Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Just make sure you skip The Last Airbender.
  • Haven't even seen the first
  • Lion is good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Copperfield is magic.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I c what u did ther
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Now you don't.
  • :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Finished off the sci-fi anime Godzilla trilogy with Godzilla: The Planet Eater (2018). Unexpectedly, a death cult betrays humanity by summoning the omnicidal monster Ghidorah to Earth. With even the mighty Godzilla floundering in the face of Ghidorah’s power, how will humanity prevail?

While this is still an adequate romp, I think these films got progressively worse as they went on. In this one, Ghidorah is so overwhelmingly powerful that it is basically an entirely fantastical creature. So not only does the social commentary, which by the end of the second film was already hanging on by a thread, pretty much entirely disappear, but the sci-fi element i.e. this trilogy’s entire reason for existing, goes out the window as well. The human characters do very little in this and spend most of the film just reacting to things. On a positive note though, the ending is genuinely quite interesting and pulls things back.

First film was a low four stars for me, second film was a high three stars. This one was a low-to-mid three stars.

Like I said with the others, these films are interconnected enough that it isn’t worth bothering with any unless you’re going to commit to all three. Overall, the trilogy was OK. If you just want some rompy Godzilla sci-fi anime fun then you’ll be fine. If you watch these hoping for something on a par with Shin Godzilla and Godzilla Minus One then you’ll be disappointed.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Monkey Man looks incredible. Patel was great in Hotel Mumbai but David Copperfield is one of my all time favourite films. It's superb.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Wheelman on Netflix is pretty good. The whole film is basically set in a car and it's a little bit B movie in all the right ways.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Patel was great in Hotel Mumbai

Oh, that hotel film! (The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel definitely didn't come to my mind first).
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ritchie does Inglorious Basterds? Oh go on then.

• New on Netflix is The Greatest Night In Pop.
    A documentary covering the recording of "we are the world" in 1985. Narrated by Lionel Richie and featuring some incredible footage of some of the biggest names in pop music in the same room together for one night only.
    Lionel Richie, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Stevie wonder, Prince, Springsteen, Smokey Robinson, Kenny Rogers, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles... The list goes on.

It's great
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Good guy, good guy, wank...
  • Tak Sakaguchi has another daft slice of action out: 

Seems very much in the same vein as Re:Born - still doing the funny wibbly-wobbly arms "Zero Range Combat" style him and that other fella came up with, still dodging bullets, but looks quite fun.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just watched King Kong (1933). I honestly think it’s a real triumph of filmmaking - only five years after the first full-sound film and three years after Hollywood phased out silent film, you have this - a film that’s as spectacular a special effects fest as anything you’d see today, just rendered with the techniques they had at the time instead of CGI. Kong and the dinosaurs are dynamic and they interact convincingly with their environments and the human characters. Kong is a fantastic villain - he fucks up dinosaurs, throws half a ship’s crew to their brutal deaths in a ravine, tears people’s heads off and even derails a subway car and murders its passengers just to be a dick. It’s weirdly engaging for such an old film - perhaps because there was no formula for special effects films at the time so no way for it to feel formulaic or tropey. Well worth a watch - it’s aged much better than I thought it would. ★★★★★
  • Haven't seen it for a while but it's great. It's the 70s one I'm worried about rewatching - I remember liking it many years ago.
  • Missed All Of Us Strangers on Wednesday cos had to take mum to hospital. Today, the cinema had technical fault so was closed and I got a refund. No idea if it’s still snowing next week. 

Took me 3 attempts recently to see a movie in the cinema.

FML.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just an FYI but my local IMAX has Dune Part I back in next weekend.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Just watched King Kong (1933). I honestly think it’s a real triumph of filmmaking - only five years after the first full-sound film and three years after Hollywood phased out silent film, you have this - a film that’s as spectacular a special effects fest as anything you’d see today, just rendered with the techniques they had at the time instead of CGI. Kong and the dinosaurs are dynamic and they interact convincingly with their environments and the human characters. Kong is a fantastic villain - he fucks up dinosaurs, throws half a ship’s crew to their brutal deaths in a ravine, tears people’s heads off and even derails a subway car and murders its passengers just to be a dick. It’s weirdly engaging for such an old film - perhaps because there was no formula for special effects films at the time so no way for it to feel formulaic or tropey. Well worth a watch - it’s aged much better than I thought it would. ★★★★★

Watched it a year or so ago. Its.a superb film. Imagine seeing it in the cinema back then. Its influenced so many tropes too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just watched The Shop Around the Corner (1940), a classic rom-com. This was the December pick at the community cinema club I go to but I missed it and thought I’d catch up. It stars James Stewart, who would later star in another enduring Christmas-themed classic, A Wonderful Life. Apparently it’s fairly high on various lists of the best films of all time. I thought it was a perfectly cromulent, perfectly charming little film and mildly entertaining… but not a new favourite for me. ★★★★☆
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Watched No Hard Feelings with Jennifer Lawrence, what a terrible movie, going for an adult comedy, and was so flat and dull.

Worst part being:
    Spoiler:

Mathew Broderick plays the Dad of the young boy being seduced by Jennifer, just watch Ferris Bueller instead, trust me.
    Things can only get better.
  • Sounds terrible. Will have to give it a watch just to be certain.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yup, spoiler bit sounds absolutely terrible. I'll add it to my watchlist.
  • I really wanted to like it, but yeah it was pretty dull. Apart from that bit in the restaurant where he has to play piano, that was genuine pathos right there. But the rest was shite, which is a pity cos Jennifer Lawrence seems so nice in real life.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Still, it has a role for Prince Achileas-Andreas of Greece and Denmark, so there's that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Took delivery of Criterion BluRay of Persona yesterday. This only plays in region free players since for some reason this film can't be bought in the UK unless it's part of a BFI boxset. I'm trying to keep what I buy physical very low, hence this.

Haven't watched the film yet (on this disc - I've watched the Tartan DVD a couple of times over the years) but one of the supplements on the disc is a video essay of the bizarre prologue. It makes for interesting viewing.

Here's the prologue itself:-

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just watched The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953). In terms of production, this is a bit like King Kong: The Next Generation - the effects on this film were done by Ray Harryhausen in his first job as lead effects person. Harryhausen was the protege of Willis H. O'Brien, the special effects pioneer who created the effects for King Kong.

Following a nuclear test in the Arctic, a dinosaur is unleashed alive from its tomb of ice. Causing a trail of destruction down the east coast of Canada and America, the dinosaur eventually terrorises New York City in the climactic scenes. The plot of the film notably foreshadows that of the legendary Godzilla, released 18 months later.

It has to be said that, despite being released over 20 years later, this feels more of an incremental rather than generational step forward from King Kong. The effects are slightly more fluid and feel more in keeping with the frame rate of the live action, and there is a sequence where the dinosaur shares a shot with a blazing inferno, which was presumably technically difficult to produce. But the effects shots feel more sparse than King Kong and the interface between the animation and live action doesn’t feel as strong - there are lots of shots of the live action characters reacting to the dinosaur in complete separate shots instead of the frequent hybrid sequences that King Kong had.

The plot is also more of a generic yarn than King Kong with fewer ideas and less emotional intensity. The cast are good though and the love interest, Lee Hunter, has lots of striking high-contrast outfits that look great in black-and-white.

In 2024, this has the luxury of being able to coast along on its 1950s charm. I’m not sure I would have been overly impressed with it had I watched it at release. ★★★★☆
  • https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1755959348734341534?t=h54ahCsYdI8cCuBF8ZAXjA&s=19

Considering my love for Wil-e-Coyote (one of my only memories of my grandpa is laughing together watching Loony Tunes cartoons) I'm going to be pretty bummed if this film never sees the light of day. Even just that screenshot looks like a fun film to watch.

If it does get shelved I hope that this is one that leaks it's way out Deadpool test footage style. Wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Must be devastating to finish a film and then not be able to show people.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Watched The Marvels (2023). Slightly worried I’m going to be ridiculed… for thinking this was… OK, actually? It’s pretty fun, the narrative is reasonably coherent despite the conceit of the characters constantly switching places and it had some perfectly cromulent emotional beats and ending.

Some pretty major caveats - I think this does kinda require the audience to be reasonably up-to-date with their Marvel stuff, to its detriment as a standalone film (at one point a character from a different Marvel story thread randomly shows up with literally no context provided for the casual viewer, which I think is indicative of where these things have ended up). And I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever about not seeing this in the cinema.

But it’s nowhere near the worst MCU project, nor the most deserving of bombing at the box office - it’s at the lower end of good, for me. I think the people who were saying they planned on watching it in the superhero thread will get what they wanted from it. They need to cut down on the required reading though - it’s not surprising a lot of people found this a hard sell given you genuinely need to watch a bunch of other stuff first to get the most out of it. ★★★★☆

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!