The Uncanny Valley p.II (NSFW)
  • I was thinking of posting a pic of one of heavy rain's protagonists in full frontal nudity.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Ellen Page must be a bit annoyed at Sony what with this and then another of their developers getting quite close to using her unlikeness unauthorisedly.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • And in a far superior game.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    All we need now is to discover the theme music to Beyond recites verses from the Koran.
  • It's not an either or, just a snapshot of making your vision vs following populist trends. Point being that if you don't like his games, ignore them. They're hardly making waves to the degree that his "bullfuck" is gonna impact upon your own preferred genre in the way COD altered the online FPS, for example. If it's not of interest and doesn't impact your stuff of interest, seems a bit odd to say the maker should fuck off.
    I'm not that interested in FPSes, military or otherwise.  I do like games that explore relationships and emotions.  My concern is that if Cage is lauded, as he has been, as the master of games exploring such themes, then more money will be mindlessly pumped into this shit instead of where it is more deserved.  From what I played of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain (I refuse to buy a copy of Beyond) all he does is stifle gameplay into trite interactivity, where other games are exploring how to mature games without hamstringing them at the same time.

So, yes, I would dearly love him to fuck off and stay fucked off.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Well he bored Yoshida to sleep and now this clusterfuck so it seems unlikely Sony will be bank rolling him again. My guess, Kickstarter in 12 months.
  • I'm not the biggest fan of The Walking Dead but surely that, being the recipient of many GOTY awards, shows how to do a game of this type? David Cage's games just don't come close, despite his push for "emotion" even though he has no idea how to convey it.
  • I don't see them so much as games as a way of involving people more in a pre-set narrative. Looking at it that way, it has value, just not as much as some people like to make out.
  • Heavy rain was pretty good for what it did (and probably gave walking dead a few ideas about smoke n mirrors agency). Farenheit started well but wen all crazy when it went from cops n robbers to illuminati Ai internet beings.

• adkm1979 wrote:
    I'm not that interested in FPSes, military or otherwise.  I do like games that explore relationships and emotions.  My concern is that if Cage is lauded, as he has been, as the master of games exploring such themes, then more money will be mindlessly pumped into this shit instead of where it is more deserved.  From what I played of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain (I refuse to buy a copy of Beyond) all he does is stifle gameplay into trite interactivity, where other games are exploring how to mature games without hamstringing them at the same time. So, yes, I would dearly love him to fuck off and stay fucked off.
    Is he that widely lauded? His games all seem to get mixed responses. And what games are trying to explore relationships/emotions that he's preventing money from reaching? That's a genuine question there - I like that style o'game and would like to play more, but I don't know of many.

Absolutely not saying you can't dislike him and what he does with his games, of course. We all have different likes.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    David Cage - no scarves, no feels.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • He seems to get a lot of financial backing if nothing else. Exclusives with a hollywood star!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Stars.

GOOD GOD. What if it had been Willem Dafoe's wang.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Good name for a band that.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Stars. GOOD GOD. What if it had been Willem Dafoe's wang.

Willem dafoe does anyold shit now. Even pimps out fish fingers.
  • Why does Sony put so much stock in a failed filmmaker?
  • Is he? He made quite a cool game (omikron) which was a really long time ago. Even David bowie was involved in that one!
  • I really enjoyed Omikron.
  • Oops, forgot Dafoe was in it too.
  • Would the developer be safe from a lawsuit if they can produce a fully naked image of Bill Dafoe to prove that a nude 3d model is standard practise ?
    SFV - reddave360
  • No, they just get double lawsuit.
  • Is he that widely lauded? His games all seem to get mixed responses. And what games are trying to explore relationships/emotions that he's preventing money from reaching? That's a genuine question there - I like that style o'game and would like to play more, but I don't know of many. Absolutely not saying you can't dislike him and what he does with his games, of course. We all have different likes.
    Was he not one of the people rolled out to spearhead the PS4 reveal?  That, to me, indicates his standing in Sony's eyes.  As for him preventing money from reaching other games, obviously I can't say that money he got would have gone anywhere near certain other projects, but for example two games I've played recently were Rain and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, both of which explored these themes while doing a better job of still being a game.  Both would have benefited from extra pennies.

The fact that you say that you like that 'style' of game, though, makes me think we are talking at cross purposes.  I don't think that 'style' of game is a game at all, and it depresses me that drivel like Journey and The Walking Dead are being mentioned.  These things make the mistake of removing anything that makes the game a game, and all that's left is a story told by people who aren't as good at storytelling as those they are imitating.  That's why I'd rather see titles like the ones I've mentioned above get more attention.  The gameplay was less challenging than many games, but it felt like more TLC would have improved that aspect without harming the storytelling.  Cage takes his extra pennies and pumps them into digitising Ellen Page's chuff for extra maturity, with no interest in making more of a game.

Sorry, I think my reply is all over the shop here, hope you can untangle my meaning.
  • I'd sooner trifle with Journey or Walking Dead than Cageware but only under some kind of irresistible pressure.
  • Have I said the thing about how we need a different term to describe Cage's work, Journey, Walking Dead, etc. 'cause they're not trying to be games, recently?
  • I watched Gravity this weekend. Unlike many stories in games, it shows you can tell a very compelling and personal story with very little detail in the way of background information and contrived plot devices.

Stories turn to shit when too much fluff is thrown in. Witness Halo, Metal Gear, Assassins Creed. Unless a writer is talented, of course. But gaming has no one on the level of say, Umberto Eco or even George Martin.

That's why I tend to gravitate more to simple, quiet stories where the environment tells the story or the scenario is simple. Ico, SoTC, Rez all do this. Ocarina of Time does it too, even as a simple fairy tale. Halo did it once before it became an unsubtle allegory for religious fundamentalism and Machiavellian strategy.

David Cage makes games that mechanically are capable of supporting a good story. Unfortunately, he is the writer and his love of non sequiturs makes his games look as obtuse and irritating as that insult to science that is Melancholia.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • But what defines a true game then? I think it's stupid to say Journey (which I loved) or Walking dead aren't. They're interactive, therefore a game same as any other. Sure they're a little less interactive than some other games but that doesn't mean they aren't proper games.
    Of course you can not enjoy them but to suggest they aren't really "games" is kind of stupid.

Cage is very hit and miss. He doesn't have the best grip on characters and story but I liked that he actually followed through on making your actions count in Heavy Rain. Sure I failed some stuff due to awkward QTE stuff but the added weight of your actions helped the game big time.

I like that sony is willing to take big budget chances on people like Cage and Ueda. It doesn't work out all the time but it's better than just funneling that money into generic shooter 6.

I imagine contract stuff on nudity in films and such would be very particular on how much is shown and for how long. Surely this would breach something in there.
  • AJ wrote:
    Have I said the thing about how we need a different term to describe Cage's work, Journey, Walking Dead, etc. 'cause they're not trying to be games, recently?

I just go with "non-games", because it efficiently defines their cultural context while denying them much else.

Actually, I'd say Walking Dead is the most qualified insofar as it actually provides some kind of provision in the development of the narrative for player agency/choice. Journey is a very pretty, efficient conveyor belt with trivial interactivity and no real way to "fail" in terms of plot or mechanics/rules - it's pure ergodic literature albeit not a terribly sophisticated instance in the end. Cage's stuff is just shit.
  • It should be stated that the non-game field is now pretty rich of breadth re: topics and content, running all the way from Flower, Noby-Noby and Dear Esther to a slew of Flash stuff on novel experiences like Dys4ia. There could certainly be a thread to cover them and prop new instances. I suppose we could dignify them all with Interactive Fiction/Essay label, since they do operate at such.

Unfortunately I just don't find them especially interesting. For me, the intellectually compelling challenge is marriage of writing and (fresh) themes with the rule states of games and more open-ended simulation. If a Journey was twinned with Dark Souls it'd be supremely satisfying.
  • What defines a game?

I keep it simple. The Duck test is enough for me. Chess, Journey, Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, Halo, Street Fighter, Wii Fit, Electroplankton, Farmville, etc are all games to me.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Problem is, critical categories: Putting Dear Esther up against Halo is crucially unjust to the former. Like, if you're looking for another thing in Halo's bracket, in any game's bracket, Esther has literally no answer to it, as in it wasn't even conceived to provide one - you can't get 'better' at it. I think that makes it important to distinguish the mediums to give each a fair shot. They're serving highly distinct ends.

Mere pushing of buttons + visual feedback does not mean they're the same species, though clearly there's some kind of slack commercial conditioning around selling them as if they were.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!