Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • Yeah there are people I would not recommend it to, wouldn't be a good experience. Please watch Babylon btw if you haven't Grem. Put it on again now and loving jt.
    Never heard of it, but it's by Damian Chazelle and has a great cast so I'm in!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Memoria is pretty hard to describe. Tilda Swinton's Jessica is hearing a noise that no-one else can and her search for its meaning leads her into a very odd sequence of encounters. To explain more is to spoil. It's made by Thai director Apichatpong Weerasethakul and its his first English language film. It looks beautiful. The shots are long and the film has a glacial pace but there is something about it that kept me watching.  On BFI.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 56. Beau is Afraid
    Well he went full Kaufman when I don't think even Kaufman goes full Kaufman. Not sure to think of this but it's quite a thing. Not sure where to score it either. I'm glad people get to make weird shit like this though
    [8]

Saw it and ago back in merry old London. I enjoyed it. I think the first section is the strongest but I was happy to go on the weird odyssey.
    Recommend listening to the A24 podcast with Joaquin and Aster. It's an interesting conversation.

Been meaning to watch Babylon. Maybe next week. Same with Red Rooms. Very keen to watch that although I think last time I looked it was only available in 720p from the places and that's why I was waiting. Will have another look
  • davyK wrote:
    Memoria is pretty hard to describe. Tilda Swinton's Jessica is hearing a noise that no-one else can and her search for its meaning leads her into a very odd sequence of encounters. To explain more is to spoil. It's made by Thai director Apichatpong Weerasethakul and its his first English language film. It looks beautiful. The shots are long and the film has a glacial pace but there is something about it that kept me watching.  On BFI.

Was keen for this too. Tilda Swinton can carry any film.
  • Saw it in the cinema. Would recommend.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Watched Parents (1989) over the last few days and whilst it has its problems, I found it very watchable and the off kilter vibe it has was great, plus Randy Quaid was excellent. It's about a 50s family in California where the kid suspects something's not right with his parents. Not massively creepy, but again the vibe was great imo. Short as well, like 80mins. Available on Freevee.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Watched Parents (1989) over the last few days and whilst it has its problems, I found it very watchable and the off kilter vibe it has was great, plus Randy Quaid was excellent. It's about a 50s family in California where the kid suspects something's not right with his parents. Not massively creepy, but again the vibe was great imo. Short as well, like 80mins. Available on Freevee.

Just watched this while 'working' as never heard of it before.

Suitably batshit 80s ting. That sink scene was class too. Enjoyed it even if it is a little obvious where its headed. Some mad weird dialogue in there from.the young girl 'friend' also. Worth a watch, cheers for the rec.
  • Yeah that young girl friend angle didn't really go anywhere did it? Like I said film has its problems but I enjoyed it. The wiki page has some critic likening it to Blue Velvet I think and I can deffo see it being kept in the same off-kilter 50s-ish vibe setting horror-ish section of the video shop.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye defo feels like some straight to video drug induced plot kinda release. Quaid is great in it as well, real odd fucker.
  • Uncharted.

One out of ten and I think I’m being generous. Completely awful.
  • Ha I was convinced everyone was being too harsh on that and it'd be an okay romp but yeah, it was pretty bad.
  • I had similar thoughts prior to watching. I know reviews weren’t wonderful and most people said it wasn’t great, but it can’t be that bad can it?

Yes, yes it can. Shockingly poor film, with a crap soundtrack. Very few people seemed to be able to act, Chloe in particular was terrible as was Sully, but that’s just Mark Wahlberg. It was an action film, without any exciting action pieces,  a woeful script and zero plot.
  • It's amazing how badly the fucked up translating a game series that is so close to a movie.

Good job Sony are handling the Zelda movie. I'm sure they'll do a brilliant job of it.
  • 136. The Boy and the Heron
    Hard to know where to score this. I think if I wanted to pick nits I could but really it's a new Miyazaki and it's stunning to look at and the setting is cool and interesting and I just really enjoyed it.
    [9]
  • I suggest not watching a trailer for it but if you must the 1 minute Japanese one doesn't give much away.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fanny and Alexander 5hr cut

Looks glorious on the Criterion BluRay. This is almost an annual watch for me - the first hour being a Christmas party, the remaining four and a bit being a Dickensian fantasy/ghost family saga.  It's hard to think of a better wicked stepfather than The Bishop.

Marvellous mystical beautiful thing to behold.

I think both 5 and 3 hr versions are on BFI.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And I thought Oppenheimer was taking the piss at 3 hours...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    F&A was actually a 5 part TV series but it's often viewed as a film. There's a 3hr cut for cinema but the director felt he had cut it too much.

google Satantango
  • 55. Hana-Bi [a.k.a. Fireworks] - 8 Dec
    'Beat' Takeshi Kitano wrote, directed and edited this Golden Lion winner. He plays a cop with a traumatic family backdrop and debts with the yakuza, brilliantly and subtly underplaying an unhinged and almost psychopathic character. The film feels poignant and devastating with small touching moments of mirth that also bring a smile, with a lovely score by Joe Hisaishi.
    [8]
  • Real golden period for Kitano that. So many bangers around that time.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Mubi has a few more that I'll check out.  I think the only other film with him that I saw was Battle Royale.
  • Have you seen the Kim Justice Beat Takeshi video? Worth a look.
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyo5a7QFgtQ&pp=ygUYQmVhdCB0YWtlc2hpIGtpbSBqdXN0aWNl

Forum's doing that thing where I have to keep refreshing to embed properly and I can't be bothered.  Hopefully that works.
  • Sonatine and Brother are both great in the Takeshi Gangster theme (the first better than the latter though), Kikujiro is awesome as well but not traditional “violent gangster” stuff, more a dark kids road movie if that makes sense. Zatoichi is cracking samurai action with some quirky Takeshi style and moments.
  • Violent Cop as well. He does a good line in slapping crims round the head whilst asking them questions.
  • Heard of all of those.  Will watch.  And ah yes, how can I forget Zatoicihi, saw that at the cinema!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Godzilla Minus One at my local Odeon.

Marvellous stuff. It's kind of a proper film but with a monster in it.  In many ways like the original. At times it is stunningly good - the first breath attack and its aftermath are genuinely shocking. Big G being a metaphor of a nuclear strike on full view; enabled by the modern filmmaking tech. I like the Legendary films but they pale here - Hollywood just can't do this any more.

The post WW2 setting looks great too with the old school battleships having at it. Great use of sound and its absence and there's bits of the original G tune. It's JP so it's quirky but I have to recommend it.
  • Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget

Chicken run sequel now on Netflix. Much better than I expected, kids really enjoyed it and it kept all three of them entertained for the full run time.
    Quite a few laughs for me too. Some lovely little gags and retains all of the Britishness of the original.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Just watched that.
    Good stuff, true to itself which is great. No Netflix interference with the formula.

Kids and fans of the original should all enjoy it.

Spiderman: No Way Home
    Extended version but no idea what was added other than the three Spiderman actors doin a zoom call at the start thanking the audience for.making it possible like it's a Kickstarter and not part of the Hollywood machine.

Anyway

Enjoyed it more than the first watch. I still think there is too much going on and a lot of the emotion in the middle of the movie gets lost in it all.

Can't deny Dafoe and Ohanian ham up the villainy well.

Tom Holland's Spiderman is Marvel's best asset now even if they only half own it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!