Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • Goddammit unintentional bit of casual racism right there, honest guv!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • “What if Infernal Affairs, but geese?

HONK.
  • Yes.  Now you'll never know mwahahahaha
  • Billy Mitchell's got that bumper sticker.
  • I watched Ninth Gate over the last couple of days and despite it's shortcomings, really enjoyed it. Going to do Angel Heart next I think as we're on a bit of a satanic noir detective thing atm (further suggestions appreciated).

Anyway, I was googling around and reading up about Ninth Gate afterwards, as I like to do when I finish a film, and I came across this Den of Geek article - am I alone I'm thinking this is a pretty bad take?

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-ninth-gate-1999-lookbackreview/
    Polanski exiled himself from America after committing a sinister act, probably as a result of the trauma he endured after the slaughter of his wife and unborn child

I don't mean to drag this into some kind of non-film discussion, but the man anally raped a 13yo didn't he? Article seems to be incredibly dismissive of that. Exiled himself or fled prosecution? I've read a fair bit of DoG and this just stood out as a wtf to me.
  • 64. Beau is Afraid
    A comprehensively baffling 3 hour anxiety nightmare by Ari Aster (Midsommar) and starring a typically committed Joachim Phoenix as Beau - a severely troubled and cripplingly anxious middle aged man living in fear of...pretty much everything. He has to go and visit his mum, but everything that can go wrong does - in the worst possible way. The whole film is the classic heroes journey template if the hero was to make all the wrong decisions, have the worst luck imaginable, learn nothing and have every single thing he thinks and does misunderstood by everyone he comes into contact with. Like your classic heroes journey stories (The Odyssey, Lord of the Rings, Apocalypse Now etc) it's bloated and overlong - but I think even that may be intentional. At times horrific, disturbing, cringe inducing, darkly funny and completely incomprehensible it's a pretty challenging watch. If you try and make it make any real kind of narrative sense, you'll probably hate it - because it makes very little sense - but it's a lot easier to 'enjoy' if you just let it happen to you and appreciate the absurdity. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • nick_md wrote:
    I watched Ninth Gate over the last couple of days and despite it's shortcomings, really enjoyed it. … I came across this Den of Geek article - am I alone I'm thinking this is a pretty bad take?

Yeah, that’s a fucking bad take. Clearly just a writer who wanted to enjoy his wank about the film without considering Polanski being a shitbag. Classic case of separating the art from the artist because it suits him to.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My Neighbour Totoro

Very little happens in this but its charm trumps that. The animation of the kids, particularly the elder girl is adorable and superbly observed - I felt a pang of nostalgia back to being a kid myself. Beautiful beguiling piece of work.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Just so we're all clear - Polanski is an irredeemable cunt and should be jailed.
  • Barbie. watched with the mrs. She got bored just over half way through. I was grateful.

What a weird turd of a film. Hyped to heaven and absolutely shit.

Dear of dear
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Two Popes  I was attracted to this by the two leads - Anthony Hopkins as Benedict and Jonathan Pryce as Francis.

Marvellous, ultimately partially speculative, Netflix production set around the time leading up to Benedict's retirement. Beautifully produced and the two leads are superb.
  • 51. Anatomy of a Fall - 30 Nov
    Palm D'Or winning courtroom family drama where the wife of a man found dead is under suspicion of murder. Neither tense nor gripping as I expected it to be, but rather there was plenty on family dynamics and relationships.
    [7]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I was tempted by that but was slightly put off by the running time. Did you feel it dragged?
  • No funnily enough, I think the pacing was fine. Just lacked impact for me.
  • 12 Angry Men it ain’t.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Fair enough, thanks. Will add it to the list.
  • Love me a horror anthology I do, so we watched A Field Guide To Evil (2018) over the last couple of nights, a bunch of folklore-y horror shorts from directors around the world including that Peter Strickland who's done some things that are meant to be good but I haven't seen.

Anyway, the missus thought it was rubbish because she likes more to endings than each of the stories really gave (she enjoyed pretty much every story during the time but declared the whole lot rubbish at the end, which she'll often do such is her right). I enjoyed it though and only one of the stories really felt shit (the US one, came off like a cheap CH5 sci-fi episode of something). There was some great settings and one monster in particular was striking and has stayed with me still.

I can agree with the wife in that if you want your horror shorts to have satisfying endings, this may not be the ride for you, but if you like some folk horror taking in different countries and time periods, give it a punt.

It's on Freevee.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    79. Whisper of the Heart
    Another charming Ghibli effort, this one from the mid-90s and is a story about first love between two high schoolers. It's an absolute joy and never ceases to be impressive how well the various talent at Ghibli consistently capture family and friend dynamics in a variety of settings from the everyday to the fantastical. This is one the former end of the spectrum but the raw emotion of young love and first relationships is palpable throughout, supported by well realised characters and the ever present beautiful design. Thoroughly enjoying catching up on the catalogue and shall be disappointed when it's over but I suspect this is one I'll be revisiting. [8]

80. Napoleon
    Well this was a weird film. In that I didn't expect it to be weird but it very much was, for me at least. I don't know much of the detailed history of Napoleon's life or what he was supposedly like so can't speak to the accuracy of any of it but the film is very much centred on his relationship with Josephine (his lover, wife, empress, ex). Phoenix portrays Napoleon as an odd character to say the least - awkward, clumsy, childish and a host of other descriptors that make it difficult to see how he gains the power and, more importantly, respect that is shown in the film. There's hints of his superior tactical nouse but almost played down. The details of his fractious relationship with Josephine also seem to take precedence over seemingly important moments in his life - exploring their unhealthy dynamics whilst the catastrophic Russian invasion and exile is reduced to a few short scenes.
    The battles dotted throughout vary in scale but are as impressive as you'd expect from Scott, despite a few very ropey CGI moments, and are some of the strongest moments of the film, both in terms of the look and because Napoleon isn't acting like a total dork. Overall it felt like a highlights package, moving too quickly and whilst there's a huge amount to cover in his life other biopics manage it much better. It's full of odd choices (even down to random cameos popping up) and feels like the wrong focus to me but perhaps partly my own expectations are a factor there. I probably won't revisit the 4 hour cut that's supposedly dropping on Apple TV at some point. [5]
  • I love Whisper of the Heart!  Not one to listen to much music, it introduced me to Country Road and I loved it!
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yes and the various interpretations of the song throughout were great actually.
  • 65. How it Ends
    It ends shitely, like the rest of this incredibly boring apocalypse movie. Frustrating, over long, with a TV movie sheen and pedestrian 'action', this reaches for mysterious and enigmatic but barely attains competent. 2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It was mentioned above but Angel Heart is a really difficult watch at the nest of times. Buckle up
  • nick_md wrote:
    Love me a horror anthology I do, so we watched A Field Guide To Evil (2018) over the last couple of nights, a bunch of folklore-y horror shorts from directors around the world including that Peter Strickland who's done some things that are meant to be good but I haven't seen.

Anyway, the missus thought it was rubbish because she likes more to endings than each of the stories really gave (she enjoyed pretty much every story during the time but declared the whole lot rubbish at the end, which she'll often do such is her right). I enjoyed it though and only one of the stories really felt shit (the US one, came off like a cheap CH5 sci-fi episode of something). There was some great settings and one monster in particular was striking and has stayed with me still.

I can agree with the wife in that if you want your horror shorts to have satisfying endings, this may not be the ride for you, but if you like some folk horror taking in different countries and time periods, give it a punt.

It's on Freevee.

You should definitely watch Peter Strickland's stuff!
    Start with Berberian Sound Studio or In Fabric. Both are excellent and creepy. I still haven't seen all his stuff but mean to as he is a very unique filmmaker
  • The Kill Room
    What if an art dealer laundered money for a hitman and it turned out he was actually a brilliant artist? Uma Therman chews the scenery so hard in this that she matches up to Samuel L Jackson’s comedy beard. It’s funny, it’s trashy, and I enjoyed it.
  • 66. Die Hard
    First Christmas movie of the season (Yes, it's a fucking Xmas movie). Just the fucking best - iconic and genre defining, it's still a superb watch. 10
  • Anyone who eye rolls at Die Hard ever can go in the bin. Such a relentlessly ridiculous movie. I'm stingy with 10s for films for reasons I've never understood but it's close.
  • Just watched Die Hard with the daughter. So good.

Agreed, 10.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saltburn This is getting knocks but I think the knockers don't get it. Geoghan is superb in this jet black psycho comedy. Dark isn't saying anywhere near enough.
  • davyK wrote:
    Saltburn This is getting knocks but I think the knockers don't get it. Geoghan is superb in this jet black psycho comedy. Dark isn't enough.

Tee hee
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm constantly impressed by Barry Keoghan, not only his acting ability but his choice of roles. He doesn't seem to have done anything purely for the paycheck yet, all solid films.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!