on a remote Welsh farm. Funny, touching and genuinely strange - it's one of the oddest, uniquely British and most endearing films I've seen for a while. 8

Yep. Watched this on a flight. Endearing sums it up.  I was afraid it was going to be
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Colour of Pomegranates

Supposedly biographic piece of an Eastern European poet. There is next to no narrative here though perhaps a knowledge of the poetry would help. This is a series of beautifully composed tableaus - some static, some with people moving in them like a piece of performance art.

Its reminiscent of something one would stumble on late at night on TV (BBC2 or Ch4) after rolling in from the pub in the late 80s - early 90s.

The scenes are striking and look like works of art. Possibly Fellini-esque in places but this is very much a style of its own. The costumes are stunning. Its oddness kept me watching but I tapped out at 40min.

I may, or may not, go back to it after some investigation. On BFI.
  • 54. Knock at the Cabin
    I'm not 100% sure I liked this. It's a very interesting idea, with some great performances but it's quite poorly executed overall. It doesn't go anywhere as near as far as it needs to to really be a horror and Shyamalan really fucks the ending, which is quite boring for an apolcalypse. It's just missing something that even a great Dave Bautista and Ron Weasley can't elevate it above. 5
  • Yeah it starts intriguing, gets frustrating in going around the houses then kind of just ends.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Equalizer 3

I just fucking love these films. Love em. Denzel.

[9]
  • 55. Blazing Saddles
    The sheriff is near! Still retains the ability to shock, even more so now, with it's unflinching use of racist language. However, it also still one of the greatest satirical takedowns of the fucked up state of race relations in the USA and how the west was really won. Still hilarious, still completely and gloriously absurd and full of quotable lines and superb comic performances. They'll never make them like this anymore. 10.
  • Gremill wrote:
    55. Blazing Saddles The sheriff is near! Still retains the ability to shock, even more so now, with it's unflinching use of racist language. However, it also still one of the greatest satirical takedowns of the fucked up state of race relations in the USA and how the west was really won. Still hilarious, still completely and gloriously absurd and full of quotable lines and superb comic performances. They'll never make them like this anymore. 10.

Normally I mentally chalk these sorts of statements up as hyperbole, but in this case, there's actual proof that you're correct.  Here, in case you missed it, is the trailer for the Blazing Saddles remake that came out last year (at one point called Blazing Samurai, which is lazy, but still better than what they went with...)

What have we become?
  • 91. Margin Call [9]
    Wonderful movie focused on the start of the 2007 mortgage crash. Great cast and script, an amazing first film for director JC Chandor. Very close to a ten for me.

92. Puss in Boots [6]
    While not nearing the quality of the much better sequel, this was still pretty fun for an animated and I'd probably rate it over the Shrek movies. Nothing special but enjoyable enough.

93. Sully: Miracle on the Hudson [6]
    Tight and engaging enough Clint Eastwood movie, for some reason it didnt quite click with me in parts. I cant put my finger on it but despite having good performances and being well directed, it just felt a bit too light. Even the landing set piece scene didnt really grab me.
    SFV - reddave360
  • margin call has a great cast who all bring their A game
    PSN - minkymu
  • 56. Extinction
    Family man Michael Peña is plagued by nightmare visions of an alien invasion and a war for survival. His marriage is falling apart, his kids hate him and his friends think he's losing it. Then aliens invade and start killing everyone and for some reason he doesn't immediately start screaming "I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO!". Entertaining b-movie nonsense with a few great moments, but overall it's just a bit shit and fails to make much of any of the ideas it's trying to present. 6
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Insidious ch.2

Drops the creepy atmosphere for a supernatural adventure yarn. Even has comedy relief. But I quite enjoyed the idea and story. Not what people wanted from a sequel I suspect.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    American Murder : The Family Next Door

Horrific true crime doc consisting mainly of footage from devices. Chris Watts murdered his family and I doubt even he knows why. Baffling, tragic and terrible in equal measure.
  • 57. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)
    Not as shite as I expected it to be. Which is not exactly a compliment, but might be one if you squint a bit. Gore, gore, gore - buckets of it but very little else. It's only 84 minutes which is a bonus, but it can't stand in the shadow of the original (but what can?) and it's ultimately an empty vessel of boring carnage. 4
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Modern Times Strictly this is a rewatch but I hadn't remembered >80% of this.  It's Chaplin's last "tramp" film - he retired the character and then moved onto full on sound films and he never wanted that character to speak.  The film has some speech in it from support roles and a sparingly used suite of sound effects. Chaplin sings a nonsensical song in jibberish.

When I was young I didn't find Chaplin funny but that has changed as I've aged. I found it genuinely funny and Chaplin, in his 40s at this time, was still an accomplished physical act. He was all over this one as usual - writer, director etc. Even wrote the soundtrack and created some of the sound effects. Paulette Goddard , his co-star and muse is genuinely stunningly beautiful in it and her performance is excellent. She went on to have a career in acting after this.

It's a masterpiece. Enough said.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We Still Kill The Old Way

"Old geezers clean up the area after their leader's brother gets killed by scumbags". This could have been rather good but the tone is all over the place. There's light comedy that gets undermined by the grimness of the actions. Shallow as a paddling pool , it would have been all right had it been more balanced. Pity. Still it didn't hang around and overstay its welcome and the old faces are enjoyable in their performances.

But it also didn't give us a gratifying death of the lead scumbag who if anything is over played in his odiousness. And it had the cheek to claim lineage to The Italian Job at the end.

Harry Brown showed how this could have been done. Although both films don't know what to do with cops in the script.
  • 116. Black Christmas
    Always weird to watch the gamechanger films. A movie doing stuff that is then copied until the end of time. I thought this would be a bit more throwaway in terms of character work and story but it's really a complete package and a lot of fun.
    [8]

117. When Evil Lurks
    Very gruesome yes. But it doesn't really nail it for me. It both under-explains and over-explains it's world which means it's the worst of both. I also didn't care what happened to anyone because the characters are pretty bland. A shame really because it could have been a solid one. It also wasn't creepy at all, at least Terrified was creepy at times.
    [5]

118. V/H/S/85
    Like most of these, a bit hit and miss but largely solid. The only short that gets the brief was the Derrickson one though. For some reason so many of the directors feel the need to build up from normal to horror scenario when you can just go straight into scary. Unless you're gonna go nuts like the one in VHS2 spend less time doing nothing.
    [6]

119.Past Lives
    A beautiful, quiet film about life choices and the paths we've taken. Stunning cinematography and great performances and under 2 hours! Wonderful.
    [9]

DS should watch When Evil Lurks though. I think he'll appreciate the gruey of it.
    Found out that the lake short in VHS is by the guy who did the recent Wrong Turn, now I understand why the violence was so punchy in it. He's good at that stuff.
  • 58. Knowing
    Nicholas Cage is some kind of professor who finds out that the world is about to end after finding a list of numbers in a time capsule from the 1950s. The numbers correspond to every major disaster across known records and the numbers are running out. Ludicrous end of the world nonsense that either redeems itself in the last 30 minutes or completely jumps the shark, or both. Absolutely fucking mental, but great fun if you just go with it's blend of conspiracy, Judeo-Christian mythology and tinfoil hat craziness. 7
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    What?! Even by modern Cage standards that film is trash. You’ve let yourself down there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!