Movie Record 2024 Edition
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Watched You'll Never Find Me last night. Enjoyed the build up and had no problem with the ending.
    Spoiler:
  • Yeah the same thing happened to me with 
    Spoiler:
    [you can click spoiler because I'm 90% sure you've seen it but I'm not sure who else has so ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK].

Clue: it has Neill Maskell in.  No, not that one.
  • With regards to YNFM.
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nefarious is a two hander in which a psychiatrist has to determine if a serial killer is insane or not; the killer apparently possessed by a demon.

While the dialogue may be a bit like a beginners' guide to theology, the acting is excellent; particularly Sean Patrick Flanery. It makes it worth watching. The last few seconds lets it down a bit but I still enjoyed this.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Nefarious is a two hander in which a psychiatrist has to determine if a serial killer is insane or not; the killer apparently possessed by a demon.

While the dialogue may be a bit like a beginners' guide to theology, the acting is excellent; particularly Sean Patrick Flanery. It makes it worth watching. The last few seconds lets it down a bit but I still enjoyed this.

Flannery is so so good. The last 10 or so is laughable but everything before is great fun.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Nefarious is a two hander in which a psychiatrist has to determine if a serial killer is insane or not; the killer apparently possessed by a demon. While the dialogue may be a bit like a beginners' guide to theology, the acting is excellent; particularly Sean Patrick Flanery. It makes it worth watching. The last few seconds lets it down a bit but I still enjoyed this.
    Flannery is so so good. The last 10 or so is laughable but everything before is great fun.

Yeah - they could have cut the whole
    Spoiler:
    and it would have benefited from it.
  • 17. Come True
    I watched this last year and although I really liked it, I can't say that I remembered that much of it (I may have been under the influence) so it was due a rewatch. So glad I did, because this time I loved it. A really solid central performance anchors a fever-dream like film about a young woman who is struggling with insomnia and nightmares and so joins a sleep research clinic. Some incredibly unnerving imagery, a dread atmosphere, brilliantly stylised direction and a superb soundtrack all make for a compulsive and disturbing watch. 9

18. Mission Colon Impossible Dash Dead Reckoning Colon Part One
    See Tom Run! Over punctuated 7th film in the franchise which until this one has been getting better and better since the dismal 2nd one. Despite being nearly 3hrs this rattles by like a McGuffin on an unstoppable passenger train heading towards an exploding bridge. It's great fun and has some truly spectacular and extended set piece action sequences which are incredible to watch and are brilliantly directed. But despite this and the genuine thrill of seeing Old Tom performing the stunts, I found myself being taken out of the film by some shonky special effects (which at times resemble really great video games cutscenes - not awful but also obviously fake) and at times ADHD editing. There's also a few unintentionally hilarious bad scripting moments culminating in a Simpsons-esque 'MENDOOOZAAA!' that made me do a LOL. Nowhere near as good as the last one with the lack of Henry Cavill's mustache really felt throughout. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • DS is wrong about Come True.

He's right about Red Rooms though, very interesting film. A couple of things I wasn't sure on
    Spoiler:

Other than that it's a skillful deep dive into morbid darkness, not a film I came close to second guessing and not something I'll be forgetting in a hurry. Good rec.
  • I watched Stardust yesterday and it was perfect Sunday daytime sofa stuff, scratched a fantasy itch I've got at the moment.
  • Stardust is a great example of that sort of thing. Much better than I thought it would be.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I watch Stardust fairly regularly. Usually on a rainy Sunday. Need more on a quest type light hearted stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Dungeons and Dragons hit that mark too
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep enjoyed that far more than I was expecting to.
  • Same, latest d&d was great. We're in a right fantasy/fairy tale mood atm so any recs appreciated. We watched Tale of Tales last week which kicked us off, but it seems a genre that's not been given much love in recent years. Tempted by Gilliams Brothers Grimm although I hear it's not a great one.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I mean if you're going back, and I'm sure these have dated badly, but stuff like Willow and Krull I remember liking as a kid.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Princess Bride never fails
  • Legend is a classic for good reason.
  • All good suggestions but watched TPB and Willow in the last couple of years and was hoping for things I hadn't seen before. Krull and Legend perhaps, seen both but not for a decade+.
  • Hmm. What about The Green Knight? Pan’s Labryinth?
  • Or go fully retro and watch the old Sinbad movies, Jason & the Argonauts, etc.
  • This is flawed but almost great iirc (Paperhouse):

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0098061/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jason & the Argonauts is the Sunday film for me - when I watch it I can almost smell the Sunday roast cooking.
  • OG Clash of the Titans
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • We're deffo going to do some harryhausen for sure but was really after some more modern ones, stuff like Pans Labyrinth but not that because it's been seen loads.

Appreciate the recs tho lads.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Golden Compass? It's not a great film, but has some unintentionally funny bits in it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oh, how could I forget one of my favourites that I've recently watched John Carter of Mars, a bit sci-fi but definitely has the fantasy feels.
  • Flash Gordon is a go to Sunday afternooner for me.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Has anyone ever heard of the Lord of the Rings films?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!