Twitter twa...I mean, chatter (And various social media guff)
  • If I see someone making the 'educated' right wing arguements they can still get in the sea.
    Twitter is now a place where cowards express their views without fear of recrimination and twitter do nothing about it.
    While it would be an interesting experiment, I can't really see there being any earth shattering results.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    Your experiment sucks.
    I was having a poke to see if my suspicions were right, like taking a different route to work to see which way is quicker. I'm not presenting it as scientific findings but as an anecdote of personal experience related to a news story.
    You've still drawn a conclusion from your sucky experiment and anecdata though.
  • Well the thing that made it interesting was also the kind of one-off that would have fucked any results anyway. But I still found it interesting.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • djchump wrote:
    IanHamlett wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    Your experiment sucks.
    I was having a poke to see if my suspicions were right, like taking a different route to work to see which way is quicker. I'm not presenting it as scientific findings but as an anecdote of personal experience related to a news story.
    You've still drawn a conclusion from your sucky experiment and anecdata though.
    Am I not allowed to come to conclusions from my own experiences? The right-wing account was blocked and had more comments deleted than the left-wing account, even discounting the events surrounding the massive retweet. This lines up with rather well actual scientific findings about free speech in universities.
  • I suppose the issue I'd have with it, and your terming of it as an "experiment" (to give it a bit more gravitas and ground it in reason), is that really it was an exercise in confirmation bias.

You believe that there is a growing authoritarian leftist movement, which crushes dissent and even reasoned alternative views, and that this represents a problem (I'm not clear for what or whom). Your experiment, if you take the data seriously, appears to bear this out.

However in reality all you've shown is that there are ignorant stubborn fragile aggressive bastards everywhere, and for some reason they gravitate to social media platforms. You could do exactly the same from a "leftist" perspective in rightish wing places and receive the same unreasonable responses. You could do the same, without the labels (i.e.: offer gentle but different views on things taken very seriously by ignoramuses), in any forum and you'll get the same data.

I suppose the question remains, I think Brooks may have posed it first - what exactly is the threat? Or is it simple disappointment that absolute shites exist all over the political spectrum?
  • I find myself in general agreement with IH on the 'authoritarian left', as he calls it, although the label could do with some refining.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Am I not allowed to come to conclusions from my own experiences?
    Depends, what significance level did you choose prior and what were the final p-values for the right-wing troll, left-wing troll and control accounts?
    IanHamlett wrote:
    The right-wing account was blocked and had more comments deleted than the left-wing account, even discounting the events surrounding the massive retweet. This lines up with rather well actual scientific findings about free speech in universities.
    ?

Also, was this all tweeting and website comments sections? (As in, places where people are entirely free to block and delete stuff because there's no free speech there?)
  • So do I, for what it's worth - I mean there are certainly people out there who appear totally intolerant of any dissent of their accepted view of things, and it can have insidious effects.

I just don't think it's a particularly leftist phenomenon - I believe it's an inherent trait in humans. It's often extraordinarily difficult to change one's mind on things, even when presented with overwhelming evidence.
  • I didn't call it an experiment to mislead anyone as to it's scientific validity. Experiments aren't limited to science.

I do believe there's a growing authoritarian left (regressive left doesn't necessarily imply wanting to censor). It saddens me that people don't see this as a problem. Ideas should be challenged to see if they still stand. If expressing some opinions, or telling some jokes, becomes too costly, then we all miss out.
  • We all miss out on what though? Someone being on twitter, or some UKIP gimp giving a talk at a student union?
    Well, there's rivers being cried over here.
  • OK, well your terming meant I took it as I stated, and if that's not how you meant it I apologise.

However, I still don't believe there is more of a problem with stupid people on the left than stupid people on the right.
  • djchump wrote:
    We all miss out on what though? Someone being on twitter, or some UKIP gimp giving a talk at a student union? Well, there's rivers being cried over here.
    I stand for free speech as a universal right.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/15/peter-tatchell-racist-no-platform-controversy-silences-freedom-of-speech
  • Of course there are authoritarian people on both the left and right. However, while those on the right are generally laughed at, discredited and mocked, those on the left seem to actually have some influence.

Edit- to clarify, im thinking particularly with regards free speech.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    OK, well your terming meant I took it as I stated, and if that's not how you meant it I apologise. However, I still don't believe there is more of a problem with stupid people on the left than stupid people on the right.
    Nor do I. I kinda think being right wing is, on its own, evidence of stupidity. But as a lefty I see it as my job to help keep my house in order.
  • Of course there are authoritarian people on both the left and right. However, while those on the right are generally laughed at, discredited and mocked, those on the left seem to actually have some influence.
    I think one of the big differences for me is that those on the right have more often been in a position of power and able to do something about what they don't like - in general it seems the left often haven't been in significant positions of power and so when they *do* get some control (e.g. student unions/NUS punters trying to draw up well-meaning but ultimately-flawed rules and guidelines about "safe spaces", people on twitter realising they can easily curate their own echo-chambers) they over-egg it and it takes a while to figure out where to draw the fuzzy lines.

All seems like growing pains to me, presented with lashings of clickbait and agenda-grinding from people who want to make a name for themselves. Clueless leftie dimwits will figure it out eventually, when it all comes round to bite them in the arse (which is what is happening).
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    We all miss out on what though? Someone being on twitter, or some UKIP gimp giving a talk at a student union? Well, there's rivers being cried over here.
    I stand for free speech as a universal right. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/15/peter-tatchell-racist-no-platform-controversy-silences-freedom-of-speech
    Weird how that's in a leftie newspaper/website, eh?

Also, this seems weird:
    Cowling’s view is, no doubt, extreme. But it isn’t no-platforming. If she wants to refuse to engage with one of the most experienced and committed radical campaigners in the country, that is her great loss, but she is within her rights to do so. Her view doesn’t represent a corporate policy on the part of the NUS. And it is she who will be absent from the debate, not Tatchell. He will still be able to speak; indeed, in the end, his voice has been lent greater weight by the controversy.
    So, he wasn't no-platformed, and there wasn't a problem, just a single person being a bit dim who, in years to come, will probably look back on it and grimace with the thought of "gosh, I was a bit daft about that, wasn't I".
  • djchump wrote:
    … and there wasn't a problem, just a single person being a bit dim who, in years to come, will probably look back on it and grimace with the thought of "gosh, I was a bit daft about that, wasn't I".

I think this is the case more often than not.
  • It's the internet though, so we need to judge everyone, all the time, for everything.
  • I’m judging you right now.
  • I should probably stop masturbating then.
  • djchump wrote:
    IanHamlett wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    I stand for free speech as a universal right. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/15/peter-tatchell-racist-no-platform-controversy-silences-freedom-of-speech
    Weird how that's in a leftie newspaper/website, eh? Also, this seems weird:
    Cowling’s view is, no doubt, extreme. But it isn’t no-platforming. If she wants to refuse to engage with one of the most experienced and committed radical campaigners in the country, that is her great loss, but she is within her rights to do so. Her view doesn’t represent a corporate policy on the part of the NUS. And it is she who will be absent from the debate, not Tatchell. He will still be able to speak; indeed, in the end, his voice has been lent greater weight by the controversy.
    So, he wasn't no-platformed, and there wasn't a problem, just a single person being a bit dim who, in years to come, will probably look back on it and grimace with the thought of "gosh, I was a bit daft about that, wasn't I".
    It's not weird that it's a leftie paper, unless you interpreted "authoritarian left" as my name for the entire left (excluding me) and not a subset that required its own label. I picked this because it happened yesterday. If you want more examples, google "no platform", there's been quite a bit of it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    P values are bullshit, left and right are also bullshit.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Trying to label a broad range of political opinions on a linear spectrum is never going to represent anyone very well. A four pointed political compass is far better but still groups all economic issues on one line and all social issues on another.

The terms aren't as well understood though.

bothaxes.gif

I'm in the green bit btw.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Twitter is for absolute fucknuggets tbh. Worth it for the occasional lol but anyone who takes any of that shit serious should be rightly shot in the skull. Includes anyone who discusses GamerGate which still enters my feed on a daily fucking basis.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I include myself in this fucknugget quota, obvs.
  • I remember finding out gamergate was still a thing. I thought it was a bigger than average twitter storm and I'd been about six months without hearing a peep, and there it was, like two cats in a wardrobe. Ears down, eyes wide open and hissing.
  • Twitter is for absolute fucknuggets tbh. Worth it for the occasional lol but anyone who takes any of that shit serious should be rightly shot in the skull. Includes anyone who discusses GamerGate which still enters my feed on a daily fucking basis.

Registered fuck nugget reporting. I always feel like core purpose is almost fucked now thanks to stuff like gamergate and the people on both sides that perpetuate. Reaching out to people is done through an air of weariness and caution, and if you didn't get in with certain groups years ago then they have no time for you. Makes getting your work shared a total nightmare.
  • Well what did you expect trying to sell images of feminists banging videogame characters while saying "it's about ethics in games journalism" and doing air-quotes? There's literally nobody that isn't offended by that.

What is it you share through twitter?
  • Writing and videos what I done
  • This sounds familiar. Lat time I looked I found TempY and Mr Tempy but they didn't seem like you.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!