Movie Record 2024 Edition
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched is a 3hr deep dive of the folk horror genre.  Starts with the British 70s ones like The Wicker Man but then moves across the globe , drawing common threads and themes and building a gigantic list of films (and books) to check out.  Comprehensive, well made and very watchable throughout.  On Prime.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ban The Sadist Videos  Documentary covering the video nasties era and its aftermath. Well made and exposes a great deal of the sometime well meaning and at others time populist bandwagoning over the controversy that surrounded the early-to-mid 80s boom in gore-horror films.  On Prime.

Time to actually watch some films now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.  I remember back then getting to watch some of them (I was 16 in 1982) and they were pretty much all fucking dreadful. Boring as fuck. Cue much fast forwarding to the gory bits which were usually pretty shit too. :)

The most whacked out one I ever saw was called Nightmares in a damaged brain (think it was - they all ran into each other to be honest). Completely unwatchable dross but also total goretastic.

Best in class was Evil Dead (which I didn't count as a nasty) and Brian Damage (ditto).
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Migration

Illumination attempt to spread their wings (geddit) from those pesky minions and create an enjoyable comedy with some colourful characters.
  • Saw that yesterday. Thought it lost its way when they introduced the maniacal cook but I liked the first half.
  • Olimite wrote:
    Migration Illumination attempt to spread their wings (geddit) from those pesky minions and create an enjoyable comedy with some colourful characters.

Did you like it?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK wrote:
    Heh.  I remember back then getting to watch some of them (I was 16 in 1982) and they were pretty much all fucking dreadful. Boring as fuck. Cue much fast forwarding to the gory bits which were usually pretty shit too. :)

The most whacked out one I ever saw was called Nightmares in a damaged brain (think it was - they all ran into each other to be honest). Completely unwatchable dross but also total goretastic.

Best in class was Evil Dead (which I didn't count as a nasty) and Brian Damage (ditto).

Adding Nightmares to the watchlist. Also the wiki took me to a 2021 effort called Censor which sounds good.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Saw that yesterday. Thought it lost its way when they introduced the maniacal cook but I liked the first half.

He needed some character (or to be introduced much earlier).
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Olimite wrote:
    Migration Illumination attempt to spread their wings (geddit) from those pesky minions and create an enjoyable comedy with some colourful characters.

Did you like it?

6/10

• Ach, thanks.  Not good enough to take the kids to see it then, cinema trips cost a lot!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Brought daughter and friend to migration at the weekend. Spent more on the 2 two popcorn, 3 drinks and bag of malteasers than the tickets. Film is OK, nice enough to snooze to.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    8. John Carter of Mars I know it should be a less than average film and I know it was a flop when it released but there is something so perfectly executed about this film that it makes me think of those films like The Time Machine and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea when I was a kid. They nailed the feeling of adventure. It didn’t need a massive back story, we know all we need to know about Carter in a few flashbacks. I just think it’s the perfect Sunday afternoon movie. Even though I watched it on a Tuesday night. [8]

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That was panned but it's much better than some of the shite getting released now
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Agreed. Quite enjoyed it and one of those harshly judged at the time but perfectly entertaining.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Boondock Saints Quirky bloodthirsty vigilante caper with an at times Lock Stock feel to it (both films made in '99 so maybe something was in the air).  Willem Dafoe is having a ball in this and there's appearances by Billy Connolly and Ron Jeremy! A bit daft at times but I found it very entertaining.
  • Nolan Batman Trilogy
    These are all great, yeah even Rises.
    My favourite thing is the end when Michael Caine finally gets his wish to see Master Bruce living a good life across a cafe in Europe. Not that exact scene although I do really like Michale Caine in general in these. Its that he has ordered a sherry.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Rises is good in hindsight. My best friend thinks it's cinema perfection, he claims he never expects Bruce to get out of the pit on any watch.
  • Its the least superhero-y of the three. (despite all the superhero bits)
    Taken as a character piece instead its much better.
    Caine genuinely had me welling up a bit at times, the speech where he describes his want to see Bruce at the cafe is heart breaking.

It didnt have a hope in hell following Dark Knight back at release though.
  • Rises is great.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Nolan Batman Trilogy
    These are all great, yeah even Rises.
    My favourite thing is the end when Michael Caine finally gets his wish to see Master Bruce living a good life across a cafe in Europe. Not that exact scene although I do really like Michale Caine in general in these. Its that he has ordered a sherry.

He orders a Fernet Branca. A liquor.

Not sure why I remember that. It is referred to earlier in the film. But yeah.... Caine is great in it. And I like the Trilogy a great deal.

• The Fablemans
    Absolutely loved this.
    I'm a sucker for Americana which helps a lot but it is good regardless.
    Brilliant cast especially the Lynch cameo.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I fucking loved The Fabelmens. Spielberg can manipulate me all day.
  • I had a feeling you would have liked it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What's that mean huh liv
  • It means you're a man of taste.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dead Man Walking Powerhouse performances from Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon.  Nearly 30 years old this is and I've never watched it before even though I knew about its reputation. Heavy stuff but it's compelling and thought provoking viewing.  I've long been a believer that executions shouldn't be carried out and this can challenge anyone on my side of the argument.
  • nick_md wrote:
    davyK wrote:

Adding Nightmares to the watchlist. Also the wiki took me to a 2021 effort called Censor which sounds good.

Censor is good. It fits into the lady psychological horror genre that's so hot these days. Its not as good as Saint Maud, Resurrection or Red Rooms but if you haven't watched those recently then it'll make it a better watch.

I didn't mind the Fabelmans. Didn't love it. But it definitely stepped up a notch for me with that ending.
  • The Outfit
    Nice little slow-burn gangster thriller set in a tailor’s* shop in 1950s Chicago. Beautifully played, understated, but not subtle. Nods to all the good clichés. Could easily have been staged as a play instead of a movie though.

*He’s not a tailor, he’s a cutter.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Liked the look of this from the trailer. What’s it available on?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!