Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    5/9  
    Best was a 19% which flatters me.

Gave up - no idea what Jolie was in - didn't think you could re-use a film otherwise I'd have got another one of hers right.  Know feck all about animations so didn't do too bad.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    My best was a 3% Streep 4 words with
    Spoiler:

That’s nice. I was mainly coming up with a plethora of 3 word answers. I randomly got 3% for 
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    SEE YOU ALL TOMORROW

The one that was the least obscure was the one that took me the longest - an animated Meeta Streep movie.

Got a couple of 3% scores, but I’ll be honest - they were mostly thanks to the predictive text thing offering me obscure sequels….
  • These were mine:
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Cracking scores there mind
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What did you guess for the Streep $100M?
  • I didn't, I tried The Breadwinner for Jolie animated and it said no. So I assume it just wants acting credits, not producer.  I'd probably have gone with Death Becomes Her if I'd had a guess left.
  • I guessed Death Becomes Her,
    Spoiler:
  • Scoring’s interesting looking at the most commonly guessed results. I went with a couple of popular ones but in categories that people didn’t use.
    Spoiler:

So - lots of strategy to can use even if you only think of famous stuff…
  • I got a 5% shot for Meryl Streep. It surprised me like I thought it was one of her most famous films

I got a 8% on Robin Williams and it was bloody 
    Spoiler:
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Evil Dead Trap (1988) - TV host Nami is the star of a late-night show that broadcasts home video clips that people have sent in. However, one day she receives a gruesome and rather convincing snuff film shot at an abandoned military base. She takes a small crew to investigate but horror ensues.

This is pretty well produced in many respects but the writing is really uninspired and mediocre. There are also some weird quirks to it - one of the secondary characters is played by an adult actress the studio wanted to try to showcase as a legitimate actress, who has a gratuitous sex scene early in the film. There are also uncomfortable overtones of misogyny, with the earlier objectifying scene joined by a gratuitous rape scene later in the film.

This won some praise upon release and as a physical production it is competent with some decent horror effects. However, the script just has no real spark of inspiration behind it and lets it down. ★★★☆☆
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Titane.

Not for me, just thought it was ridiculous. Not thrilling or scary in the slightest, just seemed like an eighties b-movie. Dreadful.
  • You can be blasé about some things, Skond, but not about Titane.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I didn’t really understand the rules of that film quiz first time round. Now I do and look forward to having another go tomorrow.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    Titane.

Not for me, just thought it was ridiculous. Not thrilling or scary in the slightest, just seemed like an eighties b-movie. Dreadful.

Oh Skondo.

Oh Skondo my dear.
  • I had a go at that Vulture game and got 2,637. Basically just going for the least obvious answers I could think of.

Managed really low percentages on all but the final corner - I got a 30% for the animated Angelia Jolie film and it fucked my average.
    Spoiler:

It told me I was in the top 0% of players, so I think it’s borked.
  • Ended up doing a double bill of rewatches last night, Gone Girl then Prisoners. Maybe GG doesn't hold up after these years but Prisoners definitely does. Forgot how much I enjoyed it. She was bored by it though. Ridiculous.
  • Only seen Prisoners once but thought it was incredible.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ended up doing a double bill of rewatches last night, Gone Girl then Prisoners. Maybe GG doesn't hold up after these years but Prisoners definitely does. Forgot how much I enjoyed it. She was bored by it though. Ridiculous.

Im the other way round, bizarrely. I think GG is up there in the most unsettling Fincher movies nowadays.
  • She couldn't get over Jake's blinking but I am absolutely a Gyllenhaal apologist (despite me really not liking Donnie Darko)
  • Will concede Pike is still absolutely incredible in Gone Girl. Truly amazing. It's other bits of it don't quite hit as well today.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Will concede Pike is still absolutely incredible in Gone Girl. Truly amazing. It's other bits of it don't quite hit as well today.

The
    Spoiler:
    is something that will never leave my brain, truly unhinged Se7en editing with Reznor and Ross making it worse.

Prisoners seems a bit gimmicky today, but I'm with you on big Jake. I'll even go see Road House.
  • Gone Girl remains a favourite, for me. Of its time, but that’s not a bad thing at all.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Dune: Part Two (2024) - Another two-and-three-quarter hours of leisurely-paced desert action. Some people were going really apeshit over this after the screening finished, I thought it was fine? It was fine.

I enjoyed it more than the original, which felt like a movie-length prologue. Stuff actually happens, plot threads actually have resolutions and the action focuses down on three characters who get meaningful amounts of stuff to do.

As the film goes on, I think it becomes clearer and clearer where Star Wars pulled from the original book. Not that it feels retroactively derivative, but it’s noticeable. Effects were nice in IMAX but didn’t feel like anything particularly innovative or revelatory.

I was surprised how much of this felt prologue-y given we’d already had a whole long movie of introduction. This one didn’t actually feel particularly long for its runtime but it’s hard not to feel the whole shebang at five-and-half hours feels a little bit inefficient. Could it not have been a very tight, very long single movie?

I was worried when people were saying there is set-up for a third film that it would be MCU-style endless set-up with no resolutions but I thought this wrapped up the two-film plotline pretty well while leaving the door open to the now-inevitable third film. Good but not the second coming for me. ★★★★☆
  • Skondo wrote:
    Titane. Not for me, just thought it was ridiculous. Not thrilling or scary in the slightest, just seemed like an eighties b-movie. Dreadful.
    Oh Skondo. Oh Skondo my dear.

Go on then DS, what did I miss? To me, it just wasn’t interesting, thrilling or horrifying, it was simply rather dull and a bit silly.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021) - This has a perfectly cromulent central storyline but it’s like Sony commissioned a sixth-former to execute the script. The writing is poor. It seems like there is meant to be some kind of abuse theme going on but it’s so mangled that it doesn’t work. There’s also a number of moments that outright don’t make any sense:
    * There’s a scene of Carnage going apeshit in a prison where, because the symbiotes are sensitive to sound, there is just inexplicably no alarm going off despite prisoners being let out left, right and centre.
    * In a scene where Eddy and Venom have a falling out, a guy shouts at them to keep it down… but he’s not a neighbour, just a random guy walking past the flat in the street. Why does he care?
    * There’s a scene after Eddy and Venom have fallen out where Venom possesses a random guy at a Halloween party in a bar. There’s a bunch of stuff in this scene that suggests Venom is inadvertently drawing parallels to queer pride (“I’m out of the Eddie closet” is the example in my notes) yet there’s nothing in the imagery to suggest it’s a gay bar - it’s like it was originally intended to be but an executive kiboshed it, leaving a lengthy scene that doesn’t really make sense. (Edit: I just went back and checked the establishing shots - absolutely nothing about it being a gay bar and a woman attempts to hit on Venom just before he makes the quoted line).
    I preferred this to the first film (the story hangs together better and the colour grading is less generic) but it seems like a combo of poor writing and perhaps some executive interference have cocked it all up. ★★☆☆☆

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!