The Whisky thread
  • I don't think i've ever changed my mind about something so drastically in such a short space of time. Whisky went from being one of my least favourite of all alcohols- one level above french cooking brandy, perhaps- to now being the onl alcohol thing i drink. Madness. 

Need to keep an eye on this early. Never understood how people got too into alcohol but suddenly it seems like an easy trap to fall into.

It's an age thing.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Finally got round to trying one of them there Annandale Man o' Swords. I've been intrigued by this particular sherried and peated Lowland dram since I first heard about it but the price has always put me off, kinda understandable though as everything released under this line (and the unpeated Man O' Words) is single cask and cask strength. 

6 years old, 61.1% abv, and very nice it is too - really good balance between the peat and sherry with plenty of fruity grain notes coming through, and it drinks 5 or 6% abv lower than it's proof would have you imagine. Will be buying more if I can get them at a reasonable price, just hope the other casks are are match for this one. 

BejrdO4.jpg
  • And yeah I'm back on the Scotch. I've really enjoyed my time with bourbon and rye and I've found a few new bottles that are gonna make my regular rotation alongside my trusty Four Roses Single Barrel and Wild Turkey Rare Breed, but malted barley is calling to me. Anyhoo, this is my current bourbon-rye selection (oh, and Tennessee Whiskey ffs), a good few of these are repeat buys as well. Think they'll keep me going for a while. 

P8XJwz3.jpg
  • Just bought a couple of bottles of the inaugural release from Stewart Laing's new Islay's new distillery, Ardnahoe. Got early access due to society membership, and while the price for a bottle is £10 higher than I hoped for and £20 higher than I ideally wanted, after buying overpriced American whiskey for the last few months I've just kinda accepted it. Plus y'know, a new Islay distillery!

Looks and sounds great though; 5 years old, matured in ex-bourbon and ex-oloroso sherry casks, 50% abv, no artificial colouring, and no chill-filtering. Delivery time could be up to 2 to 3 weeks (oof,) I'll report back when it arrives and I've had a chance to try it. 

NIYPWec.jpg
  • Early anniversary present from the wife, makes a change to co-op own brand, engraved glass too!

jk5ePyi.jpeg

(StS lagavulin courtesy of our Shabbs <3)
  • Great stuff, and happy early anniversary!
  • Awesome stuff Nick. The StS Lag is a nice touch.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    One of my all time favourites there, congrats Nick.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What's the Lagavulin toy thing made from? Looks like a wood grain on the right leg thing. Cool little trinket
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Looks 3d printed to me.
  • Lagavulin 16 is def my fave of what i've tried so far.  Got a bottle of this today, hoping for something similar but different? it will be the first time ive tried cask strength. If i don't like it, then at least it will last me long enough until i inevitably change my mind. 
    220519-Crown-Melbourne-Cellar-Co-Lagavulin12yo2020Release_x660.jpg?v=1655945454
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cardhu Gold Reserve over the weekend.  Still among my favourites.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Couple of drops of water in a cask strength will change it completely. In fact, the same can be said of all whisky.
  • I usually like water with cask strength stuff but the Port Cortado Old Perth was so much better at the full 55.8%. Finished it on Saturday - after an early flurry of moaning last month I'd recommend it. Not as amazing as the OP standard cask OP tho.
  • Lagavulin 16 is def my fave of what i've tried so far.  Got a bottle of this today, hoping for something similar but different? it will be the first time ive tried cask strength. If i don't like it, then at least it will last me long enough until i inevitably change my mind.

Fantastic stuff. I managed to try the 2022 12 year old and loved it. Compared to the 16 there's no sherry finishing in the 12 and it is more peat forward, and while the abv isn't anything crazy it's a decent jump up (but like Gremill says, a little water can help if you need it). I'd say the whole experience is more different than not though.

Would definitely recommend trying one of the annual Lagavulin Distillers Edition releases if you haven't already. The couple I've had have been lovely.
  • Gotta say I don't usually add water to whisky at any strength these days unless I'm getting some harsh ethyl acetate or other unpleasant heads/tails notes or a bit too much sulphur. Should probably just pour that kinda stuff away tbh.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    A tiny drop can really change the taste. It's worth a try even just as an experiment.
  • Oh I have tried adding a drop or two of water to a wide variety of drams over the years, but I usually ended up drinking the rest neat unless it was a rough one. The few I preferred with water I didn't enjoy enough for them to make it to my regular rotation.

It's not something I do as standard anymore, but maybe I should give it a try again. Maybe with that Man O' Swords, I mean it's delicious as it is but what's it gonna hurt?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I always try something new straight and then with a splash of water.  Depends on the situation too. If I'm going to be drinking a fair few then I tend to go for some water but it's never a large amount.

Some definitely taste better with water. But that's if you are really going to savour it and actively taste.
  • Maybe i will give it a go. i tried with ice once- but only once- because i didn't like the watered down taste/concept? I say taste/concept because i really can't tell if it's one or the other. It might just be some weird psychological glitch, perhaps branching from the same part of my brain that gives me default aversion to ever playing a videogame with mods.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ice kills the flavour. A drop of room temp water brings it out
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ice isn't a good idea if you are trying to appreciate a drink. Wouldn't use it with a single malt.

It's perfectly fine with some blends - makes for an enjoyable drink even though you lose a lot of the flavours. 

Again it depends on the situation. If I'm in the pub with friends drinking beer and I'm on the whiskey then that's how I drink it.

I have evian at home for trying with malts. Not in the fridge.
  • If I've got a bourbon I'll always chuck some ice in the glass. I find it's especially tasty if you dunk it, but I'm annoyed that none of my American friends told me.
  • Not sure if imagining things but this latest bottle def does something to me if give it a good sniff. Maybe all the bottles do that and i wasnt sniffing hard enough. It's like it tickles me somewhere. Almost makes me feel a bit high. 

Or maybe this is normal? i thought people were sticking theirs noses in because they liked the smell, not because it actually did something.
  • Bought a bottle of 8yo sherried Canadian Corn whiskey...
    PXL-20240514-183236674.jpg

Waiting until the weekend to taste it, but it sounds like it'll be interesting.
  • Ooh, yeah I'd try that. The bottle gets bonus points for the moose.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!